Question! I need help!

Airforce008

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I’ve been going through medical for a low back injury for a little over 6 months now. I’ve done physical therapy, mri/CT scan, pain management/injections, pain medicine everything you can think of I’ve done. MRI shows a buldging disk in low back. It’s been causing nothing but pain, pain in my legs, and numbness/tingling. So I’ve been on profile of course for 6 months also. I’ve been fighting with my PCM to go ahead and put admin duty on my profile so my supervision can look at it and keep me sitting down because it’s extremely difficult to do my job(engine mechanic). PCM stated that if she puts me on a admin duty profile it starts a Med board because I can’t do my job, this was about 2 weeks ago and I told her at this point I’m ok with it. So I had a ROM eval with physical therapy 2 days ago which my PCM ordered me to get. Of course my range of motion is compromised but anyway, yesterday I got a call from my PCM saying that she’s going to put certain restrictions on my profile for the next 30 days but after that I will Not be on profile any longer. She told me that my injury is not severe even though I’ve been going to her for the last 6 months for the same issue, same pain, same numbness and even went to the hospital for it flaring up really bad to where I couldnt Walk. She told me not to get the injections again because it made it worse the last time and that I myself need to ask for an alternative, which I did and the only thing the doctors told me is that they were going to try a different spot on my low back to inject. She told me I will Not be getting Med boarded. She stated that after this profile I will Return to duty and let my command administratively separate me if the problem persists and can’t do my job…. At this point I feel Like I’m getting the run around and mishandled. I feel Like my PCM is busy trying to retain me so hard instead of actually listening to what I’m saying about my issues. I feel like she’s taking a medical risk with my health by pushing for me to return to duty and I’m not fixed (getting worse actually). So I need Help in what to do or if anybody has gone through the same thing with their doctor!?

I would go to your shirt and get their advise. Also go to the Patient advocate on base and try and switch PCM's. I have the same low back issues, bulging disc, numbness etc. They put me on a profile with Duty Restrictions and Mobility Restrictions, with specific restrictions on lifting, pushing, pulling and climbing (also have bilateral hip condition) Fitness limitations and No Deploy. I'm also a maintainer (Weapons) You shouldn't have to do this for yourself but if you get into DAFMAN48-123 Chp 4 and the MSD (Medical Standards Directory) Section K, you may find something that matches your condition that deems you unfit for service. If you take that information to the PCM they don't really have a choice but to push you to the board for a decision. You could also take that info to the Shirt/CC and let them fight on your behalf. Just make sure you speak to your supervisor/supervision before doing all of this so they're in the loop and not blindsided by anything. Maybe they can help advocate for you.

I would go to your shirt and get their advise. Also go to the Patient advocate on base and try and switch PCM's. I have the same low back issues, bulging disc, numbness etc. They put me on a profile with Duty Restrictions and Mobility Restrictions, with specific restrictions on lifting, pushing, pulling and climbing (also have bilateral hip condition) Fitness limitations and No Deploy. I'm also a maintainer (Weapons) You shouldn't have to do this for yourself but if you get into DAFMAN48-123 Chp 4 and the MSD (Medical Standards Directory) Section K, you may find something that matches your condition that deems you unfit for service. If you take that information to the PCM they don't really have a choice but to push you to the board for a decision. You could also take that info to the Shirt/CC and let them fight on your behalf. Just make sure you speak to your supervisor/supervision before doing all of this so they're in the loop and not blindsided by anything. Maybe they can help advocate for you.
Great advice! It's hard when a PCM basically doesn't believe you. Their job isn't to offload you to be admin separated. Also, an admin separation wouldn't work because your required to do a Head to Toe medical exam on your way out and if they find a condition that is unfitting they are supposed to enroll you into IDES.

Great advice! It's hard when a PCM basically doesn't believe you. Their job isn't to offload you to be admin separated. Also, an admin separation wouldn't work because your required to do a Head to Toe medical exam on your way out and if they find a condition that is unfitting they are supposed to enroll you into IDES.
Right exactly!!. It seems like She’s at the end of her rope with treatment plans which I underStand, but pushing me to work like the problem is fixed is definitely the reason I feel I’m being mishandled.

So I’ve been going through medical for a low back injury for a little over 6 months now. I’ve done physical therapy, mri/CT scan, pain management/injections, pain medicine everything you can think of I’ve done. MRI shows a buldging disk in low back. It’s been causing nothing but pain, pain in my legs, and numbness/tingling. So I’ve been on profile of course for 6 months also. I’ve been fighting with my PCM to go ahead and put admin duty on my profile so my supervision can look at it and keep me sitting down because it’s extremely difficult to do my job(engine mechanic). PCM stated that if she puts me on a admin duty profile it starts a Med board because I can’t do my job, this was about 2 weeks ago and I told her at this point I’m ok with it. So I had a ROM eval with physical therapy 2 days ago which my PCM ordered me to get. Of course my range of motion is compromised but anyway, yesterday I got a call from my PCM saying that she’s going to put certain restrictions on my profile for the next 30 days but after that I will Not be on profile any longer. She told me that my injury is not severe even though I’ve been going to her for the last 6 months for the same issue, same pain, same numbness and even went to the hospital for it flaring up really bad to where I couldnt Walk. She told me not to get the injections again because it made it worse the last time and that I myself need to ask for an alternative, which I did and the only thing the doctors told me is that they were going to try a different spot on my low back to inject. She told me I will Not be getting Med boarded. She stated that after this profile I will Return to duty and let my command administratively separate me if the problem persists and can’t do my job…. At this point I feel Like I’m getting the run around and mishandled. I feel Like my PCM is busy trying to retain me so hard instead of actually listening to what I’m saying about my issues. I feel like she’s taking a medical risk with my health by pushing for me to return to duty and I’m not fixed (getting worse actually). So I need Help in what to do or if anybody has gone through the same thing with their doctor!?
Switch PCMs. There are a lot of bad ones out there who don’t want to do their jobs, rather they want to look good to get ahead. I have had a lot of bad PCMs and I’ve also had okay ones and horrible ones. I had one day that my testicular pain wasn’t related to my back pain, refused to put in a referral to urology. I got another PCM to put in the referral, and guess what, the lower back pain is causing the testicular pain. Some of them act like gods, and don’t want to refer service members out. At the end of the day you are your own advocate, if they want to play games, play back!

Switch PCMs. There are a lot of bad ones out there who don’t want to do their jobs, rather they want to look good to get ahead. I have had a lot of bad PCMs and I’ve also had okay ones and horrible ones. I had one day that my testicular pain wasn’t related to my back pain, refused to put in a referral to urology. I got another PCM to put in the referral, and guess what, the lower back pain is causing the testicular pain. Some of them act like gods, and don’t want to refer service members out. At the end of the day you are your own advocate, if they want to play games, play back!
I agree 100 percent !!!!

Exactly!! Im right there with you! Once I’m gone the air force will keep moving lol so It’s no way I can play with my health.