script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

QTC Re-evaluation results

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am at a loss right now. I had a QTC exam completed remotely for re-eval of PTSD. I’m assuming this was my TDRL vs PDRL exam as I have not requested a re-eval and have only been out about 9 months. I was reduced from 70% to 50%. I am very familiar with the requirements of each percentage. I have been in therapy weekly and am followed by a psychiatrist both through my local VA. I do not have any change based on percentage criteria and felt that I expressed this in my evaluation. I guess I’m appealing? This is such an added stressor in my life. I did what I was supposed to do. Kept up with care followed all the advice I was given. I am now at a loss as to how to appeal successfully. My local VSO was of no help in previous encounters. I am not sure where to go for help. Has anyone experienced this recently and have words of advice.

Provis

You can challenge a TDRL exam. I have attached some resources. You can contact Office of Soldiers' Counsel (OSC) out of Fort Knox and they can assist you.

Attachments

• TDRL FAQ (14 JAN 2015).pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 24
  • TDRL Legal Counsel Trifold.pdf
    574.7 KB · Views: 11

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you.
I am confused by the exam. My VA rating changed. I have not been informed that this exam was for DOD/TDRL. I have also not been notified that my DOD percentage changed. How does that work? Will it just automatically drop as well? Will I be informed? Do I have to appeal both separately?

Elementglt

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you.
I am confused by the exam. My VA rating changed. I have not been informed that this exam was for DOD/TDRL. I have also not been notified that my DOD percentage changed. How does that work? Will it just automatically drop as well? Will I be informed? Do I have to appeal both separately?
I am sure one of the experienced guys on here can attempt to answer your question so what (lots of personal variables), I am sorry I cannot. Good luck and God bless @chaplaincharlie @oddpedestrian

FmrArmyAvatr

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You probably had a VA RFE (Routine Future Exam) exam for your PTSD and not our TDRL revaluation. They are two separate exams, one is VA (RFE) and the other is DOD (TDRL). I'm in the process right now for both a TDRL and VA RFE exam. My TDRL exam is being done though the local MTF and my VA RFE exam is being conducted by QTC. From what I have read somewhere (probably on this forum) the TDRL revaluation deals with the "whole life" adjustment from the time you got out of the Army vs. the VA RFE being concerned with how you are doing "right now (today)". I defer to the more experienced people on this forum because they can provide you a better answer to your situation.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
First, you need to determine if it was a DoD re-exam or VA. It seems like VA you need not to file for an increase to be re-examined when you left service a RFE was imputed on your file (Routine Future Exam). How long ago were you notified of the reduction it should have been paperwork sent by the VA explaining the proposed reduction?

"I have been in therapy weekly and am followed by a psychiatrist both through my local VA. I do not have any change based on percentage criteria and felt that I expressed this in my evaluation."

Please review your therapy notes to verify that your providers are actually annotating what you are telling them correctly. Oftentimes this is where the problem lies your progress notes sometimes state that you are getting better or they just dont put down any of the bad things you are telling them this actually supports the reduction. If the notes are accurate its evidence you can use to fight the reduction.

You have due process rights to fight a VA reduction but you must move quickly. Within 30 days of being notified of the proposed reduction, you request a hearing at your closest VARO. You have the option to submit evidence within 90 days to support the higher rating as well. Afterwards, if the VA sticks with the examiner the will move forward with the reduction at that time you can file an HLR or supplemental review but you will have reduced benefits until you win again.

Within five years of being service-connected, it only takes one exam stating you are better for the VA to send a proposal to reduce after five years it takes two exams for them to do it.

Please review your medical notes meticulously via blue button here

I recommend finding a competent VSO through the DAV portal here.

Are you working or going to college even part time?

Last edited:

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
How would I find out if this is DOD? If it isn’t would they just go off this exam? Is DOD a whole different appeal process? Ok still 100% VA with the decrease. I’m concerned about my DOD % as that is the higher of the two payments and I only get one. Additionally it’s permanent if this was an exam for PDRL.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
How are you being notified of the decrease that's how you know, the VA mails you letters with a VA letterhead if you received it via a contractor, peblo, or email that's most likely DoD. The appeals for both are very different.

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
VA. Thanks for the info. I would assume it would be ideal to appeal this one and have my information reflected correctly in order to be ready for my DOD exam?

