PDRL - 40% DOD and 100% VA

IRBOSNM8

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Received my ratings. 40% DOD and 100% VA. Should I be satisfied, even though there are a few things that were not documented well enough or ratings were low, In my opinion.
Thoughts?

Sounds good to me PDRL? Is the 100% P&T? I would concur.

Agree.

Opinion, assuming the 100% is permanent and using an example 3000 for VA compensation :

Unless you would have an average high three base pay where: average high three base pay x DoD disability percentage = more than 3000, there is little to be gained thru a higher DoD rating.

Example: high three of 3000 and DoD @ 40% = 1200 retired pay (all waived due to 3000 VA comp)
Another : high three of 3000 and DoD @ 70% = 2100 retired pay (also fully waived)
Final: high three of 5000 and DoD @ 70% = 3500 reduced by 3000 VA amount results in 500 residual retired pay retained by retiree.

Reason: Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation (at least 3000 @ 100%).

Your “high-3average pay is the highest average basic pay you earned during any 3 consecutive years of service. These three years are usually your final three years of service, but can be an earlier period, if your basic pay was higher during that period.

Ron

Agree.

Opinion, assuming the 100% is permanent and using an example 3000 for VA compensation :

Unless you would have an average high three base pay where: average high three base pay x DoD disability percentage = more than 3000, there is little to be gained thru a higher DoD rating.

Example: high three of 3000 and DoD @ 40% = 1200 retired pay (all waived due to 3000 VA comp)
Another : high three of 3000 and DoD @ 70% = 2100 retired pay (also fully waived)
Final: high three of 5000 and DoD @ 70% = 3500 reduced by 3000 VA amount results in 500 residual retired pay retained by retiree.

Reason: Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation (at least 3000 @ 100%).

Your “high-3average pay is the highest average basic pay you earned during any 3 consecutive years of service. These three years are usually your final three years of service, but can be an earlier period, if your basic pay was higher during that period.

Ron
Thank you for this response. Why is it that it benefits the Veteran more with a lower DoD rating(>30%) ?

Thank you for this response. Why is it that it benefits the Veteran more with a lower DoD rating(>30%) ?
I am not sure I understand your question.

You mentioned that the veteran benefits more with a lower DoD rating, but showed the symbol for "greater than 30%".

This explains the basis for the reduction/waiver/offset in the amount of VA compensation: ---->LINK to DFAS info on waiver/offset

A higher DoD disability rating/percentage results in more gross retired pay. If the gross retired pay is more than the amount of the reduction/waiver, then the retiree gets to keep it.

Many Chapter 61 retirees end up with zero retired pay since their gross retired pay is less than the VA amount.

My earlier remarks were simply to show that a higher DoD disability rating does not always result in more net pay for the retiree. My three examples clearly show how that occurs.

Good luck,
Ron

Agree.

Ron

Ron,

thanks for the info. I am at 23 years and will be placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List... is that correct?
Trying to navigate all of these acronyms are tough. Needless to say I am throughly confused... This forum has been very helpful for me through this process.

Ron,

thanks for the info. I am at 23 years and will be placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List... is that correct?
Trying to navigate all of these acronyms are tough. Needless to say I am throughly confused... This forum has been very helpful for me through this process.
Do you have 23 years active duty or are you speaking of 23 good years as a reservist? If you have 20 AD years or more, that changes what I reported above.

23 AD years x 2.5% = 57.5 % instead of 40% for example. Also, with 20 active duty years or more you are eligible for CRDP.

Your full retirement scenario would be needed for an analysis. The info at my signature block for CRSC could be used as a guide for necessary info.

Ron

Do you have 23 years active duty or are you speaking of 23 good years as a reservist? If you have 20 AD years or more, that changes what I reported above.

23 AD years x 2.5% = 57.5 % instead of 40% for example. Also, with 20 active duty years or more you are eligible for CRDP.

