PTDY Before or After?

Brokin1104

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Do I take PTDY after I final out or before I final out? I’m curious as if I would have to take 20 days and then return to base and then start my terminal.

Do I take PTDY after I final out or before I final out? I’m curious as if I would have to take 20 days and then return to base and then start my terminal.
I will be interested in the answers you receive, although they will never apply to me.

My last assignment was in Germany in 1991. I processed for retirement during 48 hours at Ft Jackson, SC and then began 60 + days of transition leave (no PTDY). I never returned to a military installation. Of course, that is different from your situation.

Thoughts: There needs to to an administrative status change between PTDY and leave. I suspect the PTDY will come first, and then you will be on leave through the latter part. Whether you have to return is something I am unfamiliar with, but it seems the two statuses could be in conjunction with one another without you being physically present . That info and $4.00 will get you a nice coffee in my neighborhood ... added: see post number three which addresses this issue.

Ron

From non-federal site:

Transition PTDY may be used in increments (not to exceed days authorized); may be taken in a series of trips in conjunction with transition leave (must have a duty day between transition leave and PTDY); or maybe taken in its entirety in conjunction with transition leave (e.g. Soldier elects to take transition PTDY, with full 20/30 days as one trip; starting transition leave on the next day).

From Army HRC:
Are all Soldiers authorized Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) at transition?

A5:
No. Only active duty Soldiers retiring or involuntarily separating from military service are eligible for transition PTDY. It is not authorized to Soldiers who complete their time in service and ETS and is not authorized to officers resigning from active duty (REFRAD). It is not authorized to Soldiers who choose not to reenlist during their reenlistment window, and are later ineligible for continued service. It is an authorization, not an entitlement. PTDY is not appropriate, and is not authorized, to Soldiers who remain in the same residence and have already found post-military employment. Soldiers must have a need to either relocate or to conduct job search activities during the dates requested for transition PTDY.

Can Transition PTDY be taken in combination with ordinary leave?

A7: Yes, Soldiers taking the entire transition PTDY period as one absence may be granted transition (ordinary) leave without a duty day between the two periods of absence. For example: A Soldier completes final out and then uses transition PTDY as one trip and starts transition leave on the next day. There is no requirement to complete a duty day between the periods of absence, if they occur after final out. However, the Soldier must complete all out-processing and other transition requirements, including final out with Personnel and Finance, before departure on transition PTDY and leave. Passes, including weekend passes, cannot be granted after final out. Soldiers cannot be granted transition PTDY in increments after final out from their permanent duty station.

[This appears to indicate PTDY first with no requirement to return to the home station. RG]

Ron

Usually you final out, take your PTDY then your leave. But I'm not sure that is a policy.

The choice is yours honestly. I’ll give you a couple of examples.

1. My friend who was also MED retired decided to take his 20 days PTDY in conjunction with his transition leave. Meaning he had to final out then take the 20 days consecutively.

2. I was MED retired and decided to take my 20 PTDY Mon-Fri for 4 weeks 5 days a week equaling 20 days. I then went back to out process and final out. Then took my transition leave.

As you can see you have the option of how you take your 20 days. My friend just wanted to over and done with. I really didn’t care. I got more days since they don’t count the weekends when taking your PTDY.

Good luck.

Army says if your PTDY is taken in conjunction with your terminal leave, then no need to return to base.
If you break up your 20 days (4 sets of 5 days like mon-fri) the technically yes, you must check in and out.