PDBR Processed, Retirement Received.

VetRelief

Registered Member
Hello,

Hope everyone is well. I have been perusing this site for almost two years gaining valuable information, and it helped pass the time. I wanted to share my experience as it may be helpful.

I was medically separated from the Army 11/2004 due to an injury to my left hand incurred during combat. I received a Purple Heart for my wounds, which were amputation of fifth finger and metacarpal, and PIP fusion of the ring finger. When I was medically boarded out, I received 20% for the amputation and 0% for the fusion, which qualified me for severance pay of around 7k. ( I only had 2yrs. 10 mos. in). When I filed for VA benefits, I was awarded 70% total for a myriad of conditions, at least for my age. Approximately 3 years later, I was awarded 100% as they worked their VA magic and found they need to change something, and about 6 years later I was awarded P&T. I was told about the PDBR in Nov. 2014 by one of my Battle Buddies, who had went through, and was increased from 10%-20%. I gathered the information I had, which was pretty much everything as I do not throw anything away, and sent my packet off. In hindsight, I would have done more research into the process to better equip my file, but it worked out in the end. Here is my timeline:

Packet Sent: Jan. 09 2016
Email Received Acknowledging Packet: Jan. 21. 2016
Email Received Stating Records Collection Complete and Sent to Adjudication: Sept. 29, 2016
Email received Saying My Case is Still in Records Collection: Mar. 25, 2017
Email Received Stating that Case is in Final PDBR Processing and Signature: Jul. 26 2017
Letter Received From the Department of The Army Stating that I My Case Has Been Decided: Oct. 30 2017

When I filed for the PDBR, I did not understand the scope & sequence all that well, but now that I have a more clear understanding, mostly thanks to this website, I understand their decision, which was to change the 0% for PIP fusion of ring finger to 10%, which put me at the 30% mark. I admit that I was completely focused on having them review the other issues that I have, which also made me unfit for duty, but they can only consider the conditions for what you were separated for, and due to their thoroughness, at least with my case, they were able to justify the 10% based upon the two conditions I was originally considered for. After receiving the letter I made my way to the nearest ID station, only to be told that I have to wait until I receive orders due to the severance pay that I received, paid taxes on, and paid back. So I will keep y'all posted on the next steps when they happen. Thanks again for everything and I hope everyone the best.

So it took about 60 days between getting the decision letter and your orders?

How did it go with the severance? I too was separated with a severance and have since paid it back to the VA. Just wondering how all that’s going to get resolved. My AF retirement will be less than my VA disability compensation and i don’t have a combat disability, so I won’t receive a check from the AF.

How did it go with the severance? I too was separated with a severance and have since paid it back to the VA. Just wondering how all that’s going to get resolved. My AF retirement will be less than my VA disability compensation and i don’t have a combat disability, so I won’t receive a check from the AF.

According to the dates on the letter, yes, but from the time I was notified, about 45 days. I completed the required forms for DFAS back in the last week of Dec., and am still waiting on that process. I do not expect to receive any back pay, because I only have 2 years an 9 months in service before my medical board. I will apply for CRSC when DFAS completes the enrollment process, as all my injuries were sustained from combat.

Congratulations on your retirement!
Thank you.

Happy retirement! Thank you for checking back because others going through the process can learn from your experience.

Congratulations on your retirement. You deserve everything you get. Thank you for your service.

You were approved for retirement and were AF? I am also, still awaiting orders. Have you received yours yet??

I received my updated DD 214 a few days ago. Approx 5 months after I received my letter stating the board recharacterized my separation to a retirement.

I received my updated DD 214 a few days ago. Approx 5 months after I received my letter stating the board recharacterized my separation to a retirement.

Okay thank you for the info! You aren’t getting any retro pay? They owe me almost $300k at this point as I’ve not taken any VA comp. I’m hoping this moves along. I got my decision in feb but Mrs Adams held me up a month with her slow butt getting my SBP paperwork emailed to me.

Okay thank you for the info! You aren’t getting any retro pay? They owe me almost $300k at this point as I’ve not taken any VA comp. I’m hoping this moves along. I got my decision in feb but Mrs Adams held me up a month with her slow butt getting my SBP paperwork emailed to me.

No, I don’t qualify for both a disability check from the AF and a VA disability comp check. So I don’t have any advice for ya there. Hope your paperwork is finishing up quick... maybe quick is the wrong words cause none of this is quick... hopefully they finish soon. :)