Post PDBR: Retirement Orders

PB&A

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

A little bit of background for those who haven't read my previous posts. I recieved a favorable decision letter dated 4 Dec 15 from the Air Force that I was granted retirement. The letter directed me to do the SBP brief and told me I would recieve orders, ECT. I immediately started trying to get my SBP briefing done as I was told that had to be done first. After requesting the brief every week and told "I'm too busy" I finally filed an IG compliant for that office and recieved the brief at the beggining of March. (I tried multiple routes before the IG complaint and then was told the only reason I got the brief was due to the IG complaint by the briefer) I thought that was the end of the issues.... but no.

I waited several weeks to give the SBP time to process as I was told that paperwork would be sent over to the section responsible for doing my orders and to DFAS. I started following up this week and found out no one recieved this paperwork after I completed it. I sent it myself to the offices but the Air Force is saying they must recieve it from the PDBR. The PDBR says they sent it once and won't do it again. I'm stuck in a loop with what seems like no way out.

Has anyone had an issue with the PDBR sending a "Directive" to their service? I'm being told by the AF that is what is needed. They said the letter I recieved is not the directive.

Any advice is appreciated as I have no idea what to do now.

Okay so now I have more information... It is just my luck that I receive good information right after I post :)

I received an e-mail from the PDBR back that said documents were just sent from DC to the Air Force this week. This is seperate documents from the initial ones sent in December. They stated it has two offices to go to before orders can be cut which is about 60 days. I'm relieved to have an answer now.

I wish there was somewhere that we could see the process. I thought after I recieved the letter from the AF that the PDBR paperwork was completed (and that is what I was told by someone at PDBR 3 times). But anyway I am happy to have an answer and know whats going on!

Good luck everyone with this process as it can be a rollercoaster to say the least.

Okay so now I have more information... It is just my luck that I receive good information right after I post :)

I received an e-mail from the PDBR back that said documents were just sent from DC to the Air Force this week. This is seperate documents from the initial ones sent in December. They stated it has two offices to go to before orders can be cut which is about 60 days. I'm relieved to have an answer now.

I wish there was somewhere that we could see the process. I thought after I recieved the letter from the AF that the PDBR paperwork was completed (and that is what I was told by someone at PDBR 3 times). But anyway I am happy to have an answer and know whats going on!

Good luck everyone with this process as it can be a rollercoaster to say the least.

I know this is an old post, but wanted to know if you could share your timeline with me on how long your post PDBR process took for the Air Force? There are a few of us on here now in the same situation?

Some things to consider and expect.

1st after you receive your orders...ID cards. that was simple and easy. 2nd pick out insurance plan you want. But be aware...If you choose one with a premium you have to pay it back to your discharge/retirement date. the same with Survivor benefits. so really think about this.

Also, if you live close to a base/post/station...DO NOT ask them about your DFAS paperwork....When my husband was at retirement services they tried to take his papers and tell him they would mail them, DFAS on post tried to have him mail them to a different address.. Clearly everyone is a helper now. lol just follow instructions from Mr. Al (Army) it will only cost you a longer wait if you deviate from the plan...We did find out you do not have to pay back the V.A. just your severance to whatever branch you left. DFAS said it can take any where from 30 days to 6 months. Not sure if they have a section just for these cases or what. That is all the info I have at this time.

Question??? Does anyone have information on who or where to contact regarding reimbursement for civilian insurance? We've gathered all our paid out premiums and deductibles and payments but want to make sure we are sending it to the correct office.

Hello everyone. I will not take to much of your guys time. I just have a couple of questions. I received my letter from the PDBR this past week in favor or disability retirement. I am already receiving compensation fro the va. Unemployable so i already receiving the the max benefits as being 100 percent. Will this retirement effect my va benefits? I have been out of the military since 2005 will they go back and pay back pay from then? Just to let everyone know i have only been unemployable for a year or so. Will i lose some of my va disability or is this two separate payments? And how long after receiving favorable paper work did you all actually start receiving money if any? Thanks

Hello everyone. I will not take to much of your guys time. I just have a couple of questions. I received my letter from the PDBR this past week in favor or disability retirement. I am already receiving compensation fro the va. Unemployable so i already receiving the the max benefits as being 100 percent. Will this retirement effect my va benefits? I have been out of the military since 2005 will they go back and pay back pay from then? Just to let everyone know i have only been unemployable for a year or so. Will i lose some of my va disability or is this two separate payments? And how long after receiving favorable paper work did you all actually start receiving money if any? Thanks

Hello and congrats on your retirement!

In regards to your question, you will receive the higher payment of the two. If you are 100% VA then you will continue to receive that and not get the mil retirement pay. You will get retirement benefits now. i.e ID cards/base privlages and Tricare. If you were in 20+ years you can receive "concurrent receipt" which is possible to receive both VA and mil retired pay, but not to familiar with it as it does not apply to me. Depends on what branch you were in will play a factor in how long this process will take.

Hello and congrats on your retirement!

In regards to your question, you will receive the higher payment of the two. If you are 100% VA then you will continue to receive that and not get the mil retirement pay. You will get retirement benefits now. i.e ID cards/base privlages and Tricare. If you were in 20+ years you can receive "concurrent receipt" which is possible to receive both VA and mil retired pay, but not to familiar with it as it does not apply to me. Depends on what branch you were in will play a factor in how long this process will take.

I was only in for 7 years but i was medically discharged and at the the time i was not rated correctly. Now that i will be considered retired im assuming that they will go back and pay me for all those years that i was not getting paid 100 percent from the va. which is all the way back to 05. Since being unemployable and being paid at 100% (actually 70) i already get all the benefits except the tri care which my family gets champ va. But a blue id card would be nice.

I was only in for 7 years but i was medically discharged and at the the time i was not rated correctly. Now that i will be considered retired im assuming that they will go back and pay me for all those years that i was not getting paid 100 percent from the va. which is all the way back to 05. Since being unemployable and being paid at 100% (actually 70) i already get all the benefits except the tri care which my family gets champ va. But a blue id card would be nice.

I was in 7 years myself and not rated correctly either. In my situation, I was rated 10% by mil in 2004, VA concurred and left my rating at 10%. My mil rating changed to 30% and will get retired pay and back pay now, because it is higher then my VA disability. I quote the Air Force Personnel Center email I received last week after sending in my DD2656, " You will get the higher of the two payments (Mil retirement pay or VA disability pay) you will not choose. You can take up your VA disability rating with the VA".

Back pay will be determined on if your new mil rating is more then what the VA has been paying you. DFAS will figure this out and notify you what you will receive or continue to receive. There are some different factors as well if your rating was is combat related.

I was in 7 years myself and not rated correctly either. In my situation, I was rated 10% by mil in 2004, VA concurred and left my rating at 10%. My mil rating changed to 30% and will get retired pay and back pay now, because it is higher then my VA disability. I quote the Air Force Personnel Center email I received last week after sending in my DD2656, " You will get the higher of the two payments (Mil retirement pay or VA disability pay) you will not choose. You can take up your VA disability rating with the VA".

Back pay will be determined on if your new mil rating is more then what the VA has been paying you. DFAS will figure this out and notify you what you will receive or continue to receive. There are some different factors as well if your rating was is combat related.

No mine was not combat related. Mine is asthma plus back condition.

Well i just called the Army Physical Disability Agency. They have cut my order and are sending me an information packet in the mail. But the kicker is they are not going to mail it out until next week. There is no telling how long its been sitting in their office. It took him about 5 minutes to find it because its sitting in a stack of packets that have been completed. So i should get it about 2 weeks. Hurry Up And Wait. Isn't that the old saying.

Well just called the Army Physical Disabiity Agency again to see about my orders. First call was on August 29th orders were complete and sitting in a stack of orders waiting to be mailed. Which he told me that they were going to be mailed the begining of the following week of course August 29 was a Wednesday (plenty of time go send them to the mail room). Called back today oh it was mailed out the 6th or the 7th. here it is the 18th of September......Hmmmmmmmmm....... Lets Hurry Up And Wait.

Interesting. AF told me same thing. They stated orders were mailed to my residence on Aug. 30th. Still have not seen them. Emailed them back last Monday and and they stated I need to wait two more weeks!

Still nothing received via USPS as of today.

The Air Force states in the letters they send us, "Orders and new DD-214 will be forwarded to DFAS". I called last week and DFAS hadn't received anything. I took that as a hint and sent my info to DFAS on my own.

The Air Force states in the letters they send us, "Orders and new DD-214 will be forwarded to DFAS". I called last week and DFAS hadn't received anything. I took that as a hint and sent my info to DFAS on my own.

The same here. I do not know what mailing system they are using clearly its not usps. Here it is the 27th of Sept and mine was supposdly mailed out on the 6th or 7th of this month then it should have been here by now. But hay who knows with the military and the government.

The same here. I do not know what mailing system they are using clearly its not usps. Here it is the 27th of Sept and mine was supposdly mailed out on the 6th or 7th of this month then it should have been here by now. But hay who knows with the military and the government.

Did you check MilConnect? The Air Force posted all of my docs on there. Check under the DPRIS sections.

Did you check MilConnect? The Air Force posted all of my docs on there. Check under the DPRIS sections.[/QUOTE
The only thing i have seen under there was my DD215 Correcting my DD214. That was about a week ago i will request them again and i will let you know

Not sure how much different the Army is, make sure when selecting the docs, you select all in the Service Computation Group. When I did this my orders came up. I know when I selected the individual box for dis/sep/retirement orders, mine did not show up for some reason.