Physical Disability Board vs Straight Retirement

truebrotha,

Welcome!

1) I was told be my retirement office that the PED cannot give me less of a percentage that I would receive at ordinary retirement. Does any one know if this is true?
Yes, this is true. The minimum you will get is 2.5% times years of service times retired base pay.

2) after reading some of the posts its seems as if I should try and fight to straight retire other than going through a Physical Evaluation Board. Reading about CRDP & CRSC didn't help much at all...( :confused: ). Look as if the government will break you either way by taking back money.

What is advantageous is getting to 20 years of service. After that, what is best depends on your base pay, years of service, and combat-related nature of your injuries. Since you have already crossed the 20 year mark, without knowing more, it is possible that you can do better (up to 75% of your retired base pay) under the PEB than you would otherwise. Knowing for sure takes running the numbers and making some educated guesses about what your VA rating might be.

Hope all goes well and please feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Thank you for your QUICK response!! I appreciate it! :)

Would this men that if I went through the PED and possibly received up to 75% of my retired pay, could I still go the the VA and receive Compensation as well? :confused:

Now is this when CDRA & CDSC come into play? :rolleyes:

Would this men that if I went through the PED and possibly received up to 75% of my retired pay, could I still go the the VA and receive Compensation as well? :confused:
Yes.

Now is this when CDRA & CDSC come into play? :rolleyes:
Yes, this would possible allow partial or total receipt of compensation from both sources, depending on the outcome of the PEB and your VA award. (It is CRDP or CRSC that you would apply for depending on your circumstances).

Best of luck!

Knowing for sure takes running the numbers and making some educated guesses about what your VA rating might be.

How can I start to find out what my VA Rating might be?

I have chronic back pain (P2 since 05), mutilevel disk degeneration with diffuse disk desiccation of the lower cervical spine and significant loss of disk space height at C6-C7, herniated disk in my mid back w/DDD and Lumbar Disk Disease; I have had Physical Therapy, Shots for pain management, Chiropator, and going back to a neurosurgen for a second oppinion on surgery (was trying not to have surgery :eek:)

Chronic right ankle pain (P3 since 98 plus two surgeries); Insomia (I have to take Ambient), Chronic headaches (I have to take Midrin), and Sleep Apnea w/CPAP.

I think I might get 60-70% from VA??? Just don't know what I will get from the PEB....LOL

Thank you for ALL your help!!

How can I start to find out what my VA Rating might be?

I have chronic back pain (P2 since 05), mutilevel disk degeneration with diffuse disk desiccation of the lower cervical spine and significant loss of disk space height at C6-C7, herniated disk in my mid back w/DDD and Lumbar Disk Disease; I have had Physical Therapy, Shots for pain management, Chiropator, and going back to a neurosurgen for a second oppinion on surgery (was trying not to have surgery :eek:)

Chronic right ankle pain (P3 since 98 plus two surgeries); Insomia (I have to take Ambient), Chronic headaches (I have to take Midrin), and Sleep Apnea w/CPAP.

I think I might get 60-70% from VA??? Just don't know what I will get from the PEB....LOL

Thank you for ALL your help!!

Cruze over to the rating section: Linked VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) - Physical Evaluation Board Forum

Sleep Apnea w/cpap is usually rated at 50% from VA if it is service connected. If it began or was aggrevated while on active duty, it should be service related. I had the diagnosis and the sleep studies done by the military and the VA rated it at 50%.

CSM