Paying back Tuition Assistance

JosephWC

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am officially being medically retired at 50 % DoD / 80 % DoVA in the middle of a semester that I am using Tuition Assistance for. I found an old thread from 2011 that had conflicting responses, so I was hoping someone could help clear things up for me and anyone else with the same worry. Being that I am being medically RETIRED, will I still have to pay back the tuition assistance for the courses that haven't been completed by my retirement date? Some are stating that, being that this is an involuntary retirement, TA falls into the category of things like bonuses, meaning it will not need to be paid back. Others are stating that, unless the course in completed prior to the retirement date, you must reimburse the TA 100%. Does anyone know what is true? If I have to pay back for this semester, I'm looking at roughly $2,000 out of pocket suddenly. I appreciate any help, thanks.

you're in a similar boat as me, the best thing to do would be to apply for PLD so you can push out 60 days past your class end date.

By PLD I think you are referring to permanent limited duty? If that is what you mean, I am not eligible to do so given my specific circumstances. With that said, I do have 24 days of leave saved up, but for some reason BUPERS cut my orders with a date of June 27th and decided to inform me two days ago lol. I think I can apply to extend out up to 90 days from when I received my notice, but I don't know how to make that happen. My command isn't really in support of helping me with anything. Originally, I had requested August 30th for my retirement date, I'm not entirely sure why the orders were made without any recognition of my leave time saved up or potential to receive permissive PTDY.

Hey @gsfowler , I really appreciate the link! I've read through the information on Tuition Assistance Recoupment, but I'm still having trouble identifying exactly where I would be categorized. I do not plan on withdrawing or not completing the course just because I am leaving the service, so does c-2 still apply?

Hey @gsfowler , I really appreciate the link! I've read through the information on Tuition Assistance Recoupment, but I'm still having trouble identifying exactly where I would be categorized. I do not plan on withdrawing or not completing the course just because I am leaving the service, so does c-2 still apply?

I cannot see where you would be categorized. TA recoupment applies to withdrawals from courses and or failing to make adequate grades.

I'm going to bring this up at work tomorrow to see if anyone has any information for me. Being that I am not withdrawing or failing, I'd really like to see things just settle. Obviously I won't be able to apply for any TA for future semesters, but all courses that are currently being paid for by TA are starting prior to me leaving the service.

You'll need to talk to your education assistance counselor if you want a definite answer. In your goarmyed account you can find a POC. Were you national guard or army reserves? What state did your unit belong to? If you owe them then you would receive notice in the mail. If you fail to pay them by the end of the year then they'll garnish your income tax check for the amount owed.