Package finally sent, nothing seems right

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Well today was the day, I went to MEB and signed all the papers. I am under the legacy program or I guess we can call it the old program. They told me that the package will go in the mail today and we should here an answer back in approx 60 days. They estimate I should have my retirement orders 30 days after that ( I am ADAF and have 20 yrs AD and 10 yrs Res & Guard). Finally I will receive 90 days to out process and such but we are dealing with the military so nothing is set in stone. The local board decided I was to far gone to keep around and I thought I would take the news better than this but I am very worried, I am in no hurry and I believe everything will work out in the end.

This whole process is not going proper. They have refused to show me the commanders letter, he must really hate me. The only narrative summary that they have is from mental health and yes the military had driven me crazy. They are sending my entire medical records to San Antonio for the board, all 2000 pages and we know from experience no government employee is going to read that. I again try to get them to do a ROM for my back and again they refused. I told them I will appeal if it is what I expect and I plan on driving because I’m allergic to jet fuel, still no dice. This is not what I have read these board are suppose to be like, anybody else had this experience? They did say I was more informed than anybody that they have seen come through
So the process is finally moving.

Sept 2010 - asked for board & told it would start beginning of Oct
Apr 26 2011 - finally went to local board
May 4 2011 - clock begins, giving them today just because

JeepFreak,

Shoot me a PM...I am currently going thru the MEB and will be in San Antonio on May 23rd. Not sure about the MEB, but I know the VA is required by law to read every page of your packet. If you have not been to San Antonio/BAMC before, I can point you in some of the right directions and persons to ask.

Jeep Freak,

I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to show you the commander letter if you want to see it. Who wouldn't show it to you... your PEBLO?

PTDraco - I'll PM you later today.
My understanding is there should be a narrative summary for each issue or they are combined on one, not positive.
I get along well with everyone now except the flt commander and I though I was good with the sq commander except for this PT test issue, I will pass it 25 May or die trying. My MH Dr said she would try to get it for me but I need to wait for 4 weeks now, I guess I really don't care because all my Dr think I need to retire and as much as I don't want to I agree, I drank the kool-aid somewhere along the line. I have only asked the PEBLO about the letter, they gave me a copy of everything else. From reading my MH NARSUM, I worse off than what I thought. My PEBLO thinks I will have my results back in about 4 weeks, I was going to bet him on this because of the ROM but I just smiled.

Jeep Freak,

I'm sorry to hear about this... this is bullcrap. I'm not sure what the regulation reads, but I'm pretty sure you should have the option of seeing your commanders letter before it is sent to the IPEB. I'm sure Jason or Mike will chime in and guide you in the right direction. Hearing this crap makes me sick! Good luck to you!

This is a tough situation at this point because of the signing and the forwarding of the MEB package already. I am very aware of shenanigans played at some MTFs with the MEB process. I think at this point, it is most likely the case that any issues will have to be fought out at the Formal PEB (assuming that the IPEB doesn't get it right anyway and awards a correct finding).

If I were to start over, before the MEB was forwarded, I would advise to first request impartial medical review. The review itself, while it might be helpful, is really only secondary to the main goal- triggering the requirement that the MEB Approving Authority responds in writing to your concerns, submitted after the review.

I think it is not permissible to deny access to the records. There is a narrow regulatory exception about cases where disclosure of information would be harmful to the member. This is a pretty rare circumstance and I think that it is challengeable (my response, if this defense would be raised, is that the Privacy Act trumps this, and anyway, appoint an attorney for me or forward to my attorney all information. I think that takes the sails out of this argument).

I screwed up and the worse part was that I knew that from reading this forum. I can't believe everyplace is this screwed up but then again some of the other post are much worse. I was very concerned from the beginning of this process because of the pressure from work and not be on my game from everything else. At this time I've got a pretty good idea what I should get so I will pray that things will come together and try to prepare for battle. My Sq Comm never talked to me about this but I did tell the 1st Sgt and Sq Sup what I felt needed to be done. I still believe the Sq Comm did the right thing for me, we had a long talk about 2 years ago and he never forgot what my goals were. The local board felt I needed to be retired after 2 members (1 former) telling me that I would most likely be returned to duty. I was told that because of the PTSD issues that my package would have priority over the ones that did not, we will see.