Pilot medical disqualification and Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC)

sq52

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi-

I am an Active Duty pilot being medically disqualified from flying. I believe I still meet retention standards. I do have an Assignment Limitation Code (ALC) of C-2. I'm also currently on a profile where I can't run. I am considering retraining, or separating, but I currently have about 4 years left on my ADSC. My questions are:
1. Can/will my ADSC be waived?
2. If not, do I have to retrain? What happens if I decline retraining?

Thank you!!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

In my opinion, the majority of the members of this board (past and present) were/are enlisted and most (all ranks) had/have 10 years or less of active duty.

You are certainly welcome to post your concerns here, but if I had a similar situation, I first would do my own research via regulations on the Internet and the location where posted.
A visit to your personnel office might be in order.

Here is one source of info regarding ADSC, but I doubt it is adequate for your needs.
Air Force Instruction 36-2107, Active Duty Service Commitments: What Aviators Need to Know. <---LINK

I've tagged a couple of senior members of this board who might be able to offer better assistance.
@chaplaincharlie @tony292

Good luck,
Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Addendum:

AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2107
https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2107/afi36-2107.pdf <---LINK

3.8. Failure to Complete the ADSC for Education, Bonus, or Similar Benefit, Title 37, U.S.C., Section 303a(e) or Section 373. 3.8.1.

Members who fail to complete their ADSC are subject to recoupment, unless waived in accordance with AFI 36-2649, Voluntary Education Program, of a prorated portion of the cost of educational assistance, financial bonus, or benefit. 3.8.2. Members remaining on active duty do not have the option of reimbursing the government in lieu of fulfilling an ADSC. EXCEPTION: Members who must repay Tuition Assistance in full as directed by the government (incomplete grade, failing grade, or class dropped) may request removal of the ADSC. The Military Personnel Flight or Education Services Officer will confirm recoupment action and coordinate with AFPC/DP2LT to remove ADSC from member’s records.

Ron

sq52

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I guess the link you referenced is confusing to me because I will not be re-qual-ing to my original AFSC. I am ineligible for that.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

sq52

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
They can support me all they want, the other unknown is what the medical and reclass board people will say. Will they let me retrain. Thank you for your help with all of this!

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Sir, as an enlisted member with 20 years total (2 years irr, 18 good guard years and 15 of those active) I would highly recommend if you can stay in and cross train please do that. Some of us dont have that option and it would be a waste of a good officer from my read of you from this post. Good officers is what we need these days, bad ones can cause harm to their people.... the Air Force needs you as a leader for the enlisted and you can help people even more so and have a positive impact more than in the cockpit. My thoughts.... read through my history.... I could have used and needed good leadership and that wasn't there.

Last edited:

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Generally PEBs are determined based on your current AFSC/MOS. If a person is medicallly separated/retired ADSC are waived. Unless the rules have changed retraining is not an option.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">