PTSD and Federal Jobs

jamesrider22

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wanting to know if having PTSD will effect your chances of being hired for a federal position, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am currently recieving treatment/medication through the VA for it.

It shouldn't come up unless you are requesting reasonable accommodations or a job that requires a polygraph.

It shouldn't come up unless you are requesting reasonable accommodations or a job that requires a polygraph.

Thank you, I had been hired on with the social security administration and had signed a HIPPA release so that the DCSA can also check my medical history. I’m not sure if they do or not. I didn’t list any needs for accommodation, and the security investigation questionnaire that I filled out didn’t ask about my medical history. Just want to make sure!

Don't forget to put in for you Disabled Veteran Leave when you start. It gives you 104 hours to seek medical treatment for your SC disabilities.

And also, if your PTSD is combat related (it's on your 199 if it is) and you were retired from the military, all your service time is creditable for leave/retirement in a federal job. My entire active duty time was credited to my federal job.

Don't forget to put in for you Disabled Veteran Leave when you start. It gives you 104 hours to seek medical treatment for your SC disabilities.

And also, if your PTSD is combat related (it's on your 199 if it is) and you were retired from the military, all your service time is creditable for leave/retirement in a federal job. My entire active duty time was credited to my federal job.

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to buy back your military service time?

No, if its combat related you do not have to pay your military service time back, but you will have to pay a deposit if you plan on retiring.