Question Regarding Promotion Last Day of Service

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
1. Yes definitely go throug IDES, they should be required to extend you while you’re in ides.

2. If you are IDES and not legacy then dod is required to use the same ratings as VA. But get a competent lawyer and do a lot of your own research, don’t trust that it will all work out.

Tony; can you drill-down on line 2: "If you are IDES and not legacy then DOD is required to use the same ratings as VA" I'm new at this.

Appreciate your expertise brother.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So what that means is say you have pTSD and VA rates it at 70%. That means that DOD cannot rate you at 50 or 30% for PTSD. They have to rate you at 70 just like VA did.

The bad part is that DOD while they cannot change a VA rating, they can decide what conditions are or are not “fit for duty”. So let’s say VA rates you at 30% for back problems and 50% for ptsd. Dod can decide that either or both conditions are or are not fit for duty.

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey thanks; appreciate the fill in. It seems like you're right on target on DOD, VA, and SSDI disability.

On your PEB Timeline; 30JUN16 you got promoted to MAJ, that's squared away. As of yesterday, 4MAY19, I got pass for my MAJ, maybe it's the MH; although I have a flawless OER as an O3. It's getting to that stage brother; no job, trying to keep up with VA appointments.

What are your thoughts? I have one more boarding for O4 next year; and if that fails, I'm discharged for good. I need to walk away with at least 30% DOD rating for Tricare; but I feel like I'm done, got to much going on brother.

Again, congratulations bro on your medical retirement.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hey thanks; appreciate the fill in. It seems like you're right on target on DOD, VA, and SSDI disability.

On your PEB Timeline; 30JUN16 you got promoted to MAJ, that's squared away. As of yesterday, 4MAY19, I got pass for my MAJ, maybe it's the MH; although I have a flawless OER as an O3. It's getting to that stage brother; no job, trying to keep up with VA appointments.

What are your thoughts? I have one more boarding for O4 next year; and if that fails, I'm discharged for good. I need to walk away with at least 30% DOD rating for Tricare; but I feel like I'm done, got to much going on brother.

Again, congratulations bro on your medical retirement.

How many years do you have in? If facing another board, the above the zone numbers are usually low. I’d try for another good OER and at the same time get all of your medical stuff ready. If you are in IDES, I don’t think they can discharge you until the process is complete. If you get passed over a second time you’ll have until the first day of the seventh month after the bird results are published to get out/retire.

If you don’t have enough years in I’d say try for the medical retirement.

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm hitting 20 years this year (combine guard/active duty); 22 years (2 bad year) altogether.

Pending: VA claim approval for MH and Skin condition.

Rating: VA rating stands 20% (torn rotator); 20 %(lower back herniated disk); 10% GERD

Confirmed: If results comes in May 2020 for 2nd boarding; if pass from MAJ Board, DEC2020 mandatory removal.

RFI: Do you recommend initiating MEB without VA final rating for the skin and MH condition?

Did you retire AD/ARNG?

I'm currently in the NVARNG.

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
1. Yes definitely go throug IDES, they should be required to extend you while you’re in ides.

2. If you are IDES and not legacy then dod is required to use the same ratings as VA. But get a competent lawyer and do a lot of your own research, don’t trust that it will all work out.

Tony292: Did you retire from the National Guard or Active Duty? I'm currently fighting at 40% VA; with pending cases through the pipeline. Part of me want's to continue beyond 22 years; but the body is saying "No"; as I'm beginning to realize that I'm no longer the stud I used to be at 20s or 30s; with bad-back for my grunt years; and other functions.

Other than hiring a competent lawyer; Any other DO's/DON'T?

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Tony292: Did you retire from the National Guard or Active Duty? I'm currently fighting at 40% VA; with pending cases through the pipeline. Part of me want's to continue beyond 22 years; but the body is saying "No"; as I'm beginning to realize that I'm no longer the stud I used to be at 20s or 30s; with bad-back for my grunt years; and other functions.

Other than hiring a competent lawyer; Any other DO's/DON'T?

I retired from active duty. Only recommendation is to make the process take as long as possible. For me personally, every month I spent in IdES was one more month of 03E over 18 replacing one more month of 03E over 16.... so for the high 36, stretching it out made a difference on the retired pay.

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I retired from active duty. Only recommendation is to make the process take as long as possible. For me personally, every month I spent in IdES was one more month of 03E over 18 replacing one more month of 03E over 16.... so for the high 36, stretching it out made a difference on the retired pay.

Tony I found out that I made the boarding for O4; it was an oversight by my command team; will try to extend as I finalized my MEDBOARD file.

It's a different beast in NG; but it is what it is.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Ok f you have trouble getting g the promotion, lawyer up and reference title 10 USC 1372.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">