please help

simawo

Registered Member
i am a medic in the millitary. i was recommended to meb for nocturnal seizue. i am ETSing in march and was accepted to civilian masters in physician assistant school. i am really comfused. i dont want to go to the board because i might miss my resume date (may 23 2018) for school. i also dont want to miss out on any benefit. my question is will i be medically discharged or retired. if i go through meb can i attend school fulltime (no online option and strict schedule).

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
i am a medic in the millitary. i was recommended to meb for nocturnal seizue. i am ETSing in march and was accepted to civilian masters in physician assistant school. i am really comfused. i dont want to go to the board because i might miss my resume date (may 23 2018) for school. i also dont want to miss out on any benefit. my question is will i be medically discharged or retired. if i go through meb can i attend school fulltime (no online option and strict schedule).
Need more information about your seizures and your service to provide meaningful input.

How frequent are your seizures. Are they only nocturnal? What is your diagnosis? As far as service data, grade and years of service?
As far as ability to attend school during MEB/PEB process, strictly speaking, probably not. However, if your command informally allows it, it can happen. I have seen really weird situations (like, members allowed to depart their duty station and phone in once a week or month for a period of several years. This is not kosher under the regulations, but, like I wrote, weird things sometimes happen.). I would not count on it, but you could talk with your command and your PEBLO and see what options they give you. (I would start with your command).

simawo

Registered Member
i have 4 years of service in the army(E4). i am diagnosed with epilepsy and all my seizures are nocturnal. it is stable but i had two seizures last month because i forgot to take my meds.

simawo

Registered Member
Need more information about your seizures and your service to provide meaningful input.

How frequent are your seizures. Are they only nocturnal? What is your diagnosis? As far as service data, grade and years of service?
As far as ability to attend school during MEB/PEB process, strictly speaking, probably not. However, if your command informally allows it, it can happen. I have seen really weird situations (like, members allowed to depart their duty station and phone in once a week or month for a period of several years. This is not kosher under the regulations, but, like I wrote, weird things sometimes happen.). I would not count on it, but you could talk with your command and your PEBLO and see what options they give you. (I would start with your command).
i have 4 years of service in the army(E4). i am diagnosed with epilepsy and all my seizures are nocturnal. it is stable but i had two seizures last month because i forgot to take my meds.

bentley dog

Registered Member
My son was in Afganistan 7 years ago and developed grand mal seizures, the cause was determined as stress, dehydration, etc. His seizures were few, maybe two or three a year, but this past 6 months he has had one every month. He is a first sargeant and is slated to go to Syria in Feb. His neurologist told him he will be reviewed by MEB /PEB and his physician recommended him for medical transition unit for a year then medical retirement. He hasn't heard anything - this was about 60 days ago..... He recently was started on new anti seizure med which is causing depression and isolation, some talk of suicide. He thinks his medical review was stopped because they dont have a replacement for him. Can this be true? What are his chances of review before deployment? I am very worried about his safety and the safety of his command.

Tech

Registered Member
My son was in Afganistan 7 years ago and developed grand mal seizures, the cause was determined as stress, dehydration, etc. His seizures were few, maybe two or three a year, but this past 6 months he has had one every month. He is a first sargeant and is slated to go to Syria in Feb. His neurologist told him he will be reviewed by MEB /PEB and his physician recommended him for medical transition unit for a year then medical retirement. He hasn't heard anything - this was about 60 days ago..... He recently was started on new anti seizure med which is causing depression and isolation, some talk of suicide. He thinks his medical review was stopped because they dont have a replacement for him. Can this be true? What are his chances of review before deployment? I am very worried about his safety and the safety of his command.
I'm so sorry to hear about your son but if his neurologist has recommended IDES/MEB for his medical condition then his primary care provider has to submit a P3 profile on his behalf. Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) program, like his physician recommended, can still be done if your son prefers it to MEB, however, the paper for WTU will be set in motion by his chain of command. It is not possible for his medical review to be stopped because he does not have a replacement yet. First step will be for your son to find out which program he has been referred to whether it is MEB or WTU. If it is the former, he has to follow-up with his healthcare provider to make sure that a P3 has been generated and submitted on his behalf, and if it is the latter, he has to follow up with his chain of command ASAP to ensure that his WTU packet has been sent up for review before they leave for Syria in Feb. Meanwhile, ensure that he is getting the behavioral and psychological services he needs at this point considering recent history of depression, isolation and suicidal ideations. I do wish him all the best.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@simawo

Enlisted can waive PEB. But then you may lose DoD benefits. You will not lose VA benefits.

For many medical retirees at the bottom end of the pay scale, the only substantial benefit of DoD retirement is TriCare. It comes down to a choice. One that only you can make.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">