PEB or MEB

A MEB is an informal proceeding consisting of at least two physicians evaluating the medical history of a soldier and determining how the injury/disease will respond to treatment protocols.

The PEB is a fact-finding board that evaluates all cases of physical disability on behalf of the soldier/sailor/ marine/airman.

You will go through a MEB(medical evaluation board) before you go through the PEB(physical evaluation board). If the MEB feels that you are not fit to continue with military service you are sent to the PEB for those conditions that do not meet retention standards.

I do believe that this is how it works. I hope this helps a little.

Thank you for your reply.
What type of doctor should be the one to initiate the PEB? I'm in the Navy, and my PCM is a Nurse Practitioner and said that she would not be able to do it. This comes as a frustration to me because of the fact that I would want the person that writes my dictation to be someone that has been following my case and has seen me through this whole process. That being said, all of the specialty doctors that I have seen are all civilians. What should I do?

Apparently I've already gone through the MEB process because 2 providers reviewed my case and decided to send me to an internal medicine doctor for initiation of PEB, though I was told my purpose for seeing this IM would be for treatment so it came as a big suprise. The IM didn't want to initiate because he had not been following my case and is not familiar with my conditions, but recommended the initiation take place after my last specialty appointment which is this saturday. I feel as if it is all hitting me at once, even though I have been doing alot of research and knew it was coming.