Prinzmetal or variant Angina

Mykbcdfm

Registered Member
I have been diagnosed with prinzmetal angina, also called variant angina. I have been told that I am facing a mandatory med board. The doctor said that I can pretty much count on being med boarded out. I was wondering what percentage they would give me, I can't hardly find anything on this with it being so rare.

Additional info is that I am at 6 years with 2 years prior service. I also broke my back a few years ago, 3 compression fractures.

I Also have been diagnosed with the same thing. I should be starting my board on the 11th of march. I to was wondering what I should be expecting in terms of percentage. I have 3 kids so I'm praying its 30% so I can keep my insurance.

any help would be appreciated.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theheart.html

Gives a good breakdown of how they rate the heart. Your condition is obviously not listed so they have to come up with an equivalent, but really the code won't matter they should rate off the effects up top. I don't think they can do a METs test, since the condition exists at rest instead of at exertion like most heart things. I am awful curious. Has anyone noted how well your heart works during the events?

From the sounds of things, many cases can be controlled with meds. I don't know your branch, for Army says 120 day trial to see if you can perform once they try things, so I would assume meds aren't enough in your examples. If meds are controlling it, not sure why it would be an auto MEB.

It would be only 10% if controlled with medication, 30% as a min if uncontrolled.

As an update, I was also diagnosed with recurring arrhythmia tachycardia and syncope resulting from that. I have fainted several times to include once at the TMC.

As for prinzmetal, it does respond to meds, but it is not eliminated by meds. V-tach is even more serious, I can't imagine the Army would keep someone who is on heart medication, especially anti-arrhythmic. I am not an expert, I only know what my doctor has said.

Mine isn't eliminated by meds either, it responds with less frequent episodes but with the same amount of pain, I'm a Marine and on my limdu paper work all that is listed is "Chest Pain" they think that it may be a rheumatalogical issue. im still under going evaluation while the board is being processed. Ive done every test short of a heart cath. They cant find the cause. Ive got to many kids to pay for insurance out of pocket so my main goal is to either stay in or get 30%.

Just curious what your outcome was? I have coronary artery vasospasms. For the last year they didn't know why they occurred and meds did not help until I went into Cardiac arrest 2x. I had two previous mild vasospasms before that. In the end I have 40% EF, SICD, had a nerve sympathectomy done (I guess I am the 8th person that is documented to have one done for my vasospasms. I just started the MEB process.