PCS Move Reimbursement

Manmumar

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi PEB'ers,
Hoping I could get some assistance on this. I think I saw something similar but can't locate it at the moment. I'm a Marine Veteran with a complicated situation that is getting easier as I work through issues.

I did a PCS DITY move in 2004 (on my own dime) and now that my case has been overturned, I'm looking for reimbursement of my expenses. I instinctually kept electronic copies of all of my receipts for the move, but at the time I didn't think I could have the government pay for my expenses back to my Home of Record...but that's water under the bridge.

I reached out to HQMC and they responded that after 16 years, it would require an exception to policy. DFAS asked me to cite the regulations that requires the government to pay for the move of my HHG (household goods). I found it here:

Refs:
051002 of the JTR- Joint Travel Regulations (attached)
E. Service Member Receives a Discharge or Separation Order While on Leave. A Service member who travels on leave at personal expense and receives a DD214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,” or a separation order during his or her leave is authorized PCS travel and transportation allowances. These allowances are paid from the Service member’s last PDS and not the leave location.

0513 is the HHG (Household Goods) section and it covers STANDARD ALLOWANCES

A couple questions:
Has anyone had experience with this?
Who did you submit the request to? (DFAS, HQMC, other...)
Did they reimburse you for the value of actual receipts held?
Or were you given a flat amount based on weight moved (up to the limits given for your rank)?
Did you file a PPM checklist?

Thank you
Semper Fi

Reference website linked above:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service > CivilianEmployees > Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) > Civilian PCS Entitlement Guide > Movement and Storage of Household Goods (HHG)

Attachments

• JTR - Travel Regulations Manual.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 0

Manmumar

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I can see that it might be unclear that the move in 2004 was from my PDS (Permanent Duty Station) to HOR (Home of Record) while I was placed on appellate leave.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @Manmumar ,

I believe the six-year barring law will impact your claim.
The Barring Act, at 31 U.S.C. 3702(b), specifies claims against the United States must be presented to the appropriate official or agency within six years after the claim accrues. Unless an individual submits a claim to the appropriate agency before the 6-year period elapses, the claim on the obligation is barred.

An exception: "When the claim of a member of the armed forces accrues during war or within 5 years before war begins, the claim must be received within 5 years after peace is established or within the period provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection, whichever is later."
The law <---LINK

Here is a checklist for a Personal Procured Move (aka DITY):
LINK <----

====

If you've been out of the military MORE than a year LINK <----

How to file a claim
If you served in the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps more than a year ago and believe they owe you money, use DD Form 827 to submit your claim. The burden is on you to establish the liability of the United States. Make sure that your claim is legible and includes:

• Submit DD Form 827 Online What is being claimed
  • Reasons why you feel the government owes you
  • All documentation of evidence to prove your claim
  • Amount you believe you are owed
  • Your full social security number
  • Branch of service
  • Date of separation
  • Current address
  • Current phone number
  • Handwritten signature
If your claim is missing information, your payment will be delayed.

Claims must be received within 6 years of the date the claim accrued. Normal processing time for claims is 60 days from the date we receive it.

If you've already submitted a claim and want to check the status, please call our inquiry line at 317-212-6167 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. eastern standard time.

-----

Ron

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
A victim of incompetent transition services this has came a LONG way since 2004 I think a major study around 2008 exposed how bad it really was and thats why the DoD implemented mandatory transition services 12, 6 and 3 months before your final out date. Nonetheless I still got screwed I paid for the airline tickets home before filling out the finance voucher when I tried to claim my expenses they said my family was already home and I was attempting to commit "fraud" lmao.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
A victim of incompetent transition services this has came a LONG way since 2004 I think a major study around 2008 exposed how bad it really was and thats why the DoD implemented mandatory transition services 12, 6 and 3 months before your final out date. Nonetheless I still got screwed I paid for the airline tickets home before filling out the finance voucher when I tried to claim my expenses they said my family was already home and I was attempting to commit "fraud" lmao.
Unfortunately, I also saw that back in "my day" when the presidents included LBJ; Nixon; Ford; Carter; etc.

Travel before receipt of orders was the problem and many did not know of the rule/regulation.

'There is nothing more constant than change within the military. While you can certainly start some prep work, you will need orders to schedule a move in the system. Your only other option is a Letter-In-Lieu of Orders, which basically states that you are taking responsibility for the costs of your move if your PCS is cancelled or your destination changes before you receive your official orders." LINK <---- SOURCE

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">