Pending FFDE

rachelf85

PEB Forum Regular Member
A little background: I broke my femoral neck in BCT a week before graduation and ended up having a hip pinning. I went through rehabilitation and passed my APFT, so I was sent to AIT to continue training. I passed another APFT shortly after arrival, but the pain has never gone away. I tried to push through it but when I put on my full battle gear, my leg collapsed and I was sent to the MTF where they gave me some decent pain killers and set me up for physical therapy. Sadly, it is a small post so I only get one appointment before I see the orthopedist again. My CO and 1SG had a meeting and have decided to send me to a FFDE. I am still an IET soldier, but I've been in the Army now for 15 months.

I looked up the retention standards for hip ROM and there is no way I meet them and I honestly cannot push through the pain anymore. It is challenging me mentally now. I don't know the regulations about an IET soldier getting on permanent profile but I'm told that I cannot graduate my AIT training with one.

So my question is this: does my ability to walk without a limp guarantee that I'll be rated less than 30%? I don't want to get discharged but I can't run, I can't ruck march, and I can't qualify with my weapon because I can't kneel, so if I have to be separated, I want to make sure I start this process the correct way.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

So my question is this: does my ability to walk without a limp guarantee that I'll be rated less than 30%? I don't want to get discharged but I can't run, I can't ruck march, and I can't qualify with my weapon because I can't kneel, so if I have to be separated, I want to make sure I start this process the correct way.

No, there is very things "guaranteed." Your condition sounds like it is unfitting. So, the next question is how it stacks up against the rating criteria. This would depend on what your disability is and what level of disability you have. Range of Motion is often dispositive, but not always.

Hope all goes well for you (both medically and through the board process).

I figured that only the MEB can determine that because every individual is different, but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks for your quick response, Jason. This forum is amazing and I'm so glad I can use it as a resource.

Back