Promotion to E-9 upon medical retirement

Old Top

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all. Question for the masses. I understand USC dictates if someone is on a promotion list and they are retired for medical reasons, they will be promoted to the grade they are on the list for. I am in the NG, and have just started the long MEB/PEB process. My buddy is at the end of his process and is retiring soon. He is a E-8 on the promotion list to 9. He is being told by our state that, because he has not completed the SGM Academy, that he will not be promoted upon retirement.

Does anyone have any reference for this? I can't find any reference in the USC that states a requirement for schooling, and completion of USASMA isn't a requirement for promotion to E-9, but is required to maintain the grade.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I understand USC dictates if someone is on a promotion list and they are retired for medical reasons, they will be promoted to the grade they are on the list for. I am in the NG, and have just started the long MEB/PEB process. My buddy is at the end of his process and is retiring soon. He is a E-8 on the promotion list to 9. He is being told by our state that, because he has not completed the SGM Academy, that he will not be promoted upon retirement.

Does anyone have any reference for this? I can't find any reference in the USC that states a requirement for schooling, and completion of USASMA isn't a requirement for promotion to E-9, but is required to maintain the grade.
I saw the reference just days ago and I think it said the school requirement was waived in those type cases. I’ll look for it and post it here.

Ron
Class 30, USASMA

Old Top

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I saw the reference just days ago and I think it said the school requirement was waived in those type cases. I’ll look for it and post it here.

Ron
Class 30, USASMA

SGM,

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The NCOES requirement is waived.

--------------

Reference: AR 600-8-19

1–20. Promotion of Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System

a. Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System (DES) process who are pending a medical fitness determination (referral to a medical evaluation board under AR 40–400, or physical evaluation board under AR 635–40) remain otherwise eligible for promotion consideration, selection, and pin-on. The issuance of a permanent profile of “3” or “4” alone will not be used as the sole basis for determining PMOS disqualification. No RC Soldier who is in the DES process will lose his or her promotable status solely because a promotion list expires prior to a vacancy for promotion becoming available.

b. Soldiers conditionally promoted to SGM but are unable to meet the condition of their promotion as a result in a finding of unfit by the DES process or State surgeon for Title 32 ARNG personnel per AR 40–501 will not be subject to administrative reduction (provided otherwise qualified to retain promotable status in accordance with this regulation).

c. While in the DES, Soldiers will not be required to maintain their APFT or weapons qualification for the purpose of promotion eligibility or pin-on. For semi-centralized promotion consideration, selection, and pin-on, Soldiers within the DES who are unable to perform an APFT or qualify with a weapon will use their last score until they are medically cleared to take the APFT or qualify with a weapon. Soldiers within the DES due to combat-related operations who failed to qualify with a weapon or failed their last APFT will be granted the minimum qualifying score.

d. While in the DES, Soldiers are not required to meet prescribed service remaining requirements for promotion as provided for in this regulation.

e. Per the provisions of 10 USC 1372, Soldiers on a promotion list who are retired for physical disability (10 USC 1201 or 1204) or who are placed on the temporary disability retired list (TDRL) (10 USC 1202 or 1205) at the time of retirement for disability will be retired for disability at the promotion list grade. The Soldier will be promoted effective the day before placement on the retired list or TDRL regardless of cutoff scores, sequence numbers, or position availability. In all cases, the Soldier must otherwise be eligible for promotion in accordance with paragraph 1–10 (the NCOES requirements in paragraph 1–28 are waived). Forward a copy of RA promotion/retirement orders 10 days prior to the effective date of promotion to the following email address, [email protected] for inclusion into the total Army personnel data base (TAPDB).

f. Per the provisions of 10 USC 1212 [Disability Severance Pay], Soldiers who are on a promotion list at the time of separation for disability with entitlement to disability severance pay will be paid such compensation at the promotion list grade. Further, the Soldier will be promoted effective on the Soldier’s separation date. The NCOES requirements in paragraph 1–28 are waived. For RC Soldiers, such promotions will occur without regard to vacancy. Forward a copy of RA promotion/separation orders 10 days prior to the effective date of promotion to the following email address, [email protected] for inclusion into TAPDB.

g. The guidance at paragraphs 1–20e and f also pertains to all Soldiers who have reached the TIS requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC).

h. Soldiers determined unfit by the DES but approved for continuation on active duty or continuation on active reserve under the provisions of AR 635–40, may be recommended for promotion consideration, selection, and pin-on provided they are otherwise qualified and meet established eligibility criteria.

i. Soldiers pending medical retention decision or medical separation will not be removed from a promotion list until promoted or until after being determined fit for duty and afforded 180 days to retain promotion eligibility, provided they are otherwise qualified and eligible with this regulation.
----
Ron

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Old Top,

Thanks for helping your friend. This comes up regularly. When you in the IDES process the service doesn't want to waste a school slot, so the member doesn't go. As pointed out above the school requirement is waived.

Doc D

Registered Member
Hello all,

I have a question in reference to this discussion. I am active and was selected to attend the USASMA this year. I am being MED boarded and was wondering if I am eligible for promotion to SGM at retirement. My CSM says I’m not promotable b/c I haven’t attended the school, but the way I understand it is I’m promotable upon selection to attend the school. Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks.

Slade

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
See: AR 600–8–19 • 16 May 2019
1–21. Promotion of Soldiers in the Disability Evaluation System , Page 12

Excerpt:

e. Per the provisions of 10 USC 1372, Soldiers on a promotion list who are retired for physical disability (10 USC 1201 or 1204) or who are placed on the temporary disability retired list (TDRL) (10 USC 1202 or 1205) at the time of retirement for disability will be retired for disability at the promotion list grade. The Soldier will be promoted effective the day before placement on the retired list or TDRL regardless of cutoff scores, sequence numbers, or position availability. In all cases, the Soldier must otherwise be eligible for promotion in accordance with paragraph 1–11 (the NCOPDS requirements in paragraph 1–29 are waived). For promotion to SGT–SSG, forward a copy of RA promotion/retirement orders 10 days prior to the effective date of promotion to the following email address, [email protected] for inclusion into the total Army personnel data base (TAPDB).

I assume the "NCOPDS" discussed above is the same as NCOES from my era.

Ron
USASMA Class 30, 1987-Jan 1988

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
AR 600–8–19 • 16 May 2019, 1–29. Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development System requirement for promotion and conditional promotion Development of our NCO corps is an essential element of our institutional success. The policies set forth in this regulation support the accumulation of training, education, and experiences while encouraging lifelong learning in an effort to develop

Note: 1-21 states this requirement is waived for disability retirement.

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Title 10 USC 1372
Thank you; I was curious which law applied.

I searched for the service regulation (Army) because of the requirements for promotion to certain grades (such as attendance at the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy for promotion to E9). I wonderered if an E8 was considered "promotable" if they had not graduated.

AR 600–8–19
1-21 states this requirement is waived for disability retirement. He remarked, "My CSM says I’m not promotable b/c I haven’t attended the school."

Interesting how things have changed. When I attended the USASMA in 1987, the majority of the class were MSGs yet to be selected for SGM/E9.

Excellent call on your part; I seem to remember you might have been promoted on your last AD day IAW Title 10 USC 1372.

Ron

Sunni

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Unfortunately students who attend USASMA nowadays aren’t considered promotable. They are only selected to attend the academy. In order to become promotable they must graduate and has been a requirement for about 10 years now. Things are changing at the academy and the class that graduated in June, Class 69, did not frock everyone to SGM. So a lot of students remained Master Sergeants. I know what the AR says, but if I were you I’d contact the SGM Branch about this one.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member