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You possibly may be screwed with this you stated even with the decrease you are still 100% are you certain this is true? Did you run it through a calculator? If that is a yes there is nothing you can do your due process rights isn't to your disability percentage but your pay since you are not losing any pay you have no right to appeal its a loophole the VA exploits sometimes.

Provis

When you do have your TDRL exam feel free to check out those resources I added in earlier post. Most people don't know that they can appeal a TDRL reduction.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you are TDRL, the military will re-evaluate you.

If you are receiving VA, the VA may re-evaluate you if your ratings are not permanent. Years ago, I got caught with this information by surprise. The proposed ratings were unclear that some of my VA ratings were subject to re-evaluation. I end up appealing the conditions that were not permanent and the VA concurred.

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have some follow up information to the thread and I’m hoping someone can help. My exam was for the VA. I was downgraded in my primary diagnosis from 70% to 50% but remained at 100% overall and received a letter stating that this rating was permanent. I have been on TDRL for a little over a year. I have reviewed the information that was provided in this thread for PDRL. Due to my experience with the VA downgrading my percentage I want to be proactive before my DOD exam and make sure I’m doing everything I can to prepare. I do not know what guidelines they go off of since my VA ratings and TDRL ratings were decided off the same QTC exam when I went through my med board. Is there guidance somewhere on these ratings?

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Mkay06

Are you working or going to school? The TDRL exam will probably work the same way they will send you to an exam and depending how that goes your rating will remain the same, downgrade, or upgrade.

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was working at the time of my VA eval. I lost my job in October and I am not in school.

FmrArmyAvatr

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was working at the time of my VA eval. I lost my job in October and I am not in school.
Here is what the Army regulation AR 635–40 says on page 29 relating to TDRL re-evaluation:
(2) Review of medical documentation prior to re-evaluation.
(a) No later than 16 months after temporarily retiring a Soldier for disability or after the Soldier’s previous re-evaluation, USAPDA will obtain and review available DOD medical treatment documentation, VA or Veteran-provided medical treatment or disability examination that occurred within 16 months of being placed on the TDRL, and rating documentation. If the documents reviewed are deemed sufficient and consistent with the requirements of 10 USC Chapter 61, USAPDA may rely on that documentation to determine whether there has been a change in disability(ies) for which the Soldier was temporarily retired without the requirement for additional physical examination.

So the Army may just get all your documentation and decided a rating based on your medical records without conducting an exam BUT since you say you lost your job and are not in school, I would definitely let USAPDA know that when your TDRL reevaluation comes around. Explain why you lost your job, was it due to your disability? Did you get angry at work and just have to leave sometimes? Did not have good relationships with your co-workers? Did you have additional medical issues that were caused or aggravated by work (stomach ulcer, headaches, etc). That's the kind of information that you need to let the Army know because the TDRL exam is looking at how impaired you are from doing your job as a Soldier, not like the VA exam that examines how you are just adjusting to civilian life.

t's a fine needle to thread, I was increased by the Army but initially reduced by the VA for the same condition. It took me six months to get the VA to increase my percentage to match my Army one, but it took me badgering the VA nonstop pointing out their errors on C&P exams and numerous other methods of attacking the contract C&P examiners DBQ. I even contacted the contract C&P examiner directly through their civilian e-mail address from their medical practices website and emailed them some documents that I suspected the VA was going to "accidently" leave out of the file they sent to them. And my suspicion was correct, they said those documents were not in the file they got...

What I did is a dangerous game with the VA and I don't recommend anyone doing it on their own if they do not understand the risk involved. I have nothing to lose by having a lower VA rating bc of my maxed out DOD percentage.

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yes I lost my job due to symptoms related to my diagnosis. I have not been able to apply for another one due to the same. My inability to work right now is only somewhat mitigated by the fact that I have money coming in from DOD/VA. Everything that could have possibly happened to me did last year. Therefore I don’t trust any process. I have three kids on my own with a mortgage I can’t pay. I’m not sure I could take one more blow at this point.

jhurdt

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yes I lost my job due to symptoms related to my diagnosis. I have not been able to apply for another one due to the same. My inability to work right now is only somewhat mitigated by the fact that I have money coming in from DOD/VA. Everything that could have possibly happened to me did last year. Therefore I don’t trust any process. I have three kids on my own with a mortgage I can’t pay. I’m not sure I could take one more blow at this point.
any update? are you PDRL?

Mkay06

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I haven’t received any word on a review for PDRL. I assume COVID may have delayed the process but I’m not sure. I’m 4 months shy of 2 years TDRL now and very stressed and anxious.