PDRL Calculation

Rival23

PEB Forum Regular Member
Finally made it through the long MEB/PEB process and got my retirement orders today. Rated at 30% so I will be PDRL, but I noticed on the orders there are two different lengths of time listed, which I was not expecting.

Disibility Retirement: 01 Years, 09 Months, 23 Days
Basic Pay: 07 Years, 04 Months, 17 Days

Can someone please explain to me how the actual PDRL calculation will work, specificially which one of these lengths will be used?

Are you in the reserve/guard?

30% does not mean PDRL. It could be TDRL or PDRL. Check the decision to be sure.

Mike

Are you in the reserve/guard?

30% does not mean PDRL. It could be TDRL or PDRL. Check the decision to be sure.

Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am National Guard

I guess I should have been more specific with my post. I am sure I am PDRL. My confusion is really about the two different service lengths listed on the retirement orders and which one will be used by DFAS for their calculations.

I have searched around the board but have not been able to find a difinitive answer on exactly how disbility retirement pay is calculated for reserve/guard members with under 20 years.

New to this TDRL Msgt. Just got paperwork from an 12 month re-evaluation putting me in PDRL. My question is, will I have to go thru anymore random military medical exams down the road?

Disabilty retirememt is your active length of service. Which will be used to calculate your cRSC if your VA disability conditions are approved as combat related by your branch.

The Basic Pay is your years of service for Base Pay which includes Reserve / Guard time. Your Retirement will be calculated using High-3 base on basic pay.

But once you receive a VA rating and your retirememt is offset dollar for dollar; then the max amount that can be restored is the Disability Retirememt amount.

Hope that makes sense.

Jason,

I was placed on TDRL on 30JUN2008 at 30% (50% for pay purposes). I just received a letter from the formal PEB stating that I've been placed on the PDRL at an increase of 70%. Since there is an increase of a large chunk of money(my high 36 is $3197 at 70%) over the $2673 (at 100%) I've received from the VA since 2008. Will I receive back pay for the difference ($3197-$2673) retroactive to 2008?

-Recee

They'll figure out the difference; or they should.