Please Help Jason or anyone that can!! Fit Question-12 years TIS

mysticasphalt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Your thoughts please on fitness of the following diagnosis going to the PEB:
P4 profile under S
Axis I: PTSD, Chronic
Secondary diagnosis for axis I related to the Axis I diagnosis of PTSD: Major Depressive Disorder, Amphetamine Dependence, Benzodiazepine Dependence. The secondary diagnosis represents a progression of the primary diagnosis of PTSD.
Axis II: No diagnosis
Axis IV: Exposure to and involvement in combat activity and training during the Iraq war.
Axis V: Th GAF score is 54, Moderate to Moderately Severe symptoms.

Remarks: The best description of the claimant's current psychiatric impairment is: psychiatric symptoms cause occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent inability to perform occupational tasks although generally the person is functioning satisfactorily with routine behavior, self-care and normal conversation. The prognosis for the psychiatric condition of this claimant is favorable, over time, though is dependent upon his compliance with the treatment interventions as set by his healthcare professionals.

Commander's Letter recommends my discharge from the military as best for the Army and the Soldier.

Please advise

Sounds like an unfit finding, though, without knowing more about your situation, this is always a difficult call. The language supports a 30% rating, though with PTSD, the minimum rating is 50% (temporary, with re-evaluation in 6 months). I wonder if they addressed your dependency issues as, secondary to PTSD, they should be compensable.

Thanks for your input Jason. The only thing that worries me about the remarks section was the va doc's explanation of my current psychiatric condition along with the prognosis. I am seeking an unfit finding. The amphetamine and benzodiazepine dependency are related the secondary diagnosis does represent a progression of the primary ptsd diagnosis because they are related to the ptsd and the traumas he experienced in war. However I reply jhave left the alcohol and abuse program through the army which might affect that compensation. Do you recommend that I re enroll in that program. I need that help but cannot stand the psych docs and social workers in the program and they prevent me from the medication that betters my condition. I was in the asap program for a year and recently left. Since the remark section puts me in the 30% compensation category would the army retain me to save money in hopes that I improve? Thanks for your prompt reply Jason!

Have you seen those dependencies compensated?

Never, but the law says they have to. You have to remember that not many people get that condition noted in the first place (many should, but they often fall into problems with UCMJ or administrative issues and don't make it to a PEB) and most people never challenge any findings at all. But, it is something that can be challenged if they fail to rate it appropriately.

Thanks Jason! Are you available for hire? I'd like to keep you up on my case and hire you if necessary. Can you send me your email?

Sent via PM.