"Preparation for Decision" actual timeframe?

I don't think I would believe what they told me because of Lownslowneon timeline. I was comparing his with your and I'm think you should be closer to mid May just to get to Pending Decision Approval Stage. Who know til it is finally over. I really appreciate you posting as well to give more data. Now don't freak because of what I think because I'm guessing and don't really understand this yet and of course no 2 are alike. Lownslowneon feels he has a big case of 12 issues, mine is 27 and I'm thinking I might be awhile.

Yeah, it could be mid-May, it could be mid-December. At least I have some sort of target to look forward to for now. I will lie to myself for now and say it should be mid-May. That's how I made it through the excruciatingly long PEB process, by lying to myself that a decision was 'just around the corner'.

Just a quick comment. This thread is great because it shares various members experiences with the time lines. I think this is the best way for people to get a "feel" of the potential time lines. At the same time, everyone has to recognize that the various VA regional offices and PEBs run on different schedules, so no one should count on the time lines reported in making major decisions. They are "rough" estimates that may be useful in making decisions, but should not be counted on as what will happen in their case.

Still waiting for my packet in the mail... I'm guessing it was mailed from South Carolina on Thursday... so hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday I should have it.

I'm scared/nervous/excited...

I want it to be a good rating that I won't have to appeal...

My understanding is if your rated 50% (just grabbed a number) you will start receiving that amount while your still in the appeal process. Anything is better than nothing and one would think by giving the best result first would cut down on appeals. That might be wishful think because I could still see people thinking they deserve more.

Can we get a drum roll for John..............................................................................:D

Lol I've known people in IDES in my unit who started 6+months after my initial MEB and were rated, retired and done in a few months before mine even finished. I definately believe they're probably trying to catch up on IDES first because their lagging really far behind on it and they can lag regular cases whereas the DoD direct IDES ones are under alot of pressure from congress, DoD and the branches.

I was thinking the same thing but I don't know. I seen a person who retired and gave the VA his stuff about 9 months ago, not BDD or quickstart. He got his VA in 6 months and he had a lot of issues as well. When I read that they are catching up and it takes 6 weeks to do 1 month of work, how is that catching up? I know that this is what I've read and don't have first hand info so maybe this is wrong I hope. I'm thinking I need to find someone at the VA hospital who might be able to explain this to me.

I filed my claim at the Winston Salem VA on 18 Jan 11 and it stayed in the "gathering of evidence phase" until November, preparation for decision until December, then switched BACK to "gathering of evidence" until March. It is now at "Pending decision approval" as of Monday. My case is not typical though as I have multiple disqualifying conditions.

Based on this, I guess that the preparation for decision phase takes about 4 weeks. I'm hoping the decision approval is fast (less than 3 or 4 weeks). If it stays true to things I've heard and read, I should get my rating by mid-July..... 18 months of back-pay will be nice. I can catch up on bills and debt.

I filed my claim at the Winston Salem VA on 18 Jan 11 and it stayed in the "gathering of evidence phase" until November, preparation for decision until December, then switched BACK to "gathering of evidence" until March. It is now at "Pending decision approval" as of Monday. My case is not typical though as I have multiple disqualifying conditions.

Based on this, I guess that the preparation for decision phase takes about 4 weeks. I'm hoping the decision approval is fast (less than 3 or 4 weeks). If it stays true to things I've heard and read, I should get my rating by mid-July..... 18 months of back-pay will be nice. I can catch up on bills and debt.
Mine has been in the "preparation for decision" phase since november 16. I have made three inquiries as to why its taking so long and they've stopped answering so who knows how long this will take. Oh yeah mine is in winston salem and I filed in December of 2010.

My stuff went to Winston Salem VA as well.

I was told by the DAV NOT to go to my Congressman because it would be pulled, sent, and returned to the bottom of the pile. I was only trying to get some info to help others and didn't want to draw attention to myself. I called the VA and they said my had not moved and they haven't even looked at it. I filed under the Quick Start on Dec 6th 2011. The VA marks it as beginning as Dec 29th 2011, the day after I left AD. I assume they have all that they need because I had my physical with VA and they received it on the 6th of Jan 2012. The VA insisted I should contact my congressman and stated the DAV was wrong. I contact my Congressman the day after and he said he would get back with me in one month. He also stated that they will periodically watch to asee how it is progressing. I again pushed to have this whole process addressed and told them I would be willing to help with anything. If you look at the VA monday morning reports, they keep falling farther and farther behind. The VA stated it really means nothing, I think they are lying.

I was given 50% for MH, 40% for my back, 10% each for my hip, knee, and the vertigo issue from the DoD. I submitted to the VA approximately 27 items. I'm thinking they will never get to my case when I read about others.

how do you find out your ratings? I would love to know what mine are ahead of time.

I have been waiting since July 2011 for my claim of Crohn's disease. Very well documented and only 1 condition. I had to quit my job at FedEx because of my hospitalizations, etc. It's a nightmare. My last claim for degenerative arthritis was completely denied as well. Good luck to everyone!

If you were in the Legacy program, not IDES, you would get your DoD rating. You are then pushed to the curb to await the VA which they insist is taking 10 months. They told me that mine will probably be longer, oh joy.

That was what I told the Congressman, we are put out and basically have to do the best we can no matter what and no telling for how long. I can't even get help from the VA until I get a finding back. I hate to think of people who are worse off then me and what they have to do. Eventhough my mother stated she would help us if needed; I have learned she won't be able to. I'm trying to come up with a plan C now.

I know exactly what you are going through... Good luck with a Plan C... My plan D is working out moderately well... I am supporting my family with the Post 9/11 GI Bill and what little I make at a retail job. My journey started in 2009 when I got assigned to the Warrior Transition Battalion.
My plan A was to go back Active Duty (I was deployed NG at the time) after I was found fit for duty, when I told the Army this in my life-planning counselings, they found me not fit for duty and began the MEB process. Plan B was to take the severance package they told me I would get to buy a cheap foreclosed home and use my VA disability to pay bills while I finished college..... well then they found me fit for duty, returned me to my unit with no limitations or restrictions so I tried to go active duty. MEPS permanently DQ'd me for my medical conditions which the Army said I was good to go on & the NG forced me out (couldn't even re-up in the guard).

I would like to go back to college but not sure I can do it. I wasted about $1000 before I got retired trying to get myself together, failed both times. I finally got the AF to fix my post 911 GI Bill about 3 weeks ago but they gave my wife 2 months and my son 34 months. I was told before I got out that I needed to keep 1 month if I changed my mind and decided to use it. They goofed and I need to check on that. My wife said she would be willing to go to college so we could use the extra money from that. That is my plan C but I don't like it. I need to somehow pull myself back together and get on with life, that would be the best.

Mine went to prep for decision 4/24 and changed to closed 5/16. Benefit letter in letter generator.