PEB change from medical separation to retirement - over 2 years processing so far

CharlieSierra

Registered Member
Hi - I was separated from the Air Force in 2004 due to numerous ACL/Meniscus surgeries that were service related. I went up or a MEB in May 2003, and placed on a waiver for a year. In May 2004 I was again up for a MEB and found not fit for duty. I signed the docs on a Monday and within a week separated. No, TAP, no leave, nothing. Just out. At the time I was ok with it because my wife was also Active Duty so I was not worried about benefits ect.

Fast forward to now and reading the 2009 statue to reassess MEB to ensure we were properly either separated or over the 20% for retirement. I have been processing for 2 years with the PDBR to change my separation to retirement and am at a dead end. We have requested my MEB documentation from the Air Force, Archives, Wilford Hall (where I was separated) and the VA and no one has the Air Force form 356 with my separation percentage granted at separation. My wife made copies of my entire medical record, and most of my personnel file before I got out (she was personnel so she had access to them) and we have the narrative summary, the profiles, the separation 214 but not the 356.

Any advice on where/how we can get this form? Its absolutely ridiculous no one has it and that its taken over 2 years and no one can tell me where else to look for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried requesting your records from the national archive ? They receive and maintain all military records. They may be able to fax or mail you the documents.

I am not sure how long those are supposed to be kept on file. Its odd that the national archives would not have any record of those since that's literally their job. Only thing I can think of is contacting the Air Forces IPEB and seeing if they kept it on file. Given its 15 years ago it may be a long shot. I am not in the Air Forces but ill ask around the office since I work with a bunch of retire Air Force personnel and see if one of them may know how to obtain files.

I agree. It should be kept on file - what else would the purpose of the archives be if not to archive records?!

Thank you! I called Wilford Hall and they looked in their files... its so strange they have the 2003 record but not the 2004 MEB where I was separated! :mad:

National Achieves: I have almost every document generated during my military career (20+ yrs AD) EXCEPT: Medical/dental info, including exams.
Most of the documentation came from the NARA. I even have the DA Form 1, Morning Report, for the day I arrived in Vietnam.

My medical records ended up with the VA.

Ron