Your full retirement scenario would be needed for an analysis. The info at my signature block for CRSC could be used as a guide for necessary info.

Ron

I have 23 yrs total. ADSD 02JUL96 PEBD 02JUL96.

My finding is UNFIT. Disability Rating is 40% and Disposition is PDRL.

LOS is incorrect on the personal data block. It says 19 yrs 1 month. This has been corrected through PERS I believe.

Does that make sense?

I have 23 yrs total. ADSD 02JUL96 PEBD 02JUL96.

My finding is UNFIT. Disability Rating is 40% and Disposition is PDRL.

LOS is incorrect on the personal data block. It says 19 yrs 1 month. This has been corrected through PERS I believe.

Does that make sense?
1. Your retired pay will be computed using the higher of:
a. DoD disability percentage = 40% per your post
b. Your longevity multiplier,
23 AD years x 2.5% = 57.5 %

2. Average high three base pay x multiplier (see item one) = retired pay

3. Retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation; however since you appear to qualify for CRDP, the longevity portion of retired pay will be restored.
If I have interpreted your situation correctly, all your retired pay should be restored since your pay will be based on the longevity multiplier (based on the info you provided).

The above was the result of the data available and the understanding that you have more than 20 years active duty. Note: This is more than 23 years:
"23 yrs total. ADSD 02JUL96 PEBD 02JUL96." The extra months increase the 57.5%

Ron

I am not sure I understand your question.

You mentioned that the veteran benefits more with a lower DoD rating, but showed the symbol for "greater than 30%".

This explains the basis for the reduction/waiver/offset in the amount of VA compensation: ---->LINK to DFAS info on waiver/offset

A higher DoD disability rating/percentage results in more gross retired pay. If the gross retired pay is more than the amount of the reduction/waiver, then the retiree gets to keep it.

Many Chapter 61 retirees end up with zero retired pay since their gross retired pay is less than the VA amount.

My earlier remarks were simply to show that a higher DoD disability rating does not always result in more net pay for the retiree. My three examples clearly show how that occurs.

Good luck,
Ron
Hey Ron,
I’m back. I have 6 years of service. How would the pay work for someone in my situation who is not authorized to receive both DoD and VA pay?

I have a question I just submitted my CRSC through a lawyer on 04 Dec 2019. After 5 almost 6 years of service I was med boarded TDRL out of the Army in 2012 at 70% DOD, and rated VA at 90% p&t disabled and receive IU a 100%, then Retired Permanently in 2015.
When we filled she added a couple other things that I am rated for and as she put it incurred as a direct result of combat in service of OIF. I just seen where someone said that "many Chapter 61 retirees end up with zero retired pay since their gross retired pay is less than the VA amount".
So my question is would should I be expecting next timeline wise, and should I be expecting anything
beneficial pay wise?
The only reason I filed is because a few of my buddy's kept telling too because my wife and I have 6 childrens and my wife has kidney disease and is on nightly dialysis, so my VA compensation is the only income we have so our funds are stretched pretty thin.
Thanks for your time.

burdman0203,

"Someone said..."

1. Your Chapter 61 DoD disability retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

2. Approved CRSC can replace some of the lost/waived/reduced retired pay.

3. See ----> Collection of CRSC Info LINK

Ron

Hey Ron,
I’m back. I have 6 years of service. How would the pay work for someone in my situation who is not authorized to receive both DoD and VA pay?

Not enough info.

Please provide clarification.

1. Are you rated at 30% or more by the DoD? If so, what is your DoD rating?

2. Or...is your DoD disability rating 20% or less?

3. Have you received disability severance pay?

4. Do you expect to receive CRSC?

Information necessary for CRSC estimate:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years or active duty equivalent years
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage
—Other type military retirement eligibility info

Ron

burdman0203,

"Someone said..."

