PDBR Assistance

straub27

Registered Member
I was separated in August 2009 for "Service connection for dextroscoliosis T2-T6, levoscoliosis T12-L4, and degenerative changes, upper thoracic spine (claimed as scoliosis with back pain, kyphosis and nerve impingement)" at a rating of 10% from both the Army and the VA. I received the PDBR letter and have decided to fill out DD form 294 and VA form 3288, but am I correct to believe my chances are slim since the VA rating is also 10%? Do I need to appeal the VA rating first? I am not familiar with which medical disorders receive which ratings, but I recently met another soldier at a local VA office who said he received 40% just for lumbar scoliosis at a lower curvature, so I was quite confused. I have scanned my MEB documents, so if you need these I can PM them to you. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

franky

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was separated in August 2009 for "Service connection for dextroscoliosis T2-T6, levoscoliosis T12-L4, and degenerative changes, upper thoracic spine (claimed as scoliosis with back pain, kyphosis and nerve impingement)" at a rating of 10% from both the Army and the VA. I received the PDBR letter and have decided to fill out DD form 294 and VA form 3288, but am I correct to believe my chances are slim since the VA rating is also 10%? Do I need to appeal the VA rating first? I am not familiar with which medical disorders receive which ratings, but I recently met another soldier at a local VA office who said he received 40% just for lumbar scoliosis at a lower curvature, so I was quite confused. I have scanned my MEB documents, so if you need these I can PM them to you. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
Hello Straub27,

I was in a similar situation to yours. What I did was appeal the VA decision which increased my % to 40% and then submitted a claim to the BCMR. I know that the PDBR is different, however, I believe that you would have a better chance if your VA rating was increased. I am surprised that you have not had an increase from 2009 until now. Good luck and please keep us posted.

VR,
Frank

straub27

Registered Member
I thought I only had one year to appeal the VA decision, and can the VA adjust the ratings if the condition has gotten worst?

Alligator07

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You can always ask for an increase based on your current ratings. I am in the middle of doing that now. It's supposed to be an "easier and faster process." The senate ruled max 120 days for increase on percentages of SC you've already been granted for. (I'm waiting longer though, 140 days right now). I received a total of 30% almost 6 years ago. My conditions are worse so I applied for a higher rating. I highly recommend having a VA rep. The initial paperwork is a bit confusing. Hope this is helpful? Good luck! :)

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">