PTSD TDRL

jhurdt

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just got my ratings 70% DOD 100% VA placed on TDRL. Disqualifying conditions cyclothymic disorder and ptsd.
I want to use voc rehab but I saw some posts saying if you go back to school that could affect future ratings and re-evals.
However, I only want to go to school part time. Two classes a semester. If I take these classes with voc rehab and do well will that jeopardize PDRL?
I am thinking about just waiting until all my ratings are permanent before using education benefits

I am sorry if this question has already been answered. Thanks everyone for their time and help. This forum has really kept me sane through this whole process.

You don't say what your VA ratings by contention are so it is hard to say. If you are 70% just for MH and you do well in college, your 70% should go down.

I'll throw my take in on this since I'm coming up on my TDRL re-evaluation. The way the Office of Soldiers’ Counsel explained it to me is that the re-evaluation is a "holistic" look at your time since you came off active duty. They stated that if you go into a full time job/full time student and are able to do what people would consider "normal" things in life, then the evidence points to that you are getting better and that aligns with a decrease in percentage. So when the re-evaluation comes, the evaluation covers everything you have done since you left active duty. Did you continue treatment? If not, they take that as a sign you didn't need it because you got better. What does it say in your therapy notes? You were adjusting well/moved to a place you were comfortable, had family/friend support? What symptoms are documented in your medical/MH records after you left service? If the day you show up for your re-evaluation and all of a sudden have multiple new symptoms, it gives the re-evaluator evidence that will probably work against you because it contradicts your records. Consistent documentation of your symptoms is what is needed to get a proper rating/PDRL determination.

Personally for me, it took me over a year to get enough treatment to actually be able to hold a job that is well below what I was doing on active duty. I'm also struggling in my job and have a psychologist's note that says I can take a break/leave work when needed--something that is not "normal". I also ended up involuntary hospitalized in the past year, and I now live in a place that is one of my primary stressors with zero family/friend support (not by choice). All this and a container of medications to just function daily and barley sleep at night. And it's all documented. I'm not too worried about my re-evaluation because I was consistent in seeking MH and medical treatment since I left AD and I conveyed my symptoms to multiple providers, so it paints a consistent picture of my life for the past 18 months.

So there is not clear answer to jeopardizing PDRL, it depends on where you were when you left active duty to where you are when you get re-evaluate.

You don't say what your VA ratings by contention are so it is hard to say. If you are 70% just for MH and you do well in college, your 70% should go down.

Thanks chaplaincharlie. That helps

I'll throw my take in on this since I'm coming up on my TDRL re-evaluation. The way the Office of Soldiers’ Counsel explained it to me is that the re-evaluation is a "holistic" look at your time since you came off active duty. They stated that if you go into a full time job/full time student and are able to do what people would consider "normal" things in life, then the evidence points to that you are getting better and that aligns with a decrease in percentage. So when the re-evaluation comes, the evaluation covers everything you have done since you left active duty. Did you continue treatment? If not, they take that as a sign you didn't need it because you got better. What does it say in your therapy notes? You were adjusting well/moved to a place you were comfortable, had family/friend support? What symptoms are documented in your medical/MH records after you left service? If the day you show up for your re-evaluation and all of a sudden have multiple new symptoms, it gives the re-evaluator evidence that will probably work against you because it contradicts your records. Consistent documentation of your symptoms is what is needed to get a proper rating/PDRL determination.

Personally for me, it took me over a year to get enough treatment to actually be able to hold a job that is well below what I was doing on active duty. I'm also struggling in my job and have a psychologist's note that says I can take a break/leave work when needed--something that is not "normal". I also ended up involuntary hospitalized in the past year, and I now live in a place that is one of my primary stressors with zero family/friend support (not by choice). All this and a container of medications to just function daily and barley sleep at night. And it's all documented. I'm not too worried about my re-evaluation because I was consistent in seeking MH and medical treatment since I left AD and I conveyed my symptoms to multiple providers, so it paints a consistent picture of my life for the past 18 months.

So there is not clear answer to jeopardizing PDRL, it depends on where you were when you left active duty to where you are when you get re-evaluate.

This is great info. Thanks for sharing.
So I'm going to continue treatment.
Take my meds.
And try to communicate well with my providers so that everything is documented.