1. Your Chapter 61 DoD disability retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

2. Approved CRSC can replace some of the lost/waived/reduced retired pay.

3. See ----> Collection of CRSC Info LINK

Ron
Excuse me Mr. Ron you seem very well versed in this and I'm not the brightest apple in the bunch. Based on the info I gave above, I'll give any info I can that you may need, would you be willing to give me a heads up on what to maybe expect?
I guess what I'm asking is what do think the timeline may be, your opinion on if I may be approved, and an idea of what our pay may look like. Any extra info you may need I'll give and even the brief and paperwork if need be.
If you can't no worries at all, I understand.
Either way Thank You for your time, I appreciate you and your time.

Hello burdman0203,

Earlier you said:

"I have a question I just submitted my CRSC through a lawyer on 04 Dec 2019. After 5 almost 6 years of service I was med boarded TDRL out of the Army in 2012 at 70% DOD, and rated VA at 90% p&t disabled and receive IU a 100%, then Retired Permanently in 2015.
When we filled she added a couple other things that I am rated for and as she put it incurred as a direct result of combat in service of OIF. I just seen where someone said that "many Chapter 61 retirees end up with zero retired pay since their gross retired pay is less than the VA amount".
So my question is would should I be expecting next timeline wise, and should I be expecting anything
beneficial pay wise?"

1. What is the gross amount of your retired pay on your DFAS RAS? At least one RAS is produced each year even if all retired pay is waived/reduced. See MyPay.
Also provide your average high three base pay for retirement.
2. What was your PDRL final DoD disability percentage?
3. What was your active duty time or active duty equivalent? AD equivalent is total points/360.
4. What is the amount of VA compensation you receive? Also cite number of dependents by category and ages of children.
5. What is the approved CRSC percentage you are expecting?

Ron

Hello burdman0203,

Earlier you said:

"I have a question I just submitted my CRSC through a lawyer on 04 Dec 2019. After 5 almost 6 years of service I was med boarded TDRL out of the Army in 2012 at 70% DOD, and rated VA at 90% p&t disabled and receive IU a 100%, then Retired Permanently in 2015.
beneficial pay wise?"

1. What is the gross amount of your retired pay on your DFAS RAS? At least one RAS is produced each year even if all retired pay is waived/reduced. See MyPay.
3. What was your active duty time or active duty equivalent? AD equivalent is total points/360.
4. What is the amount of VA compensation you receive? Also cite number of dependents by category and ages of children.

Ron
1. 1678, 1573 I believe.
2. 70%
3. 5yrs 11month I believe
4. Rated 90% p&t but receive 100% IU, wife 6 children ages 17,16,13, 9, 5, 3
5. I'm guessing 70% because that's what the medboard paperwork and it says because of Combat but she also added my tinnitus and sleep apnea, so I don't know. I can message the brief.
Thank You

1. 1678, 1573 I believe.
2. 70%
3. 5yrs 11month I believe
4. Rated 90% p&t but receive 100% IU, wife 6 children ages 17,16,13, 9, 5, 3
5. I'm guessing 70% because that's what the medboard paperwork and it says because of Combat but she also added my tinnitus and sleep apnea, so I don't know. I can message the brief.
Thank You
Hello,

The questions
:
You said: 1678, 1573 I believe.
You said: 70%
You said: 5yrs 11month I believe
You said: Rated 90% p&t but receive 100% IU, wife 6 children ages 17,16,13, 9, 5, 3
You said: I'm guessing 70% because that's what the medboard paperwork and it says because of Combat but she also added my tinnitus and sleep apnea, so I don't know. I can message the brief.

My Response:
Item one: At least one of those numbers is incorrect. If the gross is 1678 then 1678 divided by 0.70 = 2397.14 current high three after COLA increases. Your retired pay is reduced to zero due to amount of VA compensation.

Item three: 5 years 11 months is 5.916 AD years, 5.916 x 0.025 = 14.79% longevity multiplier. 2397.14 high three x 0.1479 = 354.54 longevity portion of retired pay and potential CRSC

Based on the info you provided, your CRSC would be: 354.54

Ron