Permanent Disability Retirement from Active Duty / Retirement Ceremony? USMC

Panda24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was recently found Unfit and am now being medically retired. My full intention going in the the Marine Corps was to do my 20 and retire. I have been in 12 years (SSgt) now and am just awaiting an EAS from HQMC. Some of my peers, friends, and family are asking me if I am going to do a ceremony or not. I would like to, but I also am not sure if I "deserve it" due to I did not make it the full 20 or even the 15 with TERA. I have spoke with 2 former Marines who have retired and they are telling me that I should do it. I have never seen or heard of anyone with a medical retirement finding have a ceremony. Looking for any input, thoughts, and guidance. Thank you.

I was in the same boat as you regarding whether or not I should do a ceremony for a medical retirement. Initially I was against it as I felt it took away from those with 20+ years of service. I did however come the the conclusion, after much soul searching and advise from others, that the ceremony isn't for the Marine retiring-- it's for the friends, family, and other service members who have influenced you throughout your career. For me, it was an opportunity to thank everyone who made me the person I am today, and it was honestly very humbling.

So you did do one? I even asked the PEBLO today, who is a GySgt from an IPAC and she said "it's only for those who do 20 and TERA. Not for medical retirement, because if you where found fit you would be given the opportunity to reenlist."

I saw someone have one for PDRL, but it was low key. Retirement order/awards read at POA with BC there. However, only a few close friends and family were in attendance.

That is not true for the air force. It is in the regulation that a person who is being medically retired should get a retirement ceromony just if you did your 20 years. So I would think the same holds true for the Marines.

That is not true for the air force. It is in the regulation that a person who is being medically retired should get a retirement ceromony just if you did your 20 years. So I would think the same holds true for the Marines.
Just if... or just as if?

From the way I read the Army Regulations if you are being retired you are due a retirement ceremony, PERIOD. There is no distinction between someone who made 20 years and someone who is being medically retired because they are disabled due to their service.

IMHO, the Solider, Sailor, Airmen, or Marine who is forced to leave the service early due to being disabled by that service IS DUE a retirement ceremony. Spending 20 years or more in the service is a sacrifice of time spent for your country, and should be recognized. But so should the SM who will deal with their service connected disability for the rest of their life, that in my eyes is the higher sacrifice in service of your country.

Short answer, hell yes you are due a retirement ceremony.

On that note, I asked for a retirement ceremony from my Army National Guard unit due to being medically retired with a severe spinal cord injury. The readiness NCO told me flat out they wouldn't spend any unit funds on a plaque or anything, and given his attitude I doubt I'll be receiving a Army Commendation medal or Meritorious Service Medal as is customary for a retiring Soldier.

I retire in 6 days, and the Unit Commander told me 3 days ago that the earliest they can do a retirement ceremony is August. He was good enough to say that I did deserve one, but as I lay here after 3 hours sleep before the pain woke me up again, I can't help but feel that it's more a formality than a sincere act of appreciation for the sacrifices I have made and will continue to endure.

I am still determined to have the ceremony, if for no other reason than the fact that injured or wounded Soldiers should not be brushed under the rug and forgotten.

Last edited:
Good for you. My active duty went against regulations and I never received a retirement ceromony. I was more or less treaded as a libility once I was injured and could no longer perform my official duties.

One of my coworkers was medically retired at 10 years and protocol was to give her a retirement ceremony. She received the same retirement as if she would have made it to 20 years. The easiest way to find out is contacting base protocol office.

Everyone above is correct. The reference for Marines is MCO 1900.16G, Chapter 8, Section 4. If you are being medically retired, then yes, you rate a retirement ceremony.

Go ahead and try and pull this at your command in the Marines...you will get laughed right out of the Company office.

Source: Ive watched it happen.

Go ahead and try and pull this at your command in the Marines...you will get laughed right out of the Company office.

Source: Ive watched it happen.
If you are being Retired, even Medically, your are DUE a Retirement Ceremony, and the command that laughs you off are not only WRONG, they are in violation of the regulations.

Source: The Regulations.

Its in the regulations. I agree!