PTSD

buckusn

Registered Member
I have been diagnosed with PTSD and likely TBI as a result of two deployments to Afghanistan in 2010-2011 and 2013-2014. During my deployments I was exposed to death, injury, blasts, enemy fire, and other hostel situations. I was also exposed to one vehicle accident during a convoy where we nearly fell off a embankment. As a result of my injuries I have been battling an addiction to alcohol in which I required 32 days of inpatient treatment and months of follow up care. My quality of life has changed and I am unable to perform my job requirements due to anxiety, hyper-vigilance, startle response and depression. My providers have stated that I will never be able to return to full duty and be placed with an operational unit due to my treatment requirements and medications. This is both depressing and a huge relief. I am personally unsure how I would truly react to a hostile situation in a combat environment and I feel that I would be placing my unit in danger because of this unknown outcome. I have found that I am better able to control my symptoms when I am not at work or in a military environment. Although my symptoms will always be present I believe that with time I will be able to live a somewhat normal life. My provider is currently working with me in connection with Safe Harbor/Navy Wounded Warrior to help me obtain a service dog that will help mitigate my PTSD symptoms.
1st Period of LIMDU started 30 March 2018. My main provider is referring me to the TBI clinic and after the first period expects me to be submitted for a MEB. It is nerve racking being in 16+ years and not knowing what will happen and not having too much control over what the board will come back with. My ideal outcome would be retirement early but I have a feeling I will be going to 20 years.
Does anyone have a story close to mine that can offer their experience? Thank you in advance.