Partial Relief Granted; contemplating seeking full relief

aamonroe

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all;

Long story short, after an eight-year fight my husband was offered partial relief, which means medical retirement (40%) vs an involuntary separation. Yay! We were super excited!

Full relief would have been longevity retirement after an unlawful separation. So even though the ultimate end result in both cases is my husband being retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, the difference is hundreds of thousands of dollars in backpay plus approximately $2,000/month in pension.

Our attorney gives us a "better than even" chance that we might prevail in court. (We went to the court of federal claims, but it was remanded, twice, and on the second remand, the AF offered the medical retirement). To be quite honest, it seems as if they are settling. They know they're at fault in part, and don't want to risk getting their asses handed to them again like they did in the Roe/Voe case.

The risk of pursuing full relief back in court, however, is the possiblity, however remote, that the Court might again remand it back to the AFBCMR, who could then possibly rescind the offer of the medical retirement just offered. Has anybody ever heard of a service reneging an offer of partial relief if a service member pursued full relief above their heads? Trying to wager the odds of this happening. If we go for it, and win, it would be a big win (financially speaking), but the risk of losing what we already have been granted is not inconsequential.

Tough call not too many people here make it that far but I can say those that did aggressively litigate (with a small win every time) tend to prevail at the end we have had some here that dragged it out over five or ten years with success. Given that you already have partial relief it would be pretty hard for them to go back on that, and given its O-5 grade I say go for it.