Possible MEB after 20 - how does it affect my retirement?

ArtexVet79

Registered Member
Hi, My PCM recently told me that I might go through an MEB due to PT waivers because of an injury. I have been and am currently going to physical therapy for this issue but doesn't seem to be working however I'm still trying. I also have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine.

I just hit 20 years service not too long ago. When my PCM told me I may go to MEB, I informed my leadership and now I'm hearing a bunch of different things on what I should do, watch out for this and that, horror stories of people at or past 20 years service that got screwed out of a retirement check from the military and another from the VA.

To hear all these horror stories at a time like this (going through horrible divorce, being treated for anxiety and depression) is overwhelming and now I have something new to add to the list of things to worry about.

Can anyone point me in right direction as to what I need to do or who I need to talk to, anything, any advice, any stories, anything is appreciated, thank you.

Hi, My PCM recently told me that I might go through an MEB due to PT waivers because of an injury. I have been and am currently going to physical therapy for this issue but doesn't seem to be working however I'm still trying. I also have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine.

I just hit 20 years service not too long ago. When my PCM told me I may go to MEB, I informed my leadership and now I'm hearing a bunch of different things on what I should do, watch out for this and that, horror stories of people at or past 20 years service that got screwed out of a retirement check from the military and another from the VA.

To hear all these horror stories at a time like this (going through horrible divorce, being treated for anxiety and depression) is overwhelming and now I have something new to add to the list of things to worry about.

Can anyone point me in right direction as to what I need to do or who I need to talk to, anything, any advice, any stories, anything is appreciated, thank you.
I'm AD AF at 20 years. You wont be screwed out of a retirement check. It's really the opposite. Since you past 20 years, you are eligible for concurrent receipt. If you are rated higher than 50% by the VA you will get the full amount of your retirement plus the VA money. In most cases of people getting medical retirement before 20 years, your military retirement pay is "offset" by the VA money. That means that your military pay is deducted the amount the VA gives, and the VA money pays you back but at a tax free rate.

Sounds you got a lot of misinformation, but this forum is a great place for answers and support from people going through or have gone through the process

I appreciate your reply, much thanks. I knew all these different stories I was hearing needed to be investigated. Made an appointment with a VA representative (mil retiree) and he said same thing.