Question about vocational training

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
my whiskey and Xanax have gotten the best of me tonight. What is the VA training program called? Something to do with vocational... Anyway, I have no desire or drive to work again. My disease is myasthenia Gravis and basically I get tired extremely easily, and then I simply cannot walk or climb stairs at all, until allowed an hour of rest and time for meds to kick in. I am retiring to a small 6 acre farm, and would like the chance to "relearn" some skills such as welding and carpentry. I don't have the stamina at all to pursue these skills in full time employment but I can work like hell for 30 minutes to an hour at a time and so how do I pursue classes in these trades when I am not seeking employment in them in the slightest?

It's Voc-Rehab, their goal is to return you to the workforce, so you might want to develop a plan of how the welding and carpentry skills will help you do that. If they approve, they should pay 100% for tuition, and books, and supplies needed for the training. Depending on how many hours of training you can do, you may qualify for a living stipend as well.

There is an e-book by Benjamin Krause regarding Voc-Rehab in's and out's that may be of use to you.

Hope this helps...

Look into ILP, Independent Living Program. It falls under Voc Rehab, but it doesn't have to goal of returning you to the workforce, has the goal of making you independent and life less sucky. They can help support a hobby, carpentry tools is a somewhat common request. They can approve classes without a goal towards a degree.

Sign up for voc rehab. When they assess you and you say you're good for 30 minutes and then need to rest for 2 hour, they're not going to see you as employable. Then it leads into the ILP discussion. It appears people can get tripped up by how open ended and limitless the possibilities can be. Try to express things in goal format, some end state you're trying to reach, not just a bunch of things you wanna try out. Voc Rehab wants to help you meet a goal.

In theory Voc Rehab has a self employment track too, but ILP seems more suited to what you're talking about.