Question about rating of DDD

aviva64

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If someone is found unfit for DDD of the cervical and lumbar spine is each segment rated separately or is the condition as a whole rated as one thing? I know there are two separate ROM for the cervical and lumbar spine but I am being told that it can be rated as one condition.

thanks

Robert Albright

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I received two seperate ratings, one for cervical, one for lumbar; also received ratings for each limb due to pain and numbness (radiculopathies).

Sgt. March

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It's my understanding also that they will each receive a separate rating. I think the whole a back is a back is a back thing only holds true to the type of injury I.E. bulging discs, herniated discs, ddd.. If they were all of the lumbar spine you'd only receive one rating but like in your case it should warrant two..

aviva64

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
thanks for that...if you don't mind me asking..what did you get percentage wise for each of those? He has had the cervical spine surgically repaired via fusion of c5,6,7 so technically it is getting better, meanwhile the lumbar is pretty bad still.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For rating purposes, there are two segments that are rated: thoracolumbar and cervical spine.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
In retrospect, unfortunately I have the same DDD issues in thoracolumbar and cervical spine. Upon recent receipt of my IPEB findings, the DoVA reasons for decision of each are as follows:

1. Evaluation of herniated lumbar disc with subjective-radiculopathy...for Disability Evaluation System (DES) purposes and proposed entitlement to service connection for DoVA benfits.
· We have assigned a 20 percent evaluation for your thoracolumbar spine based on:
o Forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 60 degrees (based on repetitive testing)
· The provisions of 38 CFR 4.40 and 4.45 concerning functional loss due to pain, fatigue, weakness, or lack of endurance, incoordination, and flare-ups, as cited in DeLuca v. Brown, 8 Vet. App. 202 (1995), have been considered and were applied based on additional joint limitation.
· A higher evaluation of 40 percent is not warranted unless there is forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine 30 degrees or less; or, favorable anklyosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine.

2. Proposed entitlement to service connection of cervical musculoligamentous strain...for DoVA benefits.
· We have assigned a 10 percent evaluation for your cervical spine base on:
o Combined range of motion of the cervial spne is greater than 170 degrees but not greater than 335 degrees (based on repetitive testing).
· Guarding not resulting in abnormal gait or abnormal spinal contour
· Additional symptom(s) include:
o Painful motion upon examination
· The provisions of 38 CFR 4.40 and 4.45 concerning functional loss due to pain, fatigue, weakness, or lack of endurance, incoordination, and flare-ups, as cited in DeLuca v. Brown, 8 Vet. App. 202 (1995), have been considered and were applied based on additional joint limitation.
· A higher evaluation of 20 percent is not warranted unless there is forward flexion of the cervical spine greater than 15 degrees but not greater than 30 degrees; or the combined range of motion of the cervical spine not greater than 170 degrees; or, muscle spasm or guarding severe enough to result in an abnormal gait or abnormal spinal contour such as scoliosis, reversed lordosis, or abnormal kyphosis.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">