Question about Navy Timeline

mattyb

Registered Member
This is my first post here and I have a question for members that have gone through it before. I have been on a med board since Nov 2011 and my package and NMA were sent to DC in Dec 2011. I have been checking my status on the VA ebenefits site and it been in the review of evidence phase since January. Today, it finally changed to Preparation for a decision. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the time frame from this point until I get some kind of word on a decision. Also, how exactly does the PEB factor into this. Does the package go back to the PEB after review from the VA for a fit or unfit decision or is that done prior to sending it to the VA. Just trying to plan a little bit for the future and I'm not exactly sure how the whole process works from this point. Thanks for any help.

I'm a little ahead of you in this process, but from what I have learned ( one month ). When IPEB finds you fit/unfit. Fit gos back to you via PEBLO, Unfit gos to VA for rating. VA gives "VA " rating to military, Military rates you and the gos back to you via PEBLO. Then you take take it or appeal to go to FPEB. It sounds you got an unfitting from military and in the VA rateing part. (this is the IDES system)

What is the link VA website you use to see where in the VA sys. you are in. I'm eding up with a HTTP 404 Not Found error.

thanks

I don't understand why you get two ratings. What is the difference between the DOD and VA ratings?

Thanks for the answer alibs. That confirms what I was thinking. The link for the VA website is https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal. You will need a CAC card to make an account so that you can view your status. Just look under the tab that says my claims and compenstion once you are logged on.
Jessica, the difference is that the DOD only rates disabilities that are unfitting for continued service while the VA rates all service related conditions whether they are disqualifying or not.

Thanks for the answer alibs. That confirms what I was thinking. The link for the VA website is https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal. You will need a CAC card to make an account so that you can view your status. Just look under the tab that says my claims and compenstion once you are logged on.
Jessica, the difference is that the DOD only rates disabilities that are unfitting for continued service while the VA rates all service related conditions whether they are disqualifying or not.

I might add a clarification. BTW this is an Army answer for the NEW IDES MEB/PEB process, but all of the services are supposed to do all NEW MEB/PEB cases this way now. Also, this is what was explained to me by "people in the know" inside the5-side puzzle palace. It might be wrong, but it seems right and appears to be reflected in the various PR material posted around WRAMC Bethesda.

The MEB tells the "system" i.e. the PEB what is wrong with you (all in the line of duty and not existing prior to service) and makes a recommendation as to, of all of the things that are wrong with you, which ones they believe do not meet medical retention standards. The MEB, all of the paperwork reviewed by the MEB, and any additional statements provided go to the PEB. The PEB then reviews ONLY the conditions the MEB believes are unfitting and makes a determination that, based on the medical conditions believed to be unfitting, if they are in fact, unfitting. When the fit/unfit determination is made (and this where I have had difficulty understanding "the system"), one of two things happens: (1) if you are found FIT, the results are supposed to be returned to the PEBLO so you can move on with your life. HOWEVER and regardless of the PEB findings, the MEB and relevant medical documents are sent to the VA wherein the VA will provide you with your ratings for VA purposes only. (2) if you are found UNFIT by the PEB, your MEB and the relevant medical documents are sent to the VA wherein the VA will provide TWO sets of ratings: one rating as to the UNFIT conditions in accordance with the PEB findings, and another rating for all of your conditions for VA purposes.

So, by way of example, the MEB doctors state that you have 9 conditions (all incurred in the line of duty and not existing prior to service). Two (2) of the conditions are found not to meet medical retention standards (e.g. Type II Diabetes (on oral medication) and bilateral hallux limitus). You agree with the MEB findings (maybe you add a letter supporting or opposing the MEB findings) and they are sent to the PEB. The PEB then reviews all of the documentation provided (remember you also gave over a CO's recommendation, evaluations, awards, etc.) and determines whether or not the 2 conditions the MEB states do not meet medical retention standards actually do or do not meet medical retention standards. In theory, the PEB looks at a variety of factors (none really publicly acknowledged), which may included deployability, the ability to perform in your MOS, prior medical/physical profiles, and perhaps the combination of all factors together (including the ones found to meet medical retention standards), and makes a FIT or UNFIT determination:

(a) If the PEB determines that the 2 conditions the MEB determined where in fact not unfitting and finds you FIT, the PEB should send word to your PEBLO and you should be able to move on with your career. In the meantime, your MEB documents are sent to the VA to rate your conditions for VA disability compensation purposes for when you are discharged.

(b) If the PEB agrees with the MEB determination that the 2 conditions that did not meet medical retention standards, your MEB documents are sent to the VA for two sets of ratings: (1) to rate IAW with VA rating scheme, the 2 conditions found to be unfit. In this example, theoretically the ratings would come back at 40 percent. This particular rating would make you eligible for a medical retirement (a rating meeting or exceeding 30 percent) .. and off you go. The VA also provides a second disability compensation rating for the 9 (or more possible) conditions found by the MEB or in your medical records. In this example, the VA should return a rating of about 70 percent for the 9 conditions found by the MEB.

This is what is SUPPOSED to happen according to "people" in the 5-sided puzzle palace and what is published and posted in many of the Wounded Warrior areas at WRAMC Bethesda. Of course, communication is key but we can all read in these forums that many PEBLOs are not the best at communicating.

Please post corrections if you see any inconsistencies with what I think is the right path here.

My point, now that I read the post I wrote, was to say that DoD no longer provides ratings under the IDES system. The VA provides all ratings and DoD is required to accept them. DoD PEB merely makes a FIT/UNFIT determination.