PEB Forum Veteran
Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis left/right knees APR 07
HTO LEFT KNEE 28 NOV 07
HTO RIGHT KNEE 28 AUG 08, 1st LIMDU begins
EAOS EXPIRES MAY 09....involuntary extensions till IPEB results returned
2ND LIMDU ENDS 27 AUG 09
PEB/Pilot Program SEP 2009
VA Docs OCT 2009
MED Package for Bilateral post-HTO, bilateral Osteoarthritis, PTSD, asthma, Sleep Apnia w/cpap complete
PEB Package Sent to DC DEC 2, 2009....158 days today..
RESULTS IN.....20% Navy unfit and 90% VA

What is your location Gunny?
Hope yours comes back soon and you receive the result you want the first time!
v/r,
nwlivewire

nwlivewire,

I'm in Everett, Wa From your handle, I take it your in my nieghborhood too. I'll keep you posted here on my results and hope you do the same.

Yes Gunny:

I will keep you and this site posted on my progress as I move through this process.

I have just been referred to an MEB - even though I HAVE NOT reached "optimal medical care". I haven't even completed the original treatment care plan as established and set forth by my Nurse Case Manager and CB-WTU Colonel Doctor in my command.

I'm being told that I will have to relocate back to Fort Lewis, WA for the duration of my medical treatments. Why the Army insists on continueing to disrupt my medical treatment care plans is beyond me. I've had 7 (yes, that's right) SEVEN case managers, and multiple MTF Primary Care Doctors. I have finally JUST started to recieve some basic level of continuity of care. And now, they want to disrupt this process once again, transfer me back to Fort Lewis before I even complete the treatment care plan THEY developed for me, and assign me YET ANOTHER Nurse Case Manager and MTF Doctor.

I am so disgusted with this system I could spit nails. And then they wonder WHY it takes so long to get through the medical treatment phase and somehow THEY think it's the Soldier's fault?
Oh please. Give me a break!

According to the Wounded Warrior Regs, I am to be referred to an MEB WHEN I have met "optimal medical care". The CB-WTU doctor has made the determination that I have, and has referred me to the MEB for processing. But if these people would read my treatment care plan that THEY developed for me, they will clearly see that I have NOT completed this plan, and am almost completed with this plan.

I am sick of bean-counters playing havoc with my medical and psychiatric treatment care. Don't they realize how counter-productive this is to my receiving adequate and timely medical and psychiatric care? It's just penny-wise and pound-foolishness and the only outcome is more expensive in the end.

As a Citizen-Soldier who was mobilized for this war, I'm afraid I've grown much more cynical of this medical treatment aspect of military service. I no longer trust that decisions made by the military regarding my medical/psychiatric are being made in MY best interests anymore. I'm beginning to wonder if they ever were.

Sorry I'm so down in the mouth about this. It's just that I left home for mobilization back in June of 2006, and since then, I've gone to war, got injured myself, came back from the theater prematurely to say goodby and bury a husband, saw my only child return from his Navy service a 40% disabled vet, and finally returned to my home to find it an empty one.

Life can throw you some serious curve balls and this goat-rope of the Army Medical and PDES process is just more stress on my plate that doesn't need to happen that way. I've only been home 18 months during this past 46 months. I may as well have been stationed in Korea, or on "the rock", or sent to Leavenworth for all the Army cares. I sure have my days of being in the dumps about this - no suprise there, huh.

I'm doing my best to keep my head up from all the family changes, financial changes, dual-debt load and only one paycheck now. Injured only child (Adult) now living with me, his preparing to enter college this fall. I just wish the bean-counters would get off my Commands a$$ and let me stay at home to finish my treatment care plan before they send my paperwork forward to the MEB. Then they can transfer me up to Fort Lewis when I complete my treatment care plan. At that point, I will be legitimately in the "optimal care" zone for transfer to Fort Lewis.

But it's not happening this way and I'm being referred to the MEB BEFORE I complete my treatment care plan. I've been told that I can complete my treatment care plan up at Fort Lewis while I am waiting for the MEB. And when I asked how long that would take, I was told 1-2 years! Good God have mercy!

None of this makes sense to me anymore. Why don't they just leave this Citizen-Soldier in place at home, and let me continue to drive on and finish down here? It would actually take less time AND cost them LESS money.

What a goat-rope! I'm beginning to think this Command is treating me like a numerical "hot potato" - passing me back and forth between Fort Lewis and CB-WTU. Scrubbing their bean-counter books at my expense, instead of treating me like the Wounded warrior that I am.

I mean, I hate to think this way about the Army. But no one has come up with ANY rational answers as to WHY this transfer NOW is in my best interests when I have yet to complete my medical treatment plan and reach "optimal medical care". I am so close - yet so far, and this is SOOOO disruptive to my getting adequate and consistant care and getting continuity of care. The only thing my command has said is, "Don't worry. The VA will take care of you."

Pretty sad to think the Army simply wants to pass the buck. And at my physical an mental health expense.
v/r,
nwlivewire

Did you get your findings because I have OA in my left knee??? Please let me know.

Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis left/right knees APR 07
HTO LEFT KNEE 28 NOV 07
HTO RIGHT KNEE 28 AUG 08, 1st LIMDU begins
EAOS EXPIRES MAY 09....involuntary extensions till IPEB results returned
2ND LIMDU ENDS 27 AUG 09
PEB/Pilot Program SEP 2009
VA Docs OCT 2009
MED Package for Bilateral post-HTO, bilateral Osteoarthritis, PTSD, asthma, Sleep Apnia w/cpap complete
PEB Package Sent to DC DEC 2, 2009......waiting on results.

braveheart112702,

No results yet. My four month mark, 120 days, comes in just a few days. I do expect the IPEB results soon.

OK... let me know when you get your results.

I have another question if you don't mind answering... I was wondering do you have a loss of cartilage? If so, is it the main reason why you're being MED Board? I have loss of cartilage in my left knee and my doc told me he cannot return me to fit for full duty which I agree because I have so much in pain in my left knee and I believe I may have OA in my right knee.

Anyways, I need to leave... please keep me updated.

Bilateral OA with cartilage lose in both as demonstrated on w/b X-ray. I had bi-lat high tibial osteotomy on both which has helped with some of the pain but caused new pain. Pattela tendinitus etc. Still in pain with OA.

Im pretty much in the same boat as you. I have been on 5 limited duty boards yes 5 since 2007. I know your suppose to only have 2 but somehow they managed to put me on five. I have osteoarthritis, tore my acl, tore my meniscus twice, have a grade IV chondromalcia tear and yet the Marine corp has managed to keep me on limited duty since 2007. I have had an Acl reconstruction, 2 menisectomies, and microfracture surgery. My doctore has told me my only other option is for a total knee replacement but since i am only 24 that is not a viable option. My peb package went up in Dec 2009 and I haven't heard back since. I am a year past my eas and will be hitting 6 years in the Marine Corps. Gunny hopefully your peb package comes back soon wishing you the best of luck in your process

blackflip,

Keep me posted. Are cases are very simular with the exception of time served. I wish you well and take care of those knees. 145 days and counting but I think I will find out soon.

Findings came back today. UNFIT 20% severence from DON and 90% from VA. Bilateral knee Arthritis with bilateral factor given. Nothing for the PTSD, depression, or bursitis from DON, but got rated with VA. FIGHT OR FLIGHT?

What would be the downside of fighting? Do you agree that you are not unfit due to PTSD/depression/bursitis?

Yes. I agree that I am not unfit because of the PTSD/depression/bursitis. Bad as they are, I could not prove otherwise in trueth. The knees are bad also, but I have full mobility. Can't run, go up and down stairs or ladders without some pain, and certainly can't screen for sea duty/operational duty. The downside of fighting would be that the FPEB finds me fit and then the Navy adminseps me for either 1) Unsuitability for sea/operational duty or 2)failure to meet PFA/BCA standards after 3 failures. I could fight it; however, I have no new evidence to present other than seeing the Doctor for more pain meds and a shot in the hip. I think I should take the money and run.

As a starting point, if you are happy with the results and think they are correct, then you should probably accept. Congratulations on getting findings you agree with and I hope all goes well after your transition!

As for the fit but unsuitable, I have filed a lawsuit in the Court of Federal Claims challenging this policy. In addition, I was recently privileged to give some comments on draft legislation outlawing finding someone fit then separating them for unsuitability. I think the current policy is illegal, but, that aside, it appears that in the near future, Congress will clarify that the military cannot do this.

Jason, I am happy with the UNFIT finding. I certainly would have liked 30% for the knees. With that said, I think I run the risk of being found FIT if I go to a FPEB. My biggest limitations for the knees are not being able to run or go up and down ladders on a ship. Otherwise, I am ok. The PTSD is diagnosed but only superficialy related to my Service in the Navy. The Navy did not find it Unfitting. I have been Unvoluntarely extended past my EAOS for over a year for MED/PEB processing and failed a third Navy BCA in April this year. My thinking is that I should accept the UNFIT finding and post seperation dispute the VA rating for the knees.

Nice I'm glad you got your package pack good luck with everything hopefully mind comes back soon

Good luck and I hope you get what you want. For me, it's close enough. Once I am out, I will get a lawyer and fight for more. Once out, they can't mess with me over 3 PRT failures.

If you don't mind me asking... I am wondering what other disabilities on the VA portion did you get rated to get 90%. Also, I was wondering if you had surgery on your knees??? I have OA in both of my knees but I had a ACL Reconstruction done on Left Knee

No problem.
6604-6847 Obstructive sleep apnia w/CPAP and Obstructive Pulmonary decease 50%, 9434-9411 PTSD Moderate w/major depression 30%, 5237 Lumbar strain 20%, 5252-5019 Left hip strain 10%, 5271-5019 Left ankle strain 10%, 6260 Tinnitus 10%, 7399-7346 GERD w/Hiatal hernia 10%, 6100 Hearing loss, r/ear 10%

Some of these have worsened since my IPEB. However, in my case it would be better to address those issues after separation. I had bilateral high tibial osteotomies on my knees to correct the bow legged condition which was subjecting my inner (medial) meniscus to serious wear. This surgery is really to stave off knee replacement. The 90% is perminant and will only get worse. I have 4 other conditions rated at 0%. Still in Portland?

Thank you for providing the info. I was wondering did the VA give you a form for TDIU or IU??? I think its awesome your getting 90% from the VA :)

I thought you would have a higher rating with the DOD because the of OA in your knees and the fact you had surgery. Can you do full range of motion when it comes to your knees? Also... what was your GAF score for PTSD? I am wondering does it play a big role???

I found out I have OA in right knee over the weekend but its not in my packet yet so I will just wait until I get my first findings then rebut with new evidence. LOL... what makes you think I live in Portland... I live in San Diego...lol.