Phrasing on DD-214/Please Help

Hello,

I am posting this on behalf of my son who is a 100% perm&totally disabled vet with a service-connected disability through the VA and was rated 100% TDRL by the DOD.

Can anyone answer if on the DD-214 on box 28 (narrative reason for separation) if it simply says "Disability" does that mean that it's not service connected?

Thank you in advance for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

Hello,

I am posting this on behalf of my son who is a 100% perm&totally disabled vet with a service-connected disability through the VA and was rated 100% TDRL by the DOD.

Can anyone answer if on the DD-214 on box 28 (narrative reason for separation) if it simply says "Disability" does that mean that it's not service connected?

Thank you in advance for your help! I greatly appreciate it.
No.
28: Narrative Reason for Separation. This typically refers to the expiration of a veteran’s term of service, but other reasons include pregnancy, parenthood, disability, hardship and early release to attend school.

The fact he was placed on the TDRL is evidence of service connected disabilities (DoD rating).

Ron

No.
28: Narrative Reason for Separation. This typically refers to the expiration of a veteran’s term of service, but other reasons include pregnancy, parenthood, disability, hardship and early release to attend school.

The fact he was placed on the TDRL is evidence of service connected disabilities (DoD rating).

Ron
Thank you, Ron. He was denied GI Bill benefits because they said they didn't have proof of a service-connected disability. I guess he will have to appeal.

Appreciate the advice!

Thank you, Ron. He was denied GI Bill benefits because they said they didn't have proof of a service-connected disability. I guess he will have to appeal.

That is quite odd since apparently he has a 100% rating from the VA per your remarks. That indicates service connection by the same organization which processes the “GI Bill benefits.”

Ron

Yes. 100% P&T service connected through the VA. When he applied for GI Bill benefits they said they didn't have proof of a service-connected disability through the DOD.

Confusing, I know!

Yes. 100% P&T service connected through the VA. When he applied for GI Bill benefits they said they didn't have proof of a service-connected disability through the DOD.

Confusing, I know!
Well, it is good you are helping him; I still do the same for my 40 year old son (while he rolls his eyes...).

The retirement orders, his DD214 and his VA comp award should be more than adequate for the benefits issue.

Ron

If you continue to get push back contact your Congressman. Your son could not be 100% P&T VA or on TDRL without service connection. NO SC means no benefits! Benefits means SC.

If you continue to get push back contact your Congressman. Your son could not be 100% P&T VA or on TDRL without service connection. NO SC means no benefits! Benefits means SC.
Thank you, Sir. I spent two hours on the phone with the GI Bill benefits hotline and for some reason, they act like he is the first person to be on TRDL with the DOD and be applying for the GI Bill. We are trying to work through it!

“GI Bill” benefits are managed by the VA. Many veterans receive those benefits without being in a retired status.

There is a lengthy article about Post-9/11 benefits at the following link:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp

Recommend the article be reviewed.

It begins with..

Post-9/11 GI Bill
If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Purple Heart recipients, regardless of length of service, are qualified for Post-9/11 benefits at the 100% level. Certain members of the Reserves who lost education benefits when REAP was sunset in November 2015, may also be eligible to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Whether you want to apply your GI Bill benefits to college classes or an on-the-job training program, the GI Bill Comparison Tool will help you make the most of them.

If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits. For more information see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

The Post-9/11 GI Bill has a few specific components that are unavailable in other GI Bill programs:

—-
Ron

Added: Many VA programs are linked in the left margin of the link (web page) provided.

Last edited: