Please help me with my CRSC calculation.

Blackhawk60

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
High Ron, wondering if you can help me I tried calculating my CRSC but, I've given up.

1. Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $28160.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940. 55% of retirement due to Redux.

2. DOD Disability Retirement Percentage= 100% which would be 75%

3. Active duty Calculation= 24 years

4. VA rating= 100% $3545.67 Veteran, Spouse and 2 children under 18

5. Approved CRSC 90%

Re: “ 1. Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $28160.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940.”

What is the gross retired pay on recent RAS? I doubt it is $28,160.

Alternative:
Total of Highest 36 months of retired pay divided by 36 = high three.

I will likely have to pick this up in the morning. Someone else might answer before then.

Ron

Re: “ 1. Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $28160.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940.”

Alternative:

I will likely have to pick this up in the morning. Someone else might answer before then.

Ron

Alternative:

Ron
k a

23 years put me back at 50% retirement the additional 1 year made it 55% retirement.

High Ron, wondering if you can help me I tried calculating my CRSC but, I've given up.

1. Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $2,816.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940. 55% of retirement due to Redux.

2. DOD Disability Retirement Percentage= 100% which would be 75%

3. Active duty Calculation= 24 years

4. VA rating= 100% $3545.67 Veteran, Spouse and 2 children under 18

5. Approved CRSC 90%
A. 2816/0.75 = 3754.66 high three … what do the numbers 4637; 4734; and 4940 signify? There seems to be conflicting info. The high three average base pay is one of the most important factors in the computation of CRSC for chapter 61 retirees.

B. I noticed you received REDUX.
Your CRSC is the LESSER of the gross dollar amount of your longevity earned retirement (using the REDUX formula)
OR
the dollar amount of the VA disability compensation your approved combat related disabilities (the service approved CRSC percentage will mirror the same percentage in the VA comp tables).
Note: As you likely know, REDUX uses a multiplier that is the same as for the High-36 retirement plan, except the multiplier is reduced by one percentage point for each year less than 30 the member has at retirement.

C. High three: High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Ron

To get "high three" you really have to go month-by-month. Over the course of three years, you will have gotten a raise every 12 months, a raise for every two years of service, and a raise for any promotions. For example, mine include six different amounts that ranged from one month to 12 months each.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. That is why it is defined as “...the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay.”

The 36 months aren’t necessarily consecutive 36 months, although I suspect in most cases it is that.

You provided an excellent example.

Ron

A. 2816/0.75 = 3754.66 high three … what do the numbers 4637; 4734; and 4940 signify? There seems to be conflicting info. The high three average base pay is one of the most important factors in the computation of CRSC for chapter 61 retirees.

B. I noticed you received REDUX.
Your CRSC is the LESSER of the gross dollar amount of your longevity earned retirement (using the REDUX formula)
OR
the dollar amount of the VA disability compensation your approved combat related disabilities (the service approved CRSC percentage will mirror the same percentage in the VA comp tables).
Note: As you likely know, REDUX uses a multiplier that is the same as for the High-36 retirement plan, except the multiplier is reduced by one percentage point for each year less than 30 the member has at retirement.

C. High three: High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Ron
what do the numbers 4637; 4734; and 4940 signify? My last three base pay years.

To get "high three" you really have to go month-by-month. Over the course of three years, you will have gotten a raise every 12 months, a raise for every two years of service, and a raise for any promotions. For example, mine include six different amounts that ranged from one month to 12 months each.
Thanks, this is really mind-blowing!

Matt Jones said, "To get "high three" you really have to go month-by-month. Over the course of three years, you will have gotten a raise every 12 months, a raise for every two years of service, and a raise for any promotions. For example, mine include six different amounts that ranged from one month to 12 months each. "

For CH 61 retirees who are receiving the DoD disability percentage of base pay (it would be 75% in this case), the high-three can also be determined by
Gross retired pay divided by the Dod disability percentage. In other words, if a person's gross retirement pay is 2816 having a !00% DoD rating, the 2816 is 75% of an unknown number or "X". 2816 / 0.75 = is "X" (high three via DoD percentage in this example)

2816 provided by retiree divided by 0.75 = 3754.66 high three. [PROOF: 3754.66 X 0.75 = ~2816]

This does not come close to the figures of the previously mysterious numbers of 4637; 4734; and 4940.

I would be happy to resume the estimate once an accurate high three is provided. This case will involve a REDUX computation which makes it even more complex.

Gross retired pay shown on a DFAS RAS is the amount before taxes and other deductions are made. It is in the upper left of the DFAS RAS, page one.

A final thought, if the retiree chose the longevity retirement (which uses REDUX) instead of the higher amount @ 75% for DoD disability, I suppose the 2816 could be that amount. This is pure speculation.

Ron

Hello Blackhawk,

I will make one attempt at this using the information available. Your case involves the REDUX program

A. " the numbers 4637; 4734; and 4940 signify? My last three base pay years and my pay grade was E-7the last three years"
The average of those numbers is: 4770 This one-time estimate uses 4770 as the high three average.

B. Other info provided:
--Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $28160.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940. 55% of retirement due to Redux. [4770 is used as high three average]

--DOD Disability Retirement Percentage= 100% which would be 75%

-- Active duty Calculation= 24 years

--VA rating= 100% $3545.67 Veteran, Spouse and 2 children under 18

--Approved CRSC 90%
------------------------
Estimate:
  1. 4770 high three x 75% DoD retirement = ~3578 retired pay @75% DoD
  2. 3578 retired pay offset by ~3546 VA = 32 residual (left over) retired pay
  3. Redux multiplier is same as High-36 with reduction of one percentage point for each year short of 30 years of service.
  4. 24 years active duty x 2.5%= 60% 30 yrs - 24= 6 yrs (and percentage points for reduction) 60% - 6 = 54% multiplier
  5. 4779 hi-3 x 0.54 = ~2581 longevity portion of retirement
  6. Approved CRSC @ 90% spouse & 2 child u/18 = 2,098.62 + 76 = 2174.62 CRSC
  7. Item 6 amount is less than amount at item 5 = 2174.62 CRSC rate
  8. 2174.62 - 32 residual retired pay = 2142.62 CRSC payable during data provided by the retiree or otherwise available.
Ron

Hello Blackhawk,

I will make one attempt at this using the information available. Your case involves the REDUX program

A. " the numbers 4637; 4734; and 4940 signify? My last three base pay years and my pay grade was E-7the last three years"
The average of those numbers is: 4770 This one-time estimate uses 4770 as the high three average.

B. Other info provided:
--Gross retired pay shown on DFAS = $28160.00 HIGH 3- 4637, 4734, and 4940. 55% of retirement due to Redux. [4770 is used as high three average]

--DOD Disability Retirement Percentage= 100% which would be 75%

-- Active duty Calculation= 24 years

--VA rating= 100% $3545.67 Veteran, Spouse and 2 children under 18

--Approved CRSC 90%
------------------------
Estimate:
  1. 4770 high three x 75% DoD retirement = ~3578 retired pay @75% DoD
  2. 3578 retired pay offset by ~3546 VA = 32 residual (left over) retired pay
  3. Redux multiplier is same as High-36 with reduction of one percentage point for each year short of 30 years of service.
  4. 24 years active duty x 2.5%= 60% 30 yrs - 24= 6 yrs (and percentage points for reduction) 60% - 6 = 54% multiplier
  5. 4779 hi-3 x 0.54 = ~2581 longevity portion of retirement
  6. Approved CRSC @ 90% spouse & 2 child u/18 = 2,098.62 + 76 = 2174.62 CRSC
  7. Item 6 amount is less than amount at item 5 = 2174.62 CRSC rate
  8. 2174.62 - 32 residual retired pay = 2142.62 CRSC payable during data provided by the retiree or otherwise available.
Ron
Thank you so much Ron, but it seems as though I will be losing income.

Often when one receives VA compensation, some or all of the waived retired is not replaced or restored via CRSC or CRDP.

Furthermore, the CRSC for those who received REDUX replaces waived retired pay not to exceed the REDUX computation for longevity portion of retired pay.

The estimate provided and the background material, some of which had to be backed into, were based on the info available. In order to determine the amount of CRSC, I had to determine the amount of DoD retired pay you receive (one of the reasons for the request for Gross Pay from RAS). Any number of factors could cause an error. Those factors include
--incorrect rates
--error in active duty time
--wrong high-three
--incorrect VA rate
--wrong CRSC rate
These are just examples and are not necessarily applicable to your case. I will give one example of an ever-changing case I saw on another board a few years ago. I ended up dong ten estimates for the same person/case one evening. Some of his changes: number of active duty years and months; high-three; CRSC rate approved; number of dependents for VA comp; VA comp percentage, etc. I enjoy helping others, but...ten changes was just a bridge too far.

I would not be surprised if DFAS came up with different figures and a different CRSC amount. One reason/example: I never received a precise and realistic high-three number.
The gross retired pay did not correlate to other info provided as well. Yes, it is a confusing and complex operation, especially when using REDUX.

I did the best I could with the info made available. Would I bet $5 that the estimate is precise? No, but it should give you a general idea of what you will receive IF the info you provided is even close to the figures needed.

If you do not agree with the computations of DFAS once you begin receiving CRSC, you can request an audit and further explanation by sending your signed request to:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Ron

Often when one receives VA compensation, some or all of the waived retired is not replaced or restored via CRSC or CRDP.

Furthermore, the CRSC for those who received REDUX replaces waived retired pay not to exceed the REDUX computation for longevity portion of retired pay.

The estimate provided and the background material, some of which had to be backed into, were based on the info available. In order to determine the amount of CRSC, I had to determine the amount of DoD retired pay you receive (one of the reasons for the request for Gross Pay from RAS). Any number of factors could cause an error. Those factors include
--incorrect rates
--wrong high-three
--incorrect VA rate
--wrong CRSC rate
These are just examples and are not necessarily applicable to your case. I will give one example of an ever-changing case I saw on another board a few years ago. I ended up dong ten estimates for the same person/case one evening. Some of his changes: number of active duty years and months; high-three; CRSC rate approved; number of dependents for VA comp; VA comp percentage, etc. I enjoy helping others, but...ten changes was just a bridge too far.

I would not be surprised if DFAS came up with different figures and a different CRSC amount. One reason/example: I never received a precise and realistic high-three number.
The gross retired pay did not correlate to other info provided as well. Yes, it is a confusing and complex operation, especially when using REDUX.

I did the best I could with the info made available. Would I bet $5 that the estimate is precise? No, but it should give you a general idea of what you will receive IF the info you provided is even close to the figures needed.

If you do not agree with the computations of DFAS once you begin receiving CRSC, you can request an audit and further explanation by sending your signed request to:
8899 E 56th Street

Ron

--incorrect rates
--wrong high-three
--incorrect VA rate
--wrong CRSC rate

8899 E 56th Street

Ron
Thanks Ron, you were really close I just got off the phone with DFAS and they said I would get 2174 monthly CRSC. Which I would be losing about 400 a month, she mentioned I would be receiving a letter and I could accept or decline in writing, and mail it back. .

--incorrect rates
--wrong high-three
--incorrect VA rate
--wrong CRSC rate

8899 E 56th Street

Ron
Can you decline if it's not beneficial to the service member?

Blackhawk60,

I believe you are receiving CRDP, which restores waived retired pay with certain limitations. CRDP was not mentioned in your material, although I should have caught it due to your VA percentage and number of years service. The amount of CRDP is shown on page two of the DFAS RAS and it is included in the gross retired pay shown on page one of the RAS.

In all cases where a CH 61 retiree receives VA compensation (in your case ~3546 VA), they must waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

You mentioned you have Active duty Calculation= 24 years. That coupled with a VA rating of 50% or more indicates you are eligible for CRDP and in retrospect, probably are already receiving it. The computation of CRDP for a REDUX retiree uses the REDUX formula, just as it is part of the computation for CRSC. The approved CRSC rate @ 90% is also a factor.

I assume you recently received the CRSC approval and have not yet received a letter from DFAS telling you which is considered the more advantageous to you. The DFAS letter will show how much CRDP you receive vs. the amount of CRSC you might choose. The DFAS will automatically begin paying the higher rate. If you disagree with the amount (the higher), you can reply to the address provided by DFAS and request it be changed to the option that pays less month.

I anticipate the calculation by DFAS will be different from what I have computed, since much of what has been done here was based on inferences and imprecise data (it is a complex issue).

In answer to your question, you can decline CRSC if you prefer CRDP, regardless of your reason.

Good luck,
Ron