Pacemaker implant

I am a AD Officer with 4yrs TIS and want to stay in however, I recently had a pacemaker implanted and had a P3 profile I have been throught the MEB and first PEB found unfit. Recently my profile was downgraded to P2 by WRAMC and the cardiologist recommended a MMRB, is there any hope that the Army will keep me?

Rarely they keep people in with implant like yours.

dear sir i am en1 egolf and i recently had an incident while underway, my heart just stopped and i was clinically dead for 5 minutes. i am extremly healthy 43 old and have no prior trouble i was on meds at the time due to some back pain. they gave me flexiril and valium for pain. i firmly believe i had a severe side effect from the flexiril and there is evidence to support it. long story short i was made to get the icd installed even though they could not tell me why my heart had stopped and with me protesting severly. i am about to go for my first meb and then i am sure they will try to discharge me. since i was on my last tour of sea duty and i can no longer be on ship i think i have no fighting chance to stay my last 5 years in the navy. anyhow let me know what happens in your case so i can be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Bruce,

There is quite a difference between a pacemaker and an AICD under the SECNAVINST. You should be advised that you may be offered 30% for a pacemaker if your board is poorly drafted. However, if you experienced sudden cardiac death syndrome and required an AICD, then you should be placed on the TDRL at a 100% rating. This is not a lay opinion, it is based upon my experience representing Navy and Marine Corps members in this setting. Should Jason have time to reply to this post before leaving on his next business trip, you will find that he does not disagree with me on this point. v/r Jack Gately

Bruce,

As Jack said, there is an important distinction between a pacemaker and a AICD. And the SECNAVINST has guidance about rating pacemakers that require at least a 30% TDRL finding (though the VA criteria is actually less generous).

Here is a breakdown of the references:

VASRD Codes:

7018 Implantable cardiac pacemakers:

For two months following hospital admission for implantation or
reimplantation 100

Thereafter:

Evaluate as supraventricular arrhythmias (DC 7010), ventricular
arrhythmias (DC 7011), or atrioventricular block (DC 7015).
Minimum 10

Note: Evaluate implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (AICD’s) under DC 7011.

7011 Ventricular arrhythmias (sustained):

For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation
and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for
indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular
aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-
Defibrillator (AICD) in place 100

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results
in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular
dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent 100

More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year,
or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs
results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left
ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent 60

Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in
dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of
cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram,
echocardiogram, or X-ray 30

Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results
in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or;
continuous medication required 10

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned from the date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia or for ventricular aneurysmectomy. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter.

SECNAVINST 1850.4E:

Enclosure 9, 7000 Series code 1, c.,:

2. Placement of a cardiac pacemaker no longer warrants a 30 percent minimum rating in the VASRD but in accordance with paragraph 9008 the member
generally will be put on the TDRL for at least one period of evaluation.
3. Placement of an AICD (Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator) warrants the unique application of a 100 percent observation rating and placement on the TDRL*.

9008 Indwelling Foreign Bodies
Service members with cardiac, vascular or neurosurgical conditions that require indwelling foreign bodies (e.g., pacemakers , defibrillators, venous umbrellas, and ventriculoperitoneal shunts) who are Unfit will be ratable at a minimum of 30 percent for an 18-month observation period following placement of the device.

*As a point of law, I question the "automatic" TDRL finding. I tend to think that there are circumstances where a permanent finding is appropriate, but this issues would be highly dependent on the specific facts of the case.

A well drafted MEB is very important in such cases (though, really, this is true of all cases).