PEB/PDRL: some detail questions, re: post 9/11 GI bill

dustoffguy

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hi all - I am having a hard time nailing down answers on google, hopefully somebody can help. Background: I went through PEB for PTSD from the Army Guard in March 2013, medically retired with orders dated 3/13/2013. I have some post 9/11 GI bill left, and am thinking about getting an online Masters. VA website currently shows me eligible for 90% benefits, expiring 10/2022 (last active duty DD214 was 10/2007, expires 15 years later).

My questions are -

1) Shouldn't it be 100% eligibility due to medical retirement?
2) Does a chapter 61 retirement after 1/1/2013 eliminate the expiration of benefits under the Forever GI Bill? Or does going through PEB count as active duty, which would put my last active stint after 1/1/13? It would be helpful to have some more time to get this done if possible.

Having trouble answering those questions and so far so is the VA hotline. Thanks very much in advance.

Don't Use the GI bill. Go on VA.Gov and apply for Voc Rehab. You get an additional year on top of what you would have for the GI Bill. Its a better route to go and you get a rep to help you with a LOT of it.

Thx - I'd love voc rehab but doubt I'd qualify. I was an aviator and after counseling can hold an FAA medical, currently a GS-13 pilot for the G. So unfortunately kinda hard to justify an employment handicap. Local college has a growing flight program and they've inquired about my teaching classes, thus wanting the masters. Not required for part time profs but I'm hoping to make it full time after I retire from the gov't.

Last edited:
Seems like you should be 100% eligible. At least that's how I thought it worked. I was medically separated after only 6 years and 4 months and am 100% eligible.