PCS'ing while recommended for MEB/PEB

balconomega

Registered Member
Question - What is the process that stops you from PCS'ing while under going a MEB/PEB?

I received orders prior to receiving my P3 (which recommended MEB/PEB); after getting the P3 my unit told me that I would not be PCS'ing. I am now a month out from my PCS and they are telling me that the deletion of orders packet that they had me submit is going to be denied. They tell me that I will begin clearing later this month on or around 27Jul with a report date of 10Aug. I have not been assigned a PEBLO yet and my P3 is pending the second signature in eprofile. I have looked though AR 40-400 and AR 600-60. I see that I must under go a MMRB/MAR2 according to AR 600-60. I also know that they will find that I cannot continue service. I have had 2 surgeries on my left knee that has left me with limited range of motion, pain, and instability which prevents me from carrying more than 15 pounds, wearing any sort of LBE, body armor, or the ability to carry a combat load. My company has been supportive to a point, meaning they feel that I should not PCS, but do not seem to have the knowledge base to figure out why I should not move. I figured I would do the leg work and get them to press the issue higher. So, back to my question following the result of the MMRB/MAR2, what is the process of getting that code that will prevent the PCS? Thank you for any help in the matter.

hawkdrivermtp

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you are on a P3 and requiring a MAR2, then that should immediately put a halt on any PCS. You current unit needs to work the MAR2. I would contact your branch manager and let him or her know what is happening. I believe they can delete your orders or put a hold on them. A friend of mine just had this happen to him a few months back. Once your MAR2 is complete, and pending their recommendation, you could either get new orders to PCS, change your MOS or be referred to the MEB. You really should try to contact branch. My buddy did that and his branch manager immediately deleted his orders and told him to give him an update once all as said d done. If you are going through a MAR2, your branch will be informed anyways. Also, since the MAR2 is fairly new, if you unit has not conducted many of these, especially if you are in the process of about to clear, they may be misinformed. Some units would prefer to get a broke soldier off their books and let the new unit deal with them, but that is just wrong. Perhaps your Ombudsman can assist or give you and your unit information on what needs to be done, but PCSing with this going on should not be occurring. Talk with your PCM and find out why your P3 is still pending a signature an let your PCM know what is going on with your PCS orders in the midst of all this. He/She might be able to speak with you command and educate them as well. Stories like this really get to me, because it shows the lack of common sense and we are supposed to be the worlds smartest and mightiest fighting force....

balconomega

Registered Member
Thank you for the response. I'll talk with some people today and see what I can come up with.

Can you point me at a regulation or MILPER message that says that the orders should get deleted?

firedawg225

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm air force and stuck overseas. and it's causing alot of problems. Storage company for my mil storage threatening to sell my items. Have no orders and don't know how to contact them. the email they use doesn't work. TMO office suck they tell you to call them.... then the same problem with my car!!! Congressmen might be getting a call or email!!

balconomega

Registered Member
I made a bunch of calls on Friday, got a whole lot of we'll get back to you. Going to make all the same calls today to see if I can get movement. Is there a specific place in the AR or MILPER messages that I can point at?

jp_over

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Old thread but still good info - here's what I found in AR 635-40:

4–8. Status of Soldiers undergoing disability evaluation From the time a Soldier receives a P3/P4 profile referring them to a MEB until the time the DES process is completed (including a decision on any appeal) or the Soldier is returned to duty, the Soldier—
a. Will remain available for the DES process to complete any required actions. Leave, while permissible, is generally discouraged in the MEB phase with the exception of emergency situations. Commanders may grant leave as long as the leave or other required absence is communicated immediately to the assigned PEBLO and does not prevent timely completion of DES appointments. Commanders should encourage Soldiers to use accrued leave after the IPEB adjudication when the Soldier is not requesting a FPEB.
b. Is ineligible for assignment instructions or orders with the exception of orders for assignment to the Warrior Transition Unit or Community Care Unit. If the Soldier has already received assignment orders prior to initiation of the DES process, the process must be completed and a final decision rendered before the Soldier proceeds on assignment.
c. In accordance with AR 614–100 and AR 614–200, is ineligible for permanent change of station other than:
(1) Home on permanent change of station leave under the provisions of AR 600–8–10; or
(2) When required for a Soldier stationed outside the continental United States to complete the DES. (Also see DA Pam 635–40.)

Last edited: