Percentages Received Advice

Good Morning All,

First woudl like to say how helpful this Forum has been through this process, so thank you to all of you for your posts and advice. So I am 22years Army Medically Retiring, today I received my Percentages. I received 50% from the Army and 90% from the VA. I am wondering should I be happy with this, appeal this? I havent had my counjceling yet to see how the percentages shaked out. I am getting Medically Retired for PTSD, but i also have/claimed Sleep Apnea, Back issues, Ankle Issues w/ Surgery. Anyway just kinda looking for some genral advice on what I should do and how I should feel about the percentages I received. Do I also get time to see a lawyer before I sign anything? I literally have no one here to help and my PEBLO is kinda just indifferent about everything. Thanks in Advance

Although I know almost nothing about the process you mentioned, the following would apply to pay matters. (Also, Retired Pay will be waived dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. CRDP restores and CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay.)

1. If your 22 years are active duty in the Army, then your multiplier for retired pay would be: 22 x 2.5% = 55% or the 50% rate from the board. Multiplier x average high three base pay = retired pay

2. Also if your 22 years are active duty, you will be eligible for CRDP.

3. If the 22 years are good years in a reserve status rather than 22 AD years in regular Army, you would not be eligible for CRDP until you met the age requirement for reserve retirement.

The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

2.5 percent for each year (active duty or active duty equivalent) of service, or
disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire
Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

DFAS uses the method that results in the largest payment. But if you’d like to choose the other method, please send DFAS your request in writing.

Ron

Last edited: