PCS to WTU

jamesrider22

Registered Member
I have somewhat of a unique situation. I am out here on recruiting and my command will be putting in a packet for me to head to a WTU, is my family able to go with me in terms of PCS? How does all of that stuff work.

elsereno19

Registered Member
Currently I am active duty in a WTU. When you fill out the packet you can request which WTU you would like to go to. It is not guaranteed that you will get that WTU, but you can request it based on the medical treatment, or if you have family support in the area. If you get approved for the WTU you will PCS and your family can come with you. Me and my family reside off post and my wife attends my appointments with me for help and support. The WTU process can be quick, a lot of it depends on your command and med team doing the paperwork correctly and it getting approved. Best of luck let me know if you have any other questions.

jamesrider22

Registered Member
Currently I am active duty in a WTU. When you fill out the packet you can request which WTU you would like to go to. It is not guaranteed that you will get that WTU, but you can request it based on the medical treatment, or if you have family support in the area. If you get approved for the WTU you will PCS and your family can come with you. Me and my family reside off post and my wife attends my appointments with me for help and support. The WTU process can be quick, a lot of it depends on your command and med team doing the paperwork correctly and it getting approved. Best of luck let me know if you have any other questions.
I was just wondering becuase I have heard from a lot of people that they only attach you to the unit and not PCS your family.

jamesrider22

Registered Member
Was it becuase of your injury and length of time that it would take you to heal that they considered it a PCS move? I was reading that sometimes they just attach soldiers for a certain period of time and do not allow them to take their families becuase it’s not considered a PCS.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When I was a SGT (and lower ranks) in the Army, I used to compute travel pay (among other duties) and I also had six overseas PCSs and another six coming back to CONUS. I also had some within CONUS. This was almost 30 years ago.

If I remember correctly, six months was the minimum amount of time expected at the new duty station in order for dependents to be authorized travel to that station. Example: In 1987 I reported for a six-month course (USASMA) at Ft. Bliss. My family was authorized travel from Ft Stewart, Ga to Ft Bliss, Tx and we had government family housing assigned.

I also remember TDY orders that had a restriction of “not to exceed 179 days” .

Your command should be able to answer your questions; they are going to issue your orders.

Sorry for this ancient info...I kept watching your thread to determine if someone would provide the info you need.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">