QUESTION

Vmann5508

Registered Member
You seem very knowledgeable. I wanted to see if you could maybe answer a question for me. I got injured March of 2020 doing the deadline during a diagnostic ACFT. They never did imaging but I did do 4 months of physical therapy. After months of PT didn’t help I finally asked for the third time if they could do imaging. They did in Sept and found a wedge deformity with fragmentation and Schmorl nodes and I got sent for a MRI. It showed the “chronic” appearing wedge deformity, bulging disc with annular tear etc., and intervertebral discogenic disease. I tried a few other things that my PCM wanted and then was sent to pain management. The doctor there basically said my diagnosis was early age appropriate splondylosis. My PCM is discussing med board. If it’s considered age appropriate would I even get a DOD rating and do you think the wedge deformity went undetected due to them not doing images and now they are sweeping it under the rug?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The only was to be medically retired or separated is for the PEB to find one of more conditions unfitting. Otherwise you are returned to duty. If the PEB finds one more conditions unfitting, you are separated if the condition(s) are 20% or less. If the conditions are 30% or more you are retired.

Vmann5508

Registered Member
They are talking about doing a fit for duty exam, or waiting 60 days until I’ve been on profile a year for a MedBoard. I just didn’t know if it’s considered age appropriate if I would get rated for DOD.

Provis

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
They are talking about doing a fit for duty exam, or waiting 60 days until I’ve been on profile a year for a MedBoard. I just didn’t know if it’s considered age appropriate if I would get rated for DOD.
Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. You can be MED boarded right away or they can give you up to 12 months on profile. Its up to the PCM and your commander. My wife is about to be Med Boarded and a year ago her PCM requested a fit for duty after only a month after diagnosis. Her PCM requested that her commander submit memo for fit for duty right away since her condition was not expected to improve. However, her commander wanted to give her more time to see if she could improve even though it was unlikely. So the commander rescinded the fit for duty request and gave her a year to try to improve to be deployable with her condition. Its now been a year and since she didn't improve she will likely be Med Boarded after having her fit for duty exam. This is for Army by the way. The other branches allow for limited duty assignments if they think you just need time to improve but can't do your current job right now with your medical issues.

Provis

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I apologize I didn’t explain better. They are saying the splondylosis is age appropriate.
Oh! To the military if the condition does not allow you to do your job they will medically separate you most likely. IDES is the process and you get a DOD% & a VA% so no need to go to the VA when you are out. DOD% is based on the condition when you are separated and won't change. So if you get 20% rating and that's your only unfitting condition then you will receive severance. It doesn't matter for DOD if later on it gets worse or not. The only thing for DOD is rated condition and if its stable meaning it won't get better or worse for the next few years. The VA% is rated at time you are discharged. However, the rating can go up or down based on if your medical condition gets better or worse. I hope that better answers your question!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">