PDRL or TDRL

Oxalate

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all,

I have questions about whether I will be placed on PDRL or TDRL. My primary referred conditions are MDD, PTSD, and OCD. I understand that typically SMs with mental health conditions are usually placed on the TDRL. However, the prognosis in my comp narsum reads as follows: His prognosis is guarded. It is unlikely that MAJ ***** will improve sufficiently with further treatment to meet retention standards in the next 12 months. This condition is deemed stable, for ratings purposes, over the next 36 months.

My questions are: 1. How much weight does the comp narsum prognosis have with the PEB? 2. Given the prognosis language, am I likely to be placed on the PDRL?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I have questions about whether I will be placed on PDRL or TDRL. My primary referred conditions are MDD, PTSD, and OCD. I understand that typically SMs with mental health conditions are usually placed on the TDRL. However, the prognosis in my comp narsum reads as follows: His prognosis is guarded. It is unlikely that MAJ ***** will improve sufficiently with further treatment to meet retention standards in the next 12 months. This condition is deemed stable, for ratings purposes, over the next 36 months.

My questions are: 1. How much weight does the comp narsum prognosis have with the PEB? 2. Given the prognosis language, am I likely to be placed on the PDRL?

Thanks.
You are right that most of the time its TDRL but that language supports PDRL. Some have been able to get PDRL for MDD, PTSD etc. Also, you can request a FPEB to change it if they do come back from the informal PEB with TDRL. If you have Doctors that are willing to state that is not going to change then you have a good chance of having a TDRL decision overturned by the FPEB.

I got PDRL for MDD and anxiety. I had been in treatment for over 5 years and had been really bad the last 2 years. That was in 2016. Still in treatment (I think I probably will be the rest of my life) and while I'm currently in a good place, I went through a really bad time from about April 2020 to Dec 2020. I've been going through these ups and downs for over 10 years now. I'm glad that at least who decided my board could understand that MDD doesn't "get better". It goes through cycles. Good luck

The NARSUM is written ISO PDRL. I suspect the PEB will follow the doctor's recommendation.

The Veterans Benefits Administration Schedule for Rating Disabilities applies an automatic rating of not less than 50 percent for mental disorders due to traumatic stress, but requires that a follow-up examination be scheduled within the six-month period following the veteran's discharge or placement on the TDRL to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. Somehow this rule isnt followed correctly with both the timeline and rating but I believe the above rule only applies to traumatic stress MH disorders (Combat PTSD and MST PTSD) and not any other MH disorder like OCD, anxiety, depression etc. I guess you have to dig deep in each service components manual to see if this is just a guideline or requirement.

Hi all,

Thanks.

You are right that most of the time its TDRL but that language supports PDRL. Some have been able to get PDRL for MDD, PTSD etc. Also, you can request a FPEB to change it if they do come back from the informal PEB with TDRL. If you have Doctors that are willing to state that is not going to change then you have a good chance of having a TDRL decision overturned by the FPEB.

The Veterans Benefits Administration Schedule for Rating Disabilities applies an automatic rating of not less than 50 percent for mental disorders due to traumatic stress, but requires that a follow-up examination be scheduled within the six-month period following the veteran's discharge or placement on the TDRL to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. Somehow this rule isnt followed correctly with both the timeline and rating but I believe the above rule only applies to traumatic stress MH disorders (Combat PTSD and MST PTSD) and not any other MH disorder like OCD, anxiety, depression etc. I guess you have to dig deep in each service components manual to see if this is just a guideline or requirement.

Hello Oxalate!

I think that Oddpedestrian's post really hits the main issue. If your condition is evaluated as meeting the criteria for a 50% or higher rating, then, along with the stability statement, you have a chance for a PDRL finding. However, if it is evaluated at a 30% scheduler rating, then the 50% temporary minimum would apply and TDRL would almost be the required outcome.

Hope this helps and I hope you get your desired outcome.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Wanted to necro this thread but was there some resolution in your case? Going through very similar case myself.

Wanted to necro this thread but was there some resolution in your case? Going through very similar case myself.
Hi popnik,

Because one of my BH conditions was PTSD, per regulations I had to be reevaluated in 6 months. This is for any trauma-based BH conditions. Consequently, you can’t be put on PDRL. If it was only depression and OCD, I might have been placed on it. In the end, I was only TDRL for about 1 year.

Start date: Oct 2021
End date: Dec 2022

The PEB used my VA reevaluation that was performed in Jul 2022. I got notified that the TDRL staff at HRC were reviewing my case and recommending PDRL to the PEB in Nov 2022. I was assigned a PEBLO in the interim. I received notification that I was placed on PDRL like 1.5 weeks later and had orders cut a week later in December.

Cheers!