PTDY! Army

Choram

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey all,
So I have 50 days of leave and I have asked my CoC about PTDY and they have said I am not authorized because I am not PCSing, i have explained to them that i am going through IDES and pleaded with then to at least ask the commander about it so i can add it to my DA31 but the answer is just no. I have no idea how it works, I'm just wondering if anyone jas any insight information about it. I also asked a S1 rep about it and said no only for PCSing SMs

campbellSFC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
AR 600-8-10 covers leaves and passes. Chapter 5 section XVIII Page 38 & 39

5–35. Rules to notify, counsel, and request permissive temporary duty or excess leave together with
separation

a. Transition PTDY is authorized for Soldiers being released from active duty under conditions described in this

paragraph. It is an authorization, not an entitlement.

b. The purpose of transition PTDY is to facilitate transition into civilian life for house and job hunting for Soldiers

being involuntarily separated, retiring from active duty, or separating under the Voluntarily Separation Incentive (VSI)

or SSB program. Soldiers being reassigned due to permanent change of station (PCS) are authorized ten (10) days

PTDY and will continue to comply with guidelines contained in paragraphs 5–31 and 5–32. A normal PCS is defined

as a reassignmet between duty stations for duty (not for transition) at the gaining station. In the context of this

eligibility, PCS does not mean reassignment to a transition center/point for separation.

(1) Permissive temporary duty is a nonchargeable absence and is an option for eligible Soldiers.

(2) The approval authority for transition PTDY is in accordance with paragraph 5–31. Approval authority may be

further delegated to company commanders and other leave approval authorities. Commanders may disapprove or

restrict permissive temporary duty based on mission or operational requirements, for disciplinary reasons, or if a valid

purpose, as described in paragraph d, below, does not exist. For example: If a Soldier does not have a replacement or a

unit mission dictates that the Soldier’s presence is necessary to perform critical tasks.

(3) Commanders must ensure that Soldiers have a need to either relocate or conduct job search activities during the

requested dates of transition PTDY. If neither of these activities are necessary (for example, the Soldier already has

secured a job, or the Soldier will continue to reside in the same residence with no prospect of moving), then transition

PTDY is not appropriate.

c. The following Soldiers are not eligible for any PTDY under any transition program:

(1) Soldiers voluntarily separating as a result of expiration of term of service or expiration of service agreement.

(2) Soldiers transitioning from the Army under conditions other than honorable (for example, with a dishonorable,

bad conduct, or other than honorable (OTH) discharge characterization).

(3) Officers who resign their commission, with the exception of VSI/SSB.

(4) Soldiers with approved voluntary separation under the Voluntary Early Release Program or Enlisted Voluntary

Early Transition program.

d. All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The

following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If

the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of

10 days) transition TDY.

(1) Officers or enlisted Soldiers selected for involuntary separation by Selective Early Release or Retirement Boards.

(2) Officers and enlisted Soldiers with a Mandatory Retirement Date.

(3) Officers identified for separation as a result of Reduction in Force. This includes officers non-selected for

promotion and selected for release from active duty.

38 AR 600–8–10 • 15 February 2006

(4) Officers who are passed over for promotion and must leave ac

Choram

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
AR 600-8-10 covers leaves and passes. Chapter 5 section XVIII Page 38 & 39

5–35. Rules to notify, counsel, and request permissive temporary duty or excess leave together with
separation

a. Transition PTDY is authorized for Soldiers being released from active duty under conditions described in this

paragraph. It is an authorization, not an entitlement.

b. The purpose of transition PTDY is to facilitate transition into civilian life for house and job hunting for Soldiers

being involuntarily separated, retiring from active duty, or separating under the Voluntarily Separation Incentive (VSI)

or SSB program. Soldiers being reassigned due to permanent change of station (PCS) are authorized ten (10) days

PTDY and will continue to comply with guidelines contained in paragraphs 5–31 and 5–32. A normal PCS is defined

as a reassignmet between duty stations for duty (not for transition) at the gaining station. In the context of this

eligibility, PCS does not mean reassignment to a transition center/point for separation.

(1) Permissive temporary duty is a nonchargeable absence and is an option for eligible Soldiers.

(2) The approval authority for transition PTDY is in accordance with paragraph 5–31. Approval authority may be

further delegated to company commanders and other leave approval authorities. Commanders may disapprove or

restrict permissive temporary duty based on mission or operational requirements, for disciplinary reasons, or if a valid

purpose, as described in paragraph d, below, does not exist. For example: If a Soldier does not have a replacement or a

unit mission dictates that the Soldier’s presence is necessary to perform critical tasks.

(3) Commanders must ensure that Soldiers have a need to either relocate or conduct job search activities during the

requested dates of transition PTDY. If neither of these activities are necessary (for example, the Soldier already has

secured a job, or the Soldier will continue to reside in the same residence with no prospect of moving), then transition

PTDY is not appropriate.

c. The following Soldiers are not eligible for any PTDY under any transition program:

(1) Soldiers voluntarily separating as a result of expiration of term of service or expiration of service agreement.

(2) Soldiers transitioning from the Army under conditions other than honorable (for example, with a dishonorable,

bad conduct, or other than honorable (OTH) discharge characterization).

(3) Officers who resign their commission, with the exception of VSI/SSB.

(4) Soldiers with approved voluntary separation under the Voluntary Early Release Program or Enlisted Voluntary

Early Transition program.

d. All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The

following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If

the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of

10 days) transition TDY.

(1) Officers or enlisted Soldiers selected for involuntary separation by Selective Early Release or Retirement Boards.

(2) Officers and enlisted Soldiers with a Mandatory Retirement Date.

(3) Officers identified for separation as a result of Reduction in Force. This includes officers non-selected for

promotion and selected for release from active duty.

38 AR 600–8–10 • 15 February 2006

(4) Officers who are passed over for promotion and must leave ac
Thank you, this should get me a better perspective

Maddog123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Also, the DES regulation AR 635-40 chapter 2-6b(12), you can use PTDY as long as your authorized it, which then you would have to refer to CampbellSFC information.

I have rarely seen a chain of command not authorize it, because everybody knows if your going thru the IDES, the soldier will need a job once out and very possibly might need to move to a lower rental house. Only time I have seen it denied is if the soldier is in trouble or if there is animosity by the COC.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I asked for and received 20 days PTDY, and I’m Army... unless the policy has changed since 2016... you should be authorized PTDY.

Choram

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PLT SGT said I cant so I went to talk to the 1SG and CDR about it and they authorized it. Thanks everyone

Maddog123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
That is great news. Thank you for letting us know. Best of luck in your next adventure in life.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PLT SGT said I cant so I went to talk to the 1SG and CDR about it and they authorized it. Thanks everyone
Good use of the chain of command. Congratulations...

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">