Pilot PTSD MEB

afarcryfromsane

Registered Member
Hello all,

I am new to this site and the MEB process, and despite all the research I have done, I have found very little about what could happen to me as an Army Aviator being recommended for MEB with PTSD.

Long story short, I am permanently grounded, just awaiting the permanent profile and permanent downslide within the next week or so. The only dq condition will be PTSD, it was a direct result from an aircraft crash and a portion of my symptoms go back to my 11B combat deployment as well.

From what I have been able to tell, the MAR2 process will kick it all off and see if I can serve the remainder of my commitment (about 2 years) in another MOS/branch. The tricky part here is that my prior enlisted MOS (11B) and rank (SPC) does not qualify me for other Warrant Officer MOS, so it would require a waiver for a branch transfer, approved by that branch chief. I will be honest, I do not desire to continue with the Army past my ADSO, regardless of MOS, and I would not request an MOS transfer myself. If i were re-classified it would only be needs of the army and I would not accept an additional ADSO.

My question(s) to this community are pretty basic

1) Will the army attempt to retain me in another branch/MOS, or will my lack of availability/time for re-training/PTSD diagnosis essentially ensure a recommendation for medical retirement on the TRDL?

2) What is the verdict on the permanent profiles limiting/restricting PCS/TDY/extended training away from installation? We are a busy unit with a dramatic shortage of pilots. The company is doing its best to protect me from off installation taskings, including one that is coming up very soon (possibly before the permanent profile is approved by Div). If I can tell the company commander that the profile will prohibit sending me away, it will make it easier for him to tell BN i am unavailable. I will say that they are at least reasonable enough that if we tell them the permanent profile will restrict certain things

I am sure I will think of others later, but these are the main two. I just kind of want to know what to expect as a pilot, and what type of limitations I and my command have while I am in the process.

LeoS

Registered Member
This is off your subject but still on it per se. Hopefully, you are receiving regular counseling and have all of your treatment records.
Treat the MAR2/MEB/PEB process as a judicial process. Have all of your documents in hand, on a thumb drive and in a cloud for ease of access.
If you have not started going to a local Vet Center, do so. A Licenced Clinal Social Worker(LCSW) will assist you through cognitive behavior therapy. The Vet Center serves combat veterans with issues like PTSD and anxiety.

afarcryfromsane

Registered Member
This is off your subject but still on it per se. Hopefully, you are receiving regular counseling and have all of your treatment records.
Treat the MAR2/MEB/PEB process as a judicial process. Have all of your documents in hand, on a thumb drive and in a cloud for ease of access.
If you have not started going to a local Vet Center, do so. A Licenced Clinal Social Worker(LCSW) will assist you through cognitive behavior therapy. The Vet Center serves combat veterans with issues like PTSD and anxiety.
Thanks for the tips!

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anything with MH and flying just know there are a lot more long term consequences that can affect your flight career for life just keep that in mind I know it may not be a big deal to you now but it can be down the road.

Most likely an MEB/unfit/TDRL is what I would prep for.

afarcryfromsane

Registered Member
Anything with MH and flying just know there are a lot more long term consequences that can affect your flight career for life just keep that in mind I know it may not be a big deal to you now but it can be down the road.

Most likely an MEB/unfit/TDRL is what I would prep for.
Yeah, I've been familiar with those ramifications before I even went to my first appointment. Its why I put it off as long as I did. I even considered going outside the army system. I just had to be at peace with what happened so I could make sure I was safe in the aircraft. It didn't work out exactly the way I wanted, now Im here.

Thanks, I kinda expect that, just making sure I wasn't seeing it through my own straw

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, you are your best advocate with the assistance of your assigned PEBLO while navigating throughout the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process for sure! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

afarcryfromsane

Registered Member
Just a short update.

The Permanent profile initiated the MEB without the MAR2 process, as I was dq'd from 2 of the soldier tasks.

The permanent profile also answered the question of TDY eligibility, by stating the unit could not send me TDY until a fit for duty determination was made.

Within a week of receiving the permanent profile, I had been formally removed from flight status and flight pay status.

PEBLO has contacted me and the first bout of appointments have been scheduled.

My case is pretty simple, well documented in my records, and definitely linked to combat. Now it is just a question of timeline. We will see.

If i get any information relevant to fellow aviators, I will post it here. So far, the only part in the process where that has seemed to matter was the quick turnaround on the Permanent Profile. I suspect it will play a huge part in the fit for duty determination, but not much else beyond that.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">