Permanent retirement

Sherap

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I was medically permanently retired out of the army last year with 40% dod rating and 90% va rating. If my medical conditions improve and let’s say my VA rating goes below the dod rating to 20% in the future, will I lose the Tricare benefits? Or I am retired for life and will be eligible for Tricare for life no matter what?

Hi everyone,

I was medically permanently retired out of the army last year with 40% dod rating and 90% va rating. If my medical conditions improve and let’s say my VA rating goes below the dod rating to 20% in the future, will I lose the Tricare benefits? Or I am retired for life and will be eligible for Tricare for life no matter what?
You are locked in for a medical retirement at 40% rating regardless of what the VA rates you in the future. You will have Tricare no matter what going forward.

You are locked in for a medical retirement at 40% rating regardless of what the VA rates you in the future. You will have Tricare no matter what going forward.
Thank you so much for replying. Also, my dod retirement amount was $1025 with 40% army rating. That amount was mentioned in the retirement letter from the dod. Does it also mean I will get $1025 a month for life no matter for life even if the va rating goes below 40%? I currently get va disability pay since my va rating is way higher than dod rating.

You are correct. That is the minimum amount you will get going forward. Any VA compensation will offset that amount but at least you can count on that. Also, always accept VA compensation even if there is an offset since VA compensation is tax free while your medical retirement pension is not.

You are correct. That is the minimum amount you will get going forward. Any VA compensation will offset that amount but at least you can count on that. Also, always accept VA compensation even if there is an offset since VA compensation is tax free while your medical retirement pension is not.
Thank you again for your reply. Just to be clear, that retirement pay of $1025 from the dod will be for life no matter what right ?

Thank you again for your reply. Just to be clear, that retirement pay of $1025 from the dod will be for life no matter what right ?
Hello @Sherap

Excellent advice by Provis.

Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

If there is residual retired pay (left over from the reduction) you get to keep it.

If your VA rating is reduced, it will also reduce the amount of the offset/reduction.

Ron

Hi everyone,

How many years of active duty did you serve before being medically permanently retired? Did you have a combat related injury?

@Sherap , Thirty percent or more DoD (PDRL) = TRICARE eligibility and is unrelated to the VA rating.
The “P” is for permanent.

Ron

@Sherap , Thirty percent or more DoD (PDRL) = TRICARE eligibility and is unrelated to the VA rating.
The “P” is for permanent.

Ron
Hi RonG,

This might sound like a very dumb question but can your dod rating ever get reduced after being on PDRL? Can the dod re-rate your disability rating with medical exams? I was just wondering.

Hi RonG,

This might sound like a very dumb question but can your dod rating ever get reduced after being on PDRL? Can the dod re-rate your disability rating with medical exams? I was just wondering.
The DoD rating is not subject to re-evaluation.

Ron
added: "
Thirty percent or more DoD (PDRL) = TRICARE eligibility and is unrelated to the VA rating.
The “P” is for permanent."

Last edited: