Question regarding Excess leave

Telly2834

Registered Member
I need someone's input. Little backstory....I am a 22 year career AGR in the Air National Guard. I am currently in the IPEB stage of my Medical Board towards my retirement. My PEBLO is telling me that it'll likely only be another 4-5 weeks before I should get my ratings back. With all that said, I am currently dealing with some serious family issues at home and have run out of annual leave to take care of them. Is it a possibility for me to take excess leave and be able to finish my time in a "no-pay status"? I haven't really been able to find any information that expands on when you can take excess leave. Are there any other options that I haven't considered that I could also utilize possibly?

Per DFAS.

Excess leave is leave taken beyond the amount that can be accrued in the member's remaining period of service. Excess leave is a no-pay status; therefore, entitlement to pay and allowances and leave accrual stops on the first day of excess leave. Excess leave may be authorized in emergencies provided that the total of all leave granted (accrued + advance + excess) does not exceed 60 days and that advance leave is used before the excess leave. See DoD Instruction 1327.06, "Leave and Liberty Policy and Procedures" for further details www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.

I would check the regulations of your service.

Ron