Pay after retirement

FranticJuggler

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere else, I suck at searching keywords!
My husband's ETS date is Sept 27th. I need to know what to expect next. From what I THINK I have gathered- his final pay (Sept 15th- 27th) will be held until DOD clears him of any debts and releases it, so sometime early to mid October but not the typical 1st? Is that about right? And his 1st retirement check and va disability check will be November 1st, is that right as well? I hope I'm not too far off the mark with my expectations, thanks

Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere else, I suck at searching keywords!
My husband's ETS date is Sept 27th. I need to know what to expect next. From what I THINK I have gathered- his final pay (Sept 15th- 27th) will be held until DOD clears him of any debts and releases it, so sometime early to mid October but not the typical 1st? Is that about right? And his 1st retirement check and va disability check will be November 1st, is that right as well? I hope I'm not too far off the mark with my expectations, thanks
The first VA compensation payment will be received on/about 1 November as you predict. It will be compensation for 1-31 October 2019.

The first full month of retired pay will also be for 1-31 October. However, in accordance with current law, his retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation he receives.

Example with 2000 retired pay and 3000 VA compensation:
2000 - 3000 = zero retired pay received.

I believe you are correct about the funds due for the latter part of September. There will not be a VA offset for the September funds since VA comp will not begin to accrue until 1 October.

He might be interested in CRSC if he has combat related disabilities. See CRSC LINK <----

Ron

The first VA compensation payment will be received on/about 1 November as you predict. It will be compensation for 1-31 October 2019.

The first full month of retired pay will also be for 1-31 October. However, in accordance with current law, his retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation he receives.

Example with 2000 retired pay and 3000 VA compensation:
2000 - 3000 = zero retired pay received.

I believe you are correct about the funds due for the latter part of September. There will not be a VA offset for the September funds since VA comp will not begin to accrue until 1 October.

He might be interested in CRSC if he has combat related disabilities. See CRSC LINK <----

Ron
He is 20+ year retired and 100% va I was under the impression he would get both paid in full because of crdp. Am I wrong?

The info above pertains to a disability retiree who does not qualify for another type retired pay at time of disability retirement.

You mentioned in April, "DOD he will be over 20 years & va-wise the ..." Is that 20 years active duty or 20 good years for reserve retirement?

Ron

He is 20+ year retired and 100% va I was under the impression he would get both paid in full because of crdp. Am I wrong?
Is he also receiving a disability retirement? Regular retirements always occur on the first of a certain month. You said, "My husband's ETS date is Sept 27th."

Ron

If he has 20 years AD, he will receive CRDP not to exceed the longevity portion of his retired pay.

Ron

Yes a med board set off the process but he hit his 20 year mark last month (thank God because that went quick!).

Yes a med board set off the process but he hit his 20 year mark last month (thank God because that went quick!).
Then...he is a Chapter 61 retiree who also qualified for a regular retirement.

Chapter 61: Medical separation or retirement
Longevity portion of retired pay: (active duty years x 0.025) = longevity portion of retired pay

1. His DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.
2. CRDP will restore the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
3. He will also receive VA compensation.

The above is based on the info you provided.

If he did not receive a disability retirement, then he will receive all retired pay plus VA comp each month. The fact he did not retire on the 1st suggests a disability retirement.

Ron

DISABILITY RETIREMENT

The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

2.5 percent for each year of service, (which is the longevity portion of retired pay)
or
disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire (retirement orders show the percentage)

Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

(high three average base pay x multiplier) = retired pay

DFAS uses the method that results in the largest payment

Ron