PEB Found Fit for PTSD

twilli1313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning everyone,

I was recently found fit for PTSD but it is basically a 50% rating alone based on the VA C&P Exam. I have two other conditions that rendered me unfit (left ankle and left leg). I expect those two ratings combined to be 20% or less. If I were to be found unfit for the PTSD then I'd be medically retired, no doubt. I continue to be told that I won't be found unfit for the mental health portion unless I plan on beating my wife, killing myself, killing someone else, or hospitalized for it. How true is that? Has anyone been found unfit for PTSD or another mental health condition without being suicidal, homicidal, or hospitalized? When the ratings come back and I appeal, do I have a chance to be found unfit considering the VA C&P Examiner found me to have "occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity"? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You can appeal the finding of fit to the Formal PEB, then to the Service Secretary. I highly recommend an attorney if you appeal. Either a service provided attorney or one who specilizes in these cases.

The criteria for 50% is:
1565110610339.png

My questions would be how does reduced reliability, weekly panic attacks, impairment of memory, impaired judgement..... (all quoted from rating criteria) effect your military AFSC/MOS/Rate?

twilli1313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You can appeal the finding of fit to the Formal PEB, then to the Service Secretary. I highly recommend an attorney if you appeal. Either a service provided attorney or one who specilizes in these cases.

The criteria for 50% is:
View attachment 4130

My questions would be how does reduced reliability, weekly panic attacks, impairment of memory, impaired judgement..... (all quoted from rating criteria) effect your military AFSC/MOS/Rate?
Thank you for the reply! My counselor has written a statement as well as my wife for the IMR. They still found that my PTSD meets retention standards and forwarded it onto the PEB. We are waiting on ratings to appeal it. I do have service provided legal representation and she has been helping me. She makes it sound like it's possible but I feel as though the military has already made up their mind, irregardless of how many statements are made. I recently had my commander write a statement and we will utilize that in the appeals process once ratings come back. Hoping that might help but I'm seriously not optimistic. Again, thank you for the reply!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Please listen to your attorney. She has access to your complete case. If you have a good relationship with her, stay with her!

Gh0st

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I had P3 for PTSD and was found unfit for it, it was one of the five unfit issues and 50%, based on VA rating. I have been in MH/BH treatment for over 10 years and my medical record reflected that. The Army found me unfit for 5 conditions, gave me 70%, and put me on the TRDL because of PTSD. I don't know why they didn't find your PTSD unfitting. I hope this helps!

Fibrogirl

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
i was told that i will be found unfit for my PTSD and i haven't even gotten my stuff back from the VA exam portion. i guess everyone is optimistic about me being retired...no one has even mentioned the possibility of me being found fit. mine's not even that bad...MH/BH for the past 7 years off/on. i don't have any substance abuse issues to cope, but i have nightmares and daily reminders, due to my son looking exactly like his dad(the cause of my PTSD).

so who knows how they make their determinations! it's mindboggling, honestly.

twilli1313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
That's crazy, but it's awesome for y'all and congrats on the peace of mind. I can tell you from experience that it can be frustrating. I was involved in a car accident in May of 2018 and broke some bones and have difficulty driving. Evidently, not being able to drive, anxiety/panic attacks, irritability, nightmares, insomnia, and other things doesn't render me unfit. Maybe it's because I'm an officer? There are far too many factors at play is the problem. Thank you all for your input!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">