script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

PEB OFFICER UPDATE

Garibay

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It may not be by their design alone. But, it does help the process as it is a part of IDES as a collaborative effort to both benefit the thousands of service members and the IDES personnel involved - not insinuating that I'm trying to take away from our livelihood's importance or an indifference to your opinion.

I agree with you on the shortfalls and the stressors. I am not savvy on the legal/administrative workloads that all transpire and I can't help but have an empathetic approach towards the PEB personnel - not all and this isn't being naïve - I can't imagine having that large of a workload and the stress that's involved for the people who have no control over the choices that have been made.

I understand no one likes unpredictability - especially us - were are in limbo state and it's not reassuring being at the mercy of a design that has failed due to manpower negligence. I don't understand why it happened the way it did and I'll probably never know.

Yes they need your proposed VA ratings when determining DoD Disability on unfitting conditions. But that's really it when it comes to dependency between the two.

But what I'm pointing out is the IPEB is taking ridiculously longer than the VA. There are very few things in this world that can say they are slower than the VA.

DoDM 1332.18 vol.2

"2. IPEB PROCEDURES. The IPEB members must:
a. Within 15 days of receiving the complete and correct MEB case file from the PEB administrator, adjudicate the Service member’s case and forward the findings and recommendations to the PEB administration staff.
b. Within 15 days of receiving proposed disability ratings from the D-RAS, apply the ratings using the diagnostic code(s) provided by the D-RAS to the Service member’s unfitting conditions and publish the disposition recommendation. For example, if the PEB identifies a condition to the D-RAS as schizophreniform disorder, but the D-RAS rates the condition as psychotic disorder not otherwise specified (VASRD 9210), then the PEB will apply the rating as “schizophreniform disorder rated as psychotic disorder not otherwise specified (VASRD 9210).”
c. Evaluate the Service member’s request for FPEB. If a Service member requests an FPEB when the decision of the IPEB is fit for all conditions, then the PEB President or FPEB (or as specified by Military Department regulations) may, but is not required to, grant the Service member’s request. If the request is granted, the PEB administrator prepares the case for an FPEB."

This is an assumption but I would find it very hard to believe that whenever that DoDM was written that they didn't ask the president of the board how long a IPEB should take or gotten some kind of recommendation on timelines that are achievable. But going off this I admit that I am also not savvy on the legal/admin work the board has to go through. I have no issues with the personnel there currently because they likely just fell into a bad situation created by their predecessors. BUT I do find issues with letting the issue metastasize into what we have today where thousands of individuals and their families are being affected by the shortfalls of one command. I also have little sympathy for 05/06s making north of 10k a month between just base pay and BAH complaining about workload. Like I said if I was months behind on work my RS and RO would have me working day and night and I would still get the worst FITREP possible. I guarantee there hasn't been a unsat performance evaluation for anybody who has contributed to the current problem. (not saying people should get unsat evals if they inherited the issue).

It is unacceptable for Marines and Sailors already going through difficulties in life due to whatever they are being referred for to have this as an added stressor. The fact that we have an uphill battle just for information on our cases is unbelievable. If I went into a meeting with my commander and he inquired the status of something under my charge and I told him "I don't know" or "you'll know when I know" and didn't have any status or expected timelines on when id get that information to him I'd be stripping down to boots and utes to go cut the grass for the rest of my time at the unit.

Samalex12

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes they need your proposed VA ratings when determining DoD Disability on unfitting conditions. But that's really it when it comes to dependency between the two.

But what I'm pointing out is the IPEB is taking ridiculously longer than the VA. There are very few things in this world that can say they are slower than the VA.

DoDM 1332.18 vol.2

a. Within 15 days of receiving the complete and correct MEB case file from the PEB administrator, adjudicate the Service member’s case and forward the findings and recommendations to the PEB administration staff.
b. Within 15 days of receiving proposed disability ratings from the D-RAS, apply the ratings using the diagnostic code(s) provided by the D-RAS to the Service member’s unfitting conditions and publish the disposition recommendation. For example, if the PEB identifies a condition to the D-RAS as schizophreniform disorder, but the D-RAS rates the condition as psychotic disorder not otherwise specified (VASRD 9210), then the PEB will apply the rating as “schizophreniform disorder rated as psychotic disorder not otherwise specified (VASRD 9210).”
c. Evaluate the Service member’s request for FPEB. If a Service member requests an FPEB when the decision of the IPEB is fit for all conditions, then the PEB President or FPEB (or as specified by Military Department regulations) may, but is not required to, grant the Service member’s request. If the request is granted, the PEB administrator prepares the case for an FPEB."

This is an assumption but I would find it very hard to believe that whenever that DoDM was written that they didn't ask the president of the board how long a IPEB should take or gotten some kind of recommendation on timelines that are achievable. But going off this I admit that I am also not savvy on the legal/admin work the board has to go through. I have no issues with the personnel there currently because they likely just fell into a bad situation created by their predecessors. BUT I do find issues with letting the issue metastasize into what we have today where thousands of individuals and their families are being affected by the shortfalls of one command. I also have little sympathy for 05/06s making north of 10k a month between just base pay and BAH complaining about workload. Like I said if I was months behind on work my RS and RO would have me working day and night and I would still get the worst FITREP possible. I guarantee there hasn't been a unsat performance evaluation for anybody who has contributed to the current problem. (not saying people should get unsat evals if they inherited the issue).

It is unacceptable for Marines and Sailors already going through difficulties in life due to whatever they are being referred for to have this as an added stressor. The fact that we have an uphill battle just for information on our cases is unbelievable. If I went into a meeting with my commander and he inquired the status of something under my charge and I told him "I don't know" or "you'll know when I know" and didn't have any status or expected timelines on when id get that information to him I'd be stripping down to boots and utes to go cut the grass for the rest of my time at the unit.
You should definitely be the spokesperson for all of us this is exactly how all of us feel and it’s completely frustrating and discouraging. A lot of us are away from our spouses and families trying to plan for literally the UNKNOWN. There is no way to plan for that. I can get a home because I have no future “incomes”. I can’t get a job because I have no end date. I can’t enroll my child into childcare or be added to waitlists for that without a date. however, I am still held accountable for my end of the board and work and all other life stressors. Their excuses are played out and that’s the entire point.

PR14

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

DoDM 1332.18 vol.2

I agree. It is a sad prolonged series of events that has affected many people. I have been in IDES for 441 days, I am worn out.

[email protected]

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hopefully that is the case. My package was sent up on the 27th of May, and my VA info was sent over to PEB on the 7th of September. no luck getting my proposed ratings out of the VA either.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There have been major personnel changes at the Navy PEB. This includes at the higher HQ. the Navy Council of Review Boards (CORB). There have been retirements and replacements of senior personnel (one of whom was a former uniformed PEB President who is now serving as DoN Civilian).

I am not overly concerned by the single-member IPEB. COVID did change a lot of things and caused a delay for some time in many cases. However, I have also seen some cases (oddly, perhaps) benefit from the delays and backlogs. It is impossible to directly attribute what I have seen to COVID or any other factor, but in some cases, I have seen some "good resolutions of cases" via offers for summary adjudications or stipulated findings that may not have been as forthcoming in the past.

Bottom line, however, is that if the contention or desired outcome is supported by solid evidence, it is far more likely than not that a good result will follow. The boards across all services still make errors, but the key for members is to gather the evidence that supports their meritorious claims.

UsmcAirwinger17

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Wait yall have S-1s that open??
Nah the S-1 at my unit isn’t going to be In they’re all on an exercise, but I need to check out so the SDO said “I’ll figure out how to get you a check out sheet… (5 mins later) I’m getting relieved and going to sleep at my house have a good day”
Lmao had to go to the parent command to help me

Samalex12

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What a joke.

Attachments

• 031D7720-1C68-4B82-BC13-74F11C666826.jpeg
    031D7720-1C68-4B82-BC13-74F11C666826.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 38