Post PDBR...Tricare Reimbursment

octoberfest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was medically discharged in 2004 and was retired after a PDBR in 2012. What I've learned is that it seems like after the process you are entitled to different things but nobody out there really knows the answers. It's almost as if they feel "you should just be happy that you were retired".

Tricare is supposed to reimburse you for all medical expenses paid out of pocket from the time you were discharged until the date your PDBR decision was made. Well as I'm sure most of us will agree 8 years is pretty tough to find all those medical expenses, especially when you're have your brains scrambled a few times. The IRS, a federal organization, considers health insurance premiums a medical expense. So why is it that Tricare does not understand that the premiums we were paying out of pocket should be reimbursed. I've paid over $28,000 in health insurance premiums since I was medically discharged in 2004. If I had Tricare, as I should have, I would have not paid a dime of that. My Tircare coverage date according to DEERS is May 11, 2004. I contacted Tricare yesterday and they told me to talk to DEERs, I talked to Deers and they transferred me back to Tricare. Tricare claims then transferred me to enrollment and enrollment transferred me back to claims who then told me I needed to contact DHA (Defense Health Agency).

I was medically discharged in 2004 and was retired after a PDBR in 2012. What I've learned is that it seems like after the process you are entitled to different things but nobody out there really knows the answers. It's almost as if they feel "you should just be happy that you were retired".

Tricare is supposed to reimburse you for all medical expenses paid out of pocket from the time you were discharged until the date your PDBR decision was made. Well as I'm sure most of us will agree 8 years is pretty tough to find all those medical expenses, especially when you're have your brains scrambled a few times. The IRS, a federal organization, considers health insurance premiums a medical expense. So why is it that Tricare does not understand that the premiums we were paying out of pocket should be reimbursed. I've paid over $28,000 in health insurance premiums since I was medically discharged in 2004. If I had Tricare, as I should have, I would have not paid a dime of that. My Tircare coverage date according to DEERS is May 11, 2004. I contacted Tricare yesterday and they told me to talk to DEERs, I talked to Deers and they transferred me back to Tricare. Tricare claims then transferred me to enrollment and enrollment transferred me back to claims who then told me I needed to contact DHA (Defense Health Agency).

Not saying it's right but since Tricare also has premiums for retirees they could be saying you would of been paying premiums either way. have you tried to get back the difference in what you did pay from premiums versus what you would of paid to Tricare for premiums? I can tell you that I have had problems in the past with the 1800 tricare operators not know policy and procedure, you might push your concerns further up the tricare chain of command.

Hello. This is a major issue with retroactive retirement. I'd like to start working on this issue by communicating with senators/petitions. Would you be willing to write a little about your experience? I'm hoping maybe we can get them to change the law, where they at least have to reimburse the difference between tricare premium and premiums paid by the soldier. Thanks.