PDBR Retirement Decision

ka7811b

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and want to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences. The sharing of this knowledge has greatly helped with my understanding of this process.

On June 25th, I received a packet from the Army Review Boards Agency stating that they have made the decision to change my medical separation to a medical retirement at 30%. I was initially rated by the PEB at 20%.

This has been my timeline so far:
August 2007 - Medically separated from the Army at 20% with severance pay
April 2009 - VA rating decision of 10%
January 2017 - Submitted PDBR form
April 2018 - PDBR decision sent to the Army
June 4th 2018 - ARBA decision written
June 25th 2018 - Decision received by mail

The packet I recently received states that I should now be anticipating orders and a packet from DFAS. I called to make sure my address was correct with ARBA on the 26th and was informed that my packet was being sent to my last duty station that day.

I started receiving VA payments after the severance pay was recouped in 2011. It is my understanding that I can expect to receive back pay for the difference in the retirement pay and the VA disability payments that I have been receiving for the last 11 years. Does anyone have any information at what rate the back pay is taxed? From what I have been able to gather, it will be based off of the year in question's tax rate, and my tax bracket for that year. Do I submit prior years tax returns to DFAS? Am I completely wrong? The DFAS site is pretty quiet on what to expect for PDBR back pay.

What kind of timeline should I expect going forward as far as receiving orders and getting everything squared away with DFAS?

Any additional information regarding any part of this process would also be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and want to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences. The sharing of this knowledge has greatly helped with my understanding of this process.

On June 25th, I received a packet from the Army Review Boards Agency stating that they have made the decision to change my medical separation to a medical retirement at 30%. I was initially rated by the PEB at 20%.

This has been my timeline so far:
August 2007 - Medically separated from the Army at 20% with severance pay
April 2009 - VA rating decision of 10%
January 2017 - Submitted PDBR form
April 2018 - PDBR decision sent to the Army
June 4th 2018 - ARBA decision written
June 25th 2018 - Decision received by mail

The packet I recently received states that I should now be anticipating orders and a packet from DFAS. I called to make sure my address was correct with ARBA on the 26th and was informed that my packet was being sent to my last duty station that day.

I started receiving VA payments after the severance pay was recouped in 2011. It is my understanding that I can expect to receive back pay for the difference in the retirement pay and the VA disability payments that I have been receiving for the last 11 years. Does anyone have any information at what rate the back pay is taxed? From what I have been able to gather, it will be based off of the year in question's tax rate, and my tax bracket for that year. Do I submit prior years tax returns to DFAS? Am I completely wrong? The DFAS site is pretty quiet on what to expect for PDBR back pay.

What kind of timeline should I expect going forward as far as receiving orders and getting everything squared away with DFAS?

Any additional information regarding any part of this process would also be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed from a congratulatory point of view, it's extremely pleasing to read that the ARBA recharacterized your previous medical disability separation to a medical disability retirement at a DoD (Army) 30% rating! As such, enjoy, take care and have a happy 4th of July celebration!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Quick update.

Yesterday my HRC Portal had my "Current Org" field as Archived. Today it states Permanent Disability Retirement List.

There are no new documents (DD-215 or new orders) yet.

I’m in the same boat. Changed a week ago from cold storage (archived) to PDRL. Figure should see
Something in the next week or so hopefully

I have the same thing going on with me. I was medically discharged in 2007, and applied for review with PDBR in June 2015. My decision was received in February 2018. I have been recharacterized to 80% and retired.

Yes your retro pay will be taxed and it is at a supplemental income rate of 25%. Ten your severance pay comes out and your VA offset. Whatever is left over is your lump sum retro pay.

You will have to attend a SBP briefing before you get orders. The current average timeline from decision to orders is about 3-4 months depending on service. Army is the fastest. So figure 2 months. Then 2-3 months after that you will get DFAS audit and payment. It’s still a little wait but the speculation is over for us and we can breathe easy sir. Congrats!!

Oh I did see my DD215 post to HRC records so that’s a good thing.

That is great news!

My HRC Documents section doesn't have the DD215 posted yet, so I am hoping I will see it there soon.

Sounds like progress in a long process. Congratulations.

My DD215 is up on HRC and DPRIS, but I still have not received any additional information via mail. I was hoping that I would have my orders by now.

Also, yesterday I received a letter from DFAS and the IRS regarding a tax refund for having paid taxes on my disability severance from when I was separated. Is this triggered by movement on my post-PDBR or is this just a coincidence?

I was wondering if anyone knows how long its taking for the Navy to approve/disapprove the decision and to receive receive word? I see the Army has been taking 2-3 months. The DON received the recommendation May 18. Should I expect a few more months?

Last edited:
My DD215 is up on HRC and DPRIS, but I still have not received any additional information via mail. I was hoping that I would have my orders by now.

Also, yesterday I received a letter from DFAS and the IRS regarding a tax refund for having paid taxes on my disability severance from when I was separated. Is this triggered by movement on my post-PDBR or is this just a coincidence?
ha ha ha nope!!! The letter from the IRS and DFAS is a totally different F-UP the Military did to just about everyone on this forum! They just discovered they charged over 133,000 veterans too much in taxes so if you get that letter you are owed anywhere from 1,700.00 in upwards to over 10 grand!!! Get it filled out ASAP! Return it and get what is due to you!

Thank you for the information!

Should I be expecting my next packet soon since I received the decision packet on 25 June?

Thank you for the information!

Should I be expecting my next packet soon since I received the decision packet on 25 June?
Are you army? Doug received his letter on the 8th of June. White packet came a month later.

ha ha ha nope!!! The letter from the IRS and DFAS is a totally different F-UP the Military did to just about everyone on this forum! They just discovered they charged over 133,000 veterans too much in taxes so if you get that letter you are owed anywhere from 1,700.00 in upwards to over 10 grand!!! Get it filled out ASAP! Return it and get what is due to you!
I filed some sort of amendment to my taxes the year I got my severance pay. I have to wonder if I already received my money.

Are you army? Doug received his letter on the 8th of June. White packet came a month later.

Yes, Army. One month would be right around now. So with the holiday in between, I should be getting mine soon. Thanks for the heads up!

DFAS has his paperwork now for one week. We were told 1 to 3 months
Did they tell you how to sign up for the tricare. After I got our is cards they said we have tricare coverage till December but we have to do our elections or something about signing up. Still not clear if we have to pay back the premiums to the retirement date or not. Hoping if we do they can take it out of backpay because there is no way I can drop 10k plus just to get tricare started.

By my retirement date is 1 June 2007. Still can’t stop checking my ID card. It’s so unreal.

I am going to start another TRICARE thread....There is so much info everyone needs to know. I don't want it to get